Best Hip Hop release 2001

2»

Comments

• SLurgSLurg 446 Posts
    Another great thread !

• jazzercismjazzercism 838 Posts
    Did "Lord Willin'" come out in this year?

'02

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    This record is excellent:

I think a lot of people are under the impression that it's a pop effort and that T.I. significantly retooled his style for Trap Muzik, which is really not the case. You'll notice that he never disowns this record in interviews--never suggests that Arista forced him to make a record that he was uncomfortable with, but only complains that they didn't promote it properly--and was invoking it as a reference point in talking up King before its release. The only track that I really don't like, and which sticks out like a sore thumb, is the title track/single with Beanie Man.

One of the best rap debuts of recent years, which unfortunately got steamrolled when Jay pushed up the release date of Blueprint... and September 11 happened:

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    I think about "I'm Serious" as dude's reasonable doubt. But then, "Reasonable Doubt" isn't one of my top 3 Jigga releases either. It does deserve a rep as underrated-if-uneven debut that set the stage for monumental growth. (but lets not have the RD argument again here)

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    Outkast - Ms. Jackson

So Fresh, So Clean!

But...that's a great fucking LP. Period.

• CahootsCahoots 378 Posts
    -

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    His R&B collab w/ Christina Milian is pretty great disco pop shit. "Like most men I love to catch up with a model /
    But I ain???t used to movin??? slow like ketchup in a bottle." heat.

"Breathe" got serious rap nerd love but after that he kinda disappeared.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    I haven't checked albums since VVV but is there anyone who'd defend a Ja Rule LP? Until he was mired in ballad formula bullshit he did alright with pop singles. I would defend that song with the Stevie Wonder hook, its upbeat like a puffy retread.

"New York" is dope obv.

One of the best rap debuts of recent years, which unfortunately got steamrolled when Jay pushed up the release date of Blueprint... and September 11 happened:

Good call faux, I totally forgot about this album.

When this came out I thought that for sure that Fabolous would become the next really big rapper. He's got rhymes for days, and he had a gang of excellent producers. I mean, he was reasonably big for a few minutes, but then he kind of fell of the map. What happened to dude? Too many wack R&B songs kill his career as a serious rapper?

Well, his last album was horrible and the one good track--"Breathe"--was not exactly the single to fool Caitlyn n'nem into buying it. Maybe Jay can resuscitate his career now that he's on Def Jam (Jay basically traded Musiq for him).