Scorcese's "Departed" trailer...

paulnicepaulnice 924 Posts
edited July 2006 in Strut Central
Marty's remake of Infernal Affairs.We shall see...

Comments

• DjArcadianDjArcadian 3,630 Posts
    I really don't like his casting choices in this one.... or his last two either.

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    I have faith in Scorsese. I think it will be a good film.

• ZuffNomedZuffNomed 42 Posts
    shit looks like it will be good.

• dayday 9,612 Posts

Marty's remake of Infernal Affairs.

You mean this?

That's in my top 3 movies of all time.

The new Scorcese looks pretty good. I agree, the casting is a little strange, but I'll check it out.

• HAZBEENHAZBEEN 564 Posts

Marty's remake of Infernal Affairs.

You mean this?

That's in my top 3 movies of all time.

The new Scorcese looks pretty good. I agree, the casting is a little strange, but I'll check it out.

I think paul means this:

http://www.hkflix.com/xq/asp/filmID.527473/qx/details.htm

Is this going to be a triad movie?

peace

h

• dayday 9,612 Posts

I'm not up on my Hong Kong cinema at all. I was gonna say dude took some serious liberties, eh?

• MoSSMoSS 458 Posts
    They've changed the gangs to Irish for the remake since it takes place in Boston.

One thing I was wondering was if this was a remake of the first, or if this is based on the trilogy. They put out that 5 1/2 hour blend that mixed all 3 movie's together a year or two ago in HK. Maybe they decided to do that instead unless they want the potential sequel money?

That trailer doesn't really blow me away. I'm not a fan of remake's, but you'd think this would be a no brainer. I'm not sure how you could fuck this one up?

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts

I'm not up on my Hong Kong cinema at all. I was gonna say dude took some serious liberties, eh?

You should check it out. Top film.

• cpeetzcpeetz 2,112 Posts
    Looks as though it could be dope.
    Here's my question, Is there a Rolling Stones song
    he hasn't used ?
    Didn't he use "Gimme Shelter" in Goodfellas?
    I'm a big fan, but sheez give it a rest already.
    Why not tap into all that blues stuff from the PBS
    documentary instead.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Yeah, I find the casting a little over-the-top. I think it'll be hard for people familiar with the original - which was INFERNAL Affairs, not INTERNAL Affairs, by the way - to sit through this without constantly referencing back to the original and trying to compare.

The original is a fantastic film - easily one of the best HK police dramas in the last ten years - and I can see Hollywood's interest in remaking it. In some ways, if Scorsece actually tries to just clone the original, it might turn out decently. I'd be very surprised if it were superior.

• paulnicepaulnice 924 Posts

They've changed the gangs to Irish for the remake since it takes place in Boston.

Yes. It's a mix between the Infernal Affairs plot and this...

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Nicholson's character is apparently based on the infamous Whitey Bulger.
    If you're not up on these guys, do yourself a favor and cop this book now.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    Someone needs to take Scorcese and shake him and
    shake him until he realizes Leonardo DiCaprio should
    NOT BE STARRING IN HIS MOVIES!!!

He's been making some decent films the past few years,
    and they are all but completely ruined by having that
    dude at top billing ... he can't act, he has no charisma,
    and he always looks completely out of place in the roles.
    WHY DOES HE KEEP MAKING HIM THE STAR OF THESE MOVIES!?!?!

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    who is playing sam?

Someone needs to take Scorcese and shake him and
    shake him until he realizes Leonardo DiCaprio should
    NOT BE STARRING IN HIS MOVIES!!!

He's been making some decent films the past few years,
    and they are all but completely ruined by having that
    dude at top billing ... he can't act, he has no charisma,
    and he always looks completely out of place in the roles.
    WHY DOES HE KEEP MAKING HIM THE STAR OF THESE MOVIES!?!?!

Yeah, I really don't know what he sees in him (I hope it's not a young Bobby D).
    Anyway, I thought Gangs of NY and The Aviator were very sub-standard Marty.
    (And let's not even talk about Bringing Out The Dead. You gotta wonder if the guy is really starting to lose his touch)
    Gangs was just completely forgettable and just all wrong.
    As detailed a director he is, there was SO much he missed in the book that it was just painful to contemplate.
    Leo was whatever, but no actor could have saved that film IMO.
    The Aviator on the other hand is another story.
    Leo had to carry that film and he is definitely NO Howard Hughes.
    Hughes was a man's man. A guy who could hang with Hemingway in every manner.
    Leo simply doesn't cut that image. He's still very much a boy.
    And it's too bad, because with the right actor, the Aviator could have been a lot better.
    And Marty really needs to not be afraid of taking the scissors to his films once in a while.
    Not every movie he makes has to be 3 hours long.

who is playing sam?

You mean Eric Tsang's character? Good question.
    Joe Pesci would be perfect IMO. Not the same old Tommy role.
    Did you see Tsang in "Men Suddenly In Black"? Funny stuff.
    Speaking of Pesci though, I read this interesting article on him a few months back that talked about how the guy basically dropped off the face of the earth these last few years and nobody seemed to even notice.
    I guess he's gonna be in the upcoming DeNiro directed pic.
    I miss the guy.
    Would like to see just one more Marty/Bobby/Pesci team-up before I die though.
    Please? Before everyone is really too old??

• Marty's remake of Infernal Affairs.
    We shall see...

Am I the only one to HATE that awful irish folk music in this trailer??

Being a huge fan of the OG HK one, this trailer is

Hope Marty will shut my mouth!

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    They put out that 5 1/2 hour blend that mixed all 3 movie's together a year or two ago in HK.

Whoa! I'd like to check that out - anyone here seen it? I'm assuming it's the same kind of thing as that for-TV re-edit of "The Godfather" pts. I & II from way back, where the storyline followed a more conventionally linear/chronological pattern. Gotta co-sign O-Dub's assessment of I.A. as well. Part II was a little weak compared to the first (probably due to the absence of leads as strong as Tony Leung and Andy Lau), and the multiple plot twists in Part III made my head spin. Nevertheless, the Scorsese take on it has got to be worth a look - at least it looks as if it's not going to be a straight copy of the original source material.

who is playing sam?

Jack Nicholson, by the look of that trailer.

• crazypoprockcrazypoprock 1,037 Posts
    they were filming for this on my block last month. a lot of it was filmed in brooklyn heights and carroll gardens.

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    Damon and DiCaprio?

Looks like Scorcese's gone for broke with baby faced actors in this one.

I'll be happy to be proven wrong but those two aren't the first names that come to mind when you're looking for the kind of emotional gravitas needed for these leads.

That clip also has me worried that we're going to get a Shining/Joker Jack Nicholson rather than a Chinatown/Five Easy Pieces Jack Nicholson.

Damon and DiCaprio? Looks like Scorcese's gone for broke with baby faced actors in this one.

Scorsese probably needs the star power to justify his budgets. In the end his last few films probably broke even but I don't think any of them made a load of money.

Damon and DiCaprio?

I'll be happy to be proven wrong but those two aren't the first names that come to mind when you're looking for the kind of emotional gravitas needed for these leads.

That clip also has me worried that we're going to get a Shining/Joker Jack Nicholson rather than a Chinatown/Five Easy Pieces Jack Nicholson.

I think they're probably in the right age range; in I.A., the two central characters are recent graduates from the HK Police Academy, so the corresponding characters in this film really oughn't to be grizzled veterans either. Di Caprio and Damon aren't my favourite actors, but they're still pretty good compared to a lot of their contemporaries. The days of those Scorsese/De Niro collabs are long gone (as is the Chinatown/Five Easy Pieces Nicholson), and props to him for trying to move forward.

Damon and DiCaprio?

I think they're probably in the right age range; in I.A., the two central characters are recent graduates from the HK Police Academy, so the corresponding characters in this film really oughn't to be grizzled veterans either. Di Caprio and Damon aren't my favourite actors, but they're still pretty good. The days of those Scorsese/De Niro collabs are long gone (as is the Chinatown/Five Easy Pieces Nicholson), and props to him for trying to move forward.

DeNiro was actually supposed to star in this but had to drop out for some reason.

Damon and DiCaprio?

I think they're probably in the right age range; in I.A., the two central characters are recent graduates from the HK Police Academy, so the corresponding characters in this film really oughn't to be grizzled veterans either. Di Caprio and Damon aren't my favourite actors, but they're still pretty good. The days of those Scorsese/De Niro collabs are long gone (as is the Chinatown/Five Easy Pieces Nicholson), and props to him for trying to move forward.

DeNiro was actually supposed to star in this but had to drop out for some reason.

Ah, OK - I stand corrected.

• CahootsCahoots 378 Posts
    -

• Strider79itStrider79it 1,176 Posts
    I really don't like his casting choices in this one.... or his last two either.

100 % cosign