cellphones in theatres / Miami Vice

DjArcadianDjArcadian 3,630 Posts
edited July 2006 in Strut Central
Seriously, saw Miami Vice last night and fucking cellphones were going off everywhere. WTF? And it's not like people shut their shit off. They start talking to these people. I told some lady to shut the fuck up and was ready to get in a fight with her brother/boyfriend when he tried to get involved. I was almost hoping for a fight I was so pissed. Dude, some common fucking decency people. I was so pissed that I completely missed the middle of the film. I'm talking blood boiling mad.Oh, and for those that care the film was garbage. Farrel looked fucking retarded in his getup, Jamie Foxx didn't get the screen time he deserved and they shot the whole thing on video which made it look like shit. Shit was pretty gory at times too.

Comments

• DjArcadianDjArcadian 3,630 Posts
    I realize that this isn't a new trend but I hardly see movies in theatres anymore. Especially on Friday nights. I guess lesson learned.

They need to get those cellphone jammers in theatres.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    i have absolutely no problem with yelling at people talking on their cell phones during movies. seriously, who the fuck do these people think they are?

• waxjunkywaxjunky 1,850 Posts
    I seriously thought about dumping my $5 Coke on some dude's head while he was talking on a cell phone in front of me a few years back. But then that would've escalated into a likely fight, so I figured I'd save the $5, finish the Coke, and just cut to the chase by sucker punching him from behind.

None of this happened, of course, because I'm a pacifist. Instead, I lost track of the middle part of the movie dreaming of different ways of stomping that inconsiderate piece of shit. In 2006, who doesn't realize that talking on cell phones in movie theaters is selfish and unnacceptable behavior?

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts
    I realize that this isn't a new trend but I hardly see movies in theatres anymore. Especially on Friday nights. I guess lesson learned.

Going out to see a movie on a Friday night is not the right move, holmes.
    Too many idoits populate the theatre on opening (Friday) night.
    Go see it on a Sunday afternoon. Matinee action is a must.

• grandpa_shiggrandpa_shig 5,799 Posts
    i remember i saw poetic justice on opening night which was a mistake cuz it was only showing in the one ghetto theatre in fresno and you could smoke and drink in the theatre. well, they didnt say no. anyways, when janet asks tupac if he wants to smell her punany someone yelled "GET THAT PUSSY TUPAC!!!" and that one part right before janet leaves on the road trip and there's like sappy music playing and she's looking at herself in the mirror throwing poses and shit and the theatre went nuts! the best part was at the end of that montage when she's posing in the mirror and then she breaks down and starts crying everyone started throwing beer bottles at the screen and then they turned the movie off and threw everyone out. that movie wouldve sucked so much ass if it werent for the interactivity of it all.

i remember i saw poetic justice on opening night which was a mistake cuz it was only showing in the one ghetto theatre in fresno and you could smoke and drink in the theatre. well, they didnt say no. anyways, when janet asks tupac if he wants to smell her punany someone yelled "GET THAT PUSSY TUPAC!!!" and that one part right before janet leaves on the road trip and there's like sappy music playing and she's looking at herself in the mirror throwing poses and shit and the theatre went nuts! the best part was at the end of that montage when she's posing in the mirror and then she breaks down and starts crying everyone started throwing beer bottles at the screen and then they turned the movie off and threw everyone out. that movie wouldve sucked so much ass if it werent for the interactivity of it all.
    You gotta love catching a flick in the hood.

• grandpa_shiggrandpa_shig 5,799 Posts

best part about that theatre is that it doubled as the local art house theatre and theyd show the rocky horror movie once a month at midnite. man, there aint nothing funnier than white folks dressed in fishnet stockings and wrestler panties standing in line at midnight. in the cuts.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

I saw this Aliens/The Fly double bill in the 80's
    at a messed-up old theater downtown that's now long gone.
    Halfway through Aliens you hear people in the front start
    screaming, and see them jumping up on chairs...hundreds of rats
    had busted through some pipe and were pouring up the theater
    right towards us in the back...people went nuts, rushing the exits
    and more than one dude pulled out a burner, all standing up on
    seat-back screaming "I'mma kill me some motherfuckin rats boy!!"

Total chaos.

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts

this sounds like my ideal movie experience. I saw the blair witch project at the magic johnson theatres in atlanta and it turned out to be one of the funnier movies ive ever been too.

I saw this Aliens/The Fly double bill in the 80's
    at a messed-up old theater downtown that's now long gone.
    Halfway through Aliens you hear people in the front start
    screaming, and see them jumping up on chairs...hundreds of rats
    had busted through some pipe and were pouring up the theater
    right towards us in the back...people went nuts, rushing the exits
    and more than one dude pulled out a burner, all standing up on
    seat-back screaming "I'mma kill me some motherfuckin rats boy!!"

Total chaos.

Holy Shit!

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

this sounds like my ideal movie experience. I saw the blair witch project at the magic johnson theatres in atlanta and it turned out to be one of the funnier movies ive ever been too.

I can see this - that would be the only thing that
    could save the waste of 90 minutes that was that movie hoax!

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    Farrel looked fucking retarded in his getup

"I'm a fiend for mojitos"

I likeded this schitt, though.

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    Farrel looked fucking retarded in his getup

"I'm a fiend for mojitos"

I likeded this schitt, though.

I find it really hard to believe that this is even a decent movie, but I'm sure incorporating your MJ uptown experience last night makes a difference.

• paulnicepaulnice 924 Posts

Hands down the best times I had at the movies were on the Duece.
    Saw a double bill of "Evil Dead 2" and "Near Dark". Shit was out of control.
    When Bruce Campbell hooked up that chainsaw to his hand ("groovy") the audience just lost it.
    They went crazy, throwing shit at the screen, screaming at the top of their lungs, yelling at Bruce and calling him "Rambo!" the whole time. Shit was great.
    The only bad thing was all the dirty looks/comments I got from half the black people there on account of my date being a beautiful redbone.
    Somewhere I still got a polaroid from that night, cause you know there was always some cat in the lobby taking flicks of couples for $5. He also sold single, long stemmed roses.
    But of course the best kind of flick to see in that environment are no doubt the "karate flicks", as they called em.
    The smell of weed (and jizz depending on whether or not the theater doubled as a blue movie house), the sound of bums snoring, since for 5 dollars these 24-hour theaters were a cheap way to catch Z's.
    One time I was watching "My Life Is On The Line" (aka "60 Second Assassin") at the Lyric (now the "Lion King Theater") and the projector broke at an extremely pivotal point. There was a semi riot.

Somewhere I still got a polaroid from that night, cause you know there was always some cat in the lobby taking flicks of couples for $5. He also sold single, long stemmed roses.
    After he's finished at the movies, he heads over to the club to set up shop.

• prof_rockwellprof_rockwell 2,867 Posts
    f*ckin a! major cosign on this faux pax. At my dance show tonight, someones phone starts ringing - and not just a ring, one of those annoying mp3/song rings - right at the top of the show. It's a small theather, about 60 people, and the phone is going off right next to me onstage. I look over and not a single person makes a move to turn it off. They let the shit ring for like a good 30 seconds. Fucking hell people, turn your shit off before you go into the theater.

• DjArcadianDjArcadian 3,630 Posts
    f*ckin a! major cosign on this faux pax. At my dance show tonight, someones phone starts ringing - and not just a ring, one of those annoying mp3/song rings - right at the top of the show. It's a small theather, about 60 people, and the phone is going off right next to me onstage. I look over and not a single person makes a move to turn it off. They let the shit ring for like a good 30 seconds. Fucking hell people, turn your shit off before you go into the theater.

The fucked shit is that the theatre I was at had TWO seperate "please turn off your cell phone" skits before the film.

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    Hey Arcadian,

Your experience is EXACTLY why I hate going to movie theaters. I rather rent DVDs, drink brews, and chill on the couch with wifey (and the pooch), WITHOUT dealing with obnoxious, rude, assholes. Fuck a theater!!!

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    the worst is adlibing, comments or question asking...

"is he her bnrother...who is that again?"

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    Hey Arcadian,

Your experience is EXACTLY why I hate going to movie theaters. I rather rent DVDs, drink brews, and chill on the couch with wifey (and the pooch), WITHOUT dealing with obnoxious, rude, assholes. Fuck a theater!!!

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

The celly going off doesn't bother me. What does, is the director commentary coming from the seat behind me.

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    Hey,

The problem is that IN GENERAL people are becoming more and more rude and self-absorbed. Perhaps, it's a function of the internet age, which by its nature, breeds social isolation, physically anyway. Since there is less social contact going on as a result, perhaps people fail to develop courtesy and empathy. Or, are parents just not teaching their children manners anymore? Hard to learn manners from the latchkey!!!

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    Hey,

The problem is that IN GENERAL people are becoming more and more rude and self-absorbed. Perhaps, it's a function of the internet age, which by its nature, breeds social isolation, physically anyway. Since there is less social contact going on as a result, perhaps people fail to develop courtesy and empathy. Or, are parents just not teaching their children manners anymore? Hard to learn manners from the latchkey!!!

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

I feel you man! (even though i'm 24). Courtesy and Empathy are .

Manners are also . I saw a dad tell his sons, "don't you see the sign right there, no diving?", it was actually quite refreshing.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    Hey,

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

i fully agree with this statement

i saw this sentiment exemplifiedwhile acting as transfer agent for a group of young medstudnts from canda here in peru. They were living in an Doctors house and the differences were stunning between the actions of people with a certain upbringing (which i consider normal) and other of the more independent north american culture

jesus... discipline and manners can be argued against in these modernedtimes but they remain

what pisses me off is that more and more the social construction seems to say that you can get away with it..and "if you dont want to you dont have to"

• mandrewmandrew 2,720 Posts
    i'd rather listen to a stranger's phone conversation that sit through that turd of a flick one more time
    i expected to be disappointed going in but this fell below expectations

if i have to ever watch collin farrell dance again i may burn out my eyes[/b]

his gruff speech in order to cover up his blimey accent was also aggravating
    "hola chica"[/b] hahahaha
    collin has been involved with (and partly the cause of) a lot of great director's bad films - alexander, new world, and now miami vice, and so i am now adding him to my list of actors who's films i can't see just because that actor is in it (right next to tom cruise)

ok, there were some a few interesting scenes and aspects to miami vice but i thought overall it was neither entertainting nor intellectually stimulating. the characters and the relationships amongst the characterrs were sorely under-developed, and the "gritty" cinematography was uninspired

my 2

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    Michael Mann is an overrated douche.

• leolyxxxleolyxxx 446 Posts
    Cosign on most things said in this topic, i mean i think it's annoying enough that my girlfriend can't sit still and whatch a whole movie but has to get up and do stuff all the time (really frustrating) but talking in cell phones during cinema visits man that deserves a beat down, i mean that should be like as equal common sense as remember to breath or look left and right before you go out in the street that has moving cars..

But if you don't like talking during movies, i guess you guys don't like Mystery Science Theater 3000 then?

/L

• Cosign on most things said in this topic, i mean i think it's annoying enough that my girlfriend can't sit still and whatch a whole movie

I totally sympathise mate, mine has to ask "Who's that ?" , Whats going on ?" etc when I have seen just as much of the movie as her...sends me round the twist...

• leolyxxxleolyxxx 446 Posts
    Cosign on most things said in this topic, i mean i think it's annoying enough that my girlfriend can't sit still and whatch a whole movie

I totally sympathise mate, mine has to ask "Who's that ?" , Whats going on ?" etc when I have seen just as much of the movie as her...sends me round the twist...

Hahahha EXACTLY! One more thing that even annoys me more about it is that she likes to do all this stuff, DON'T want me to pause the movie and then wants me to explain what happened....? WTF? That will just make me as unfocused

peas
    L

• rkwparkrkwpark 915 Posts

Go see it on a Sunday afternoon. Matinee action is a must.

yeah plus its cheaper for matinee... i actually enjoyed miami vice although having some subtitles when gong li was speaking wouldve been nice.

• SupergoodSupergood 1,213 Posts
    Seriously, saw Miami Vice last night and fucking cellphones were going off everywhere. WTF? And it's not like people shut their shit off. They start talking to these people.

I was so pissed that I completely missed the middle of the film. I'm talking blood boiling mad.

You're a Bay Area dude, right? By any chance, did you see this at the Century Plaza 20 in Daly City? I ALWAYS experience this kinda shit there.

SG