The Buzzcocks live? (should i risk it son related)

edith headedith head 5,106 Posts
edited July 2006 in Strut Central
the buzzcocks are playing tomorrow. they're old but they're one of my favorite bands. should i risk it? i'm scared but i don't want to miss outum

Comments

• dstill808dstill808 704 Posts
    They played in SD a couple nights ago. I didn't go myself, but heard pretty reviews from those who did. For whatever that's worth.

• edith headedith head 5,106 Posts
    thanks! i'll save my $20

• MjukisMjukis 1,675 Posts
    By the way, if you're an old punk trying to age gracefully, I'd recommend staying away from Evisu jackets.

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    I was thinking about going on Friday here in POrtland. ANyone else, seen them recently?

• LazerLazer 796 Posts
    I saw them for free in 2002, they were on point. If your a big fan you might want to go.

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    A friend of mine did sound for them in London a couple weeks ago & said they were pretty good, sure they looked kinda old, but he reckons, close your eyes & it sounded like '77 still. For what it's worth, they are playing here in september & I am definitely gonna go. But then, I am a huge fan & haven't seen them before.

• coffinjoecoffinjoe 1,743 Posts
    they got a solid review in the wash post after a 9:30 club gig
    last year

• my friend saw them in minneapolis last week and said they were on point.

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts
    i have seen them about 4 or 5 times since 1999 and they have been great every time... i saw them about 2 months ago in NYC and they were great... my only complaints were:

1) steve diggle was drunk
    2) the set list wasn't as good as i've seen in the past (although they did play "get out on our own" for the first time i've ever seen...). they know how to make people happy and always play "what do i get", "orgasm addict", and "boredom"...

i have seen alot of punk reunion gigs and the buzzcocks are the best... at this point they've been playing for like 12 years since they've reformed, so it's not some one off cash in... actually some of their new songs ("totally from the heart" comes to mind) are better than some of their old ones!

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    Yeah, co-sign, it's been a few years since the last time
    I caught them, but all of the 5 or 6 shows I saw since
    the reunion were great, lots of fun, great sound, good set lists.

alright you guys made me change my mind.

• markus71markus71 937 Posts
    Did any of you catch Dinosaur JR recently?
    They were one of my favorite bands in the early 90's but I had never seen them live before.
    Before the show started I noticed lots of people had earplugs and then I noticed this giant wall of Marshall speakers on the stage...I knew I was in trouble. These guys were fucking loud!!

definitely up there as one of my worst show experiences. they made us wait for an hour for them to come on stage, people were heckling and throwing stuff at their gear on stage, so the techs would turn on the fog machine or turn down the lights to trick the audience into thinking they're just about to come on which only made them angrier. bad vibes galore. then they come out and pete's mic isn't even audible for the first song and the backing mics were really loud. the sound was horrible and there were nonstop adjustments while they were performing which were obvious and distracting. we left into 2 songs cause getting stoned and watching late night tv sounded like a better idea at that point. too bad.

i don't like the mezzanine at all. i do not like $6 beers.

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,390 Posts
    They were one of my favorite bands in the early 90's but I had never seen them live before.
    Before the show started I noticed lots of people had earplugs and then I noticed this giant wall of Marshall speakers on the stage...I knew I was in trouble. These guys were fucking loud!!

Ha ha , that rings a bell. Seen them both in the last year: Dinosaur Jr were painfully, unnecessarily loud. Really, people were leaving after 10 minutes. I lasted until the end but couldn't hear properly for two days. Buzzcocks were great though - the songs sounded fresh and the patter was self-deprecatingly hilarious.

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    Dinosaur used to play parties at my college. They would play in one apt and next door we would drink beer. It was that loud.

Saw them in 91 and they sucked. Way too loud. The opening band was awesome. The lead singer climbed up on the 10 ft PA and then dove into the crowd with his guitar on. Very hardcore. At the end of the set, they completely destroyed their instruments. Never seen a band do that before. Turns out the guys had a future because they released NEVERMIND a few months later.

I saw Dinosaur Jr earlier this year, made us wait an hour & a half for them to get on. I got there at 9.30 & they were still soundchecking until at least 10, retarded, they didn't get on until laaate. And yeah, crazy loud. But in saying that, the mix was good through ear plugs & they did play well.

Ha ha , that rings a bell. Seen them both in the last year: Dinosaur Jr were painfully, unnecessarily loud. Really, people were leaving after 10 minutes. I lasted until the end but couldn't hear properly for two days. Buzzcocks were great though - the songs sounded fresh and the patter was self-deprecatingly hilarious.
    oh yeah, hey Olivier, I made it back to NZ OK, just about separated both my shoulders carrying all the vinyl through customs at Heathrow, LAX & Auckland, so heavy. Is it still hot as balls in London?

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    Ms D, how was the show? I had to miss them due a fire at one of my properties.