CORINNE BAILEY RAE APPRECIATION

Phill_MostPhill_Most 4,594 Posts
edited July 2006 in Strut Central
If you're over 12 years old it's time to go easy on the snappin' fingers and the chicken noodle soup (with a soda on the side) and get with some GROWN UP MUSIC. APPRECIATE THIS WOMAN, BATCHES.

Comments

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    man, i checked the album out after aser posted a thread about it and i can dig a good portion of it. she's a qt. i'm sure ya'll dig that she uses breaks on a few tracks (if i remember correctly)

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    http://www.soulstrut.com/ubbthreads/show...true#Post679773

I think a lot of people aren't feeling it because of the heavy handed record company push. Regardless, I think it's a decent album, goes nicely w/ my grown folk 1er cru sippin.

I tried to get ticks for her show but it was SOLD OOT.

• Phill_MostPhill_Most 4,594 Posts

I think a lot of people aren't feeling it because of the heavy handed record company push. Regardless, I think it's a decent album, goes nicely w/ my grown folk 1er cru sippin.

I don't even know nuthin' about the record company push, I just heard the schitt and loved it. GROWN FOLKS ONLY. I don't know how many grown folks are even on soulstrut but I represent that contingent. That schitt is some nice drivin' in the country or cleaning up the crib on a Sunday morning music. GET ON MY LEVEL.

you might be able to smoke a blunt and drink a 40 to it too

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    someone told me they play her a lot at starbucks? i was playing her at work (coffee shop) but i don't want it to seem like im biting..

corinne bailey rae is GANGSTA[/b] (does that make her more appealing to soulstrut???)

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    corinne bailey rae SOLD CRACK[/b] to fund her album release (does that make her more appealing to soulstrut???)

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts

I don't even know nuthin' about the record company push, I just heard the schitt and loved it. GROWN FOLKS ONLY. I don't know how many grown folks are even on soulstrut but I represent that contingent. That schitt is some nice drivin' in the country or cleaning up the crib on a Sunday morning music. GET ON MY LEVEL.

I saw a commercial for this on television last night and it looked/sounded like some shit for LITTLE KIDS

I saw a commercial for this on television last night and it looked/sounded like some shit for LITTLE KIDS

absolutely not... you'd have to be a grown up to understand this, though

you'd probably also need to have a woman

LET'S GET IT LET'S GET IT LET'S GET IT LET'S GET IT LET'S GET IT LET'S GET IT LET'S GET IT LET'S GET IT LET'S GET IT LET'S GET IT LET'S GET IT LET'S GET IT LET'S GET IT LET'S GET IT LET'S GET IT LET'S GET IT LET'S GET IT LET'S GET IT LET'S GET IT LET'S GET IT LET'S GET IT LET'S GET IT LET'S GET IT LET'S GET IT LET'S GET IT LET'S GET IT LET'S GET IT LET'S GET IT LET'S GET IT LET'S GET IT LET'S GET IT LET'S GET IT LET'S GET IT LET'S GET IT LET'S GET IT LET'S GET IT LET'S GET IT LET'S GET IT LET'S GET IT LET'S GET IT LET'S GET IT LET'S GET IT LET'S GET IT LET'S GET IT LET'S GET IT LET'S GET IT LET'S GET IT LET'S GET IT LET'S GET IT LET'S GET IT LET'S GET IT LET'S GET IT LET'S GET IT LET'S GET IT LET'S GET IT LET'S GET IT LET'S GET IT LET'S GET IT LET'S GET IT LET'S GET IT LET'S GET IT LET'S GET IT LET'S GET IT LET'S GET IT LET'S GET IT LET'S GET IT LET'S GET IT LET'S GET IT LET'S GET IT LET'S GET IT LET'S GET IT LET'S GET IT

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    Somebody post a track 4 meeeeeeeeeeee

Whats a better record.

Self titled or Put Your Records On?

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    Put Your Records On (1st single)

New Mastersounds - Your Love Is Mine

this has been my sdtrk for the past month, blends well w/ the grasshoppers chirp chirpin by my window.

OK, I can dig it...

I just grabbed the lp. Saw these also...

Bjork cover...

Venus As A Boy

&

Put Your Records On (Acoustic)

SOFT MUSIC.

relax yourself, please settle down

i can recommend some smooth jazz cds for youse as well if you'd like

SOFT MUSIC.

relax yourself, please settle down

Hold up.

Let me go put my smoking jacket on.

• OK, I can dig it...

I just grabbed the lp. Saw these also...

Bjork cover...

Venus As A Boy

&

Put Your Records On (Acoustic)

there was a single that came out before "Put your Records On" that was on some serious subtle and gentle beauty shit. Wish I remembered the name of the track, if anybody kjnows what song I'm talking about please to post an MP3 so I can walk down the street listening to my iPod pretending I got facial hair

• el_sparkoel_sparko 884 Posts
    This isn't "grown folks music" it's bland middle class music, that you'll see in people with no tastes collections all across the country right next to Norah Jones and Dave Matthews Band...

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    This isn't "grown folks music" it's bland middle class music, that you'll see in people with no tastes collections all across the country right next to Norah Jones and Dave Matthews Band...

This is a pretty British attitude, if you don't mind me saying so. In my experience, it's usually followed with some remark about artists like CBR making "music for people who don't like music", as if there's something inherently wrong with the notion that there exists an audience for music which isn't aggressive, shrill or earnest, is sung by singers who can sing, played by players who can play, and which is purely intended to be *gasp* an enjoyable listening experience. I'm not super-crazy about Corinne Bailey Rae - my choice of Sunday morning music would be something like Anthony Hamilton, or maybe some hippie shit like "America's Greatest Hits" - but I think her record is a pretty good pop-soul record, and it seems to me that most of the hostility directed towards her is based on the fact that she's actually popular, her audience isn't wholly comprised of music geeks, and that the people feeling her are prepared to take her shit for what it is without picking holes in it.

DISCLOSURE: My girl works for her management team.

• DrJoelDrJoel 932 Posts
    "Put Your Records On" gets play on the radio around here. AAA style. It's the only song i've heard of hers so i don't have a lot to go on and, funny as this might sound, i am waiting to see what else they play from her. i just got a new car (one that someone HASN'T stolen the antennae from, like my last car, halfway through) so i am actually enjoying radio again for a little while.

Based solely on this track (i'm sure it's not as Grown Up as others or it probably wouldn't be the single) i gotta say i could take it or leave it. Reminds me of the first Nelly Furtado and first Macy Gray stuff

To me, it's feel good arithmetic music.

i'm not 30 yet, so maybe i don't get it? Ha.

• el_sparkoel_sparko 884 Posts

This is a pretty British attitude, if you don't mind me saying so. In my experience, it's usually followed with some remark about artists like CBR making "music for people who don't like music", as if there's something inherently wrong with the notion that there exists an audience for music which isn't aggressive, shrill or earnest, is sung by singers who can sing, played by players who can play, and which is purely intended to be *gasp* an enjoyable listening experience. I'm not super-crazy about Corinne Bailey Rae - my choice of Sunday morning music would be something like Anthony Hamilton, or maybe some hippie shit like "America's Greatest Hits" - but I think her record is a pretty good pop-soul record, and it seems to me that most of the hostility directed towards her is based on the fact that she's actually popular, her audience isn't wholly comprised of music geeks, and that the people feeling her are prepared to take her shit for what it is without picking holes in it.

No.
    I have no problem with music that is popular, however the worst crime in music for me is blandness, and that is something i think she is guilty of, along with the other acts i named...
    So calling it "grown folks music" suggesting it's more sophisticated than others is kind of stupid to me as the way i see it it's just that's trying to be as unoffensive as possible...

ONLY FOR THE GROWN (SEXINESS NOT REALLY )

TAKE HEADS OUT OF ARSES AND LEARN TO APPRECIATE BLAND MOR POP PAP. IT WILL SAVE YOUR FUCKIN LIFE AND KEEP YOUR CHOLESTEROL DOWN

• DrJoelDrJoel 932 Posts
    LEARN TO APPRECIATE BLAND MOR POP PAP.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts

No.
    I have no problem with music that is popular, however the worst crime in music for me is blandness, and that is something i think she is guilty of, along with the other acts i named...
    So calling it "grown folks music" suggesting it's more sophisticated than others is kind of stupid to me as the way i see it it's just that's trying to be as unoffensive as possible...

Well, the worst crime in music for me is wackness, but that's another thread. Maybe it's me, but I don't necessarily consider blandness to be a universally negative quality. By a lot of people's standards, America's "Ventura Highway" might be considered bland, but I think it's a fantastic song. Conversely, a group like the Foo Fighters, who'd never normally be described as bland, are to me the very definition of the word, at least inasmuch as it relates to music - utterly characterless and generic modern hard rock, cleaned and polished to the nth degree and completely devoid of any grit or rough edges. Yet they've still got some good tunes - go figure.

I don't see how any creative musician could be actively "trying" to make music as unoffensive as possible. Setting aside the issue of whether or not being offensive, or "difficult", or "challenging" ought/need to be prerequisites for music to be worthwhile in the first place, even modern Xtian music - a genre where you'd expect blandness to be the dominant creative impulse - isn't without its share of practitioners who like to push the boundaries of what's acceptable by the standards of their chosen idiom. But that doesn't automatically mean it's going to be good, any more than a pretty girl with a decent voice singing undemanding soul-pop that sells a lot of records is necessarily bad.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    I think a lot of people aren't feeling it because of the heavy handed record company push.

VH1 SOUL has been playin this shit all day erryday. I have enuff Soft Jazzy Soul in my collection. If I were a college student I guess I'd be attracted. That first single is str8 TRASH. I'm not seein this girl at all.

"These aren't the droids youve been looking for, move along."

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,893 Posts
    It's catchy. That's why it sells. And that's why it's not underground. And that's why it's not hip. And that's why trainspotters must hattt on it like some hateful harlequins.

There are always "More worthy" talents deserving wider recognition or even existing talents that could do with the kind of push always given to The Next Big Thing??? but hey... Good luck to her.

CB-R > Norah Jones > Nelly Furtado

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    It's catchy. That's why it sells. And that's why it's not underground. And that's why it's not hip. And that's why trainspotters must hattt on it like some hateful harlequins.

It's some Black Becky shit.