Trae - Restless

Comments

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Y'all just stay over there on the "right" side of the bridge, mm'kay?

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    can you please point out the carpetbaggeurs in this thread
    thank you

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    It seems that the lull in 2005 has more than been made up for already this year.

I'm already stressing over the end of 2006 "best rap album of the year" thread.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    It seems that the lull in 2005 has more than been made up for already this year.

Really? I've only heard four rap albums this year that really impressed me.

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts

Really? I've only heard four rap albums this year that really impressed me.

Yeah it's no 1994 but compared to last year, where I was hard pushed to find one album that really impressed me this year feels like a deluge. While there hasn't yet been one album that stood head and shoulders above the rest I can think of about five (six if you can include Trae) that I've enjoyed and kept on rotation.

Mind you I'm easily pleased.

can you please point out the carpetbaggeurs in this thread
    thank you

You know, when I mentioned that, I was really talking about those who are just about to latch onto Trae based on the resurgence of Houston hype that surrounds him. The same thing will happen when Lil Keke's album comes out and we'll get a bunch of folks who think he's a new dude on the scene. But whatever...

As far as this thread:

faux characterizing what around these parts is by far the most anticipated release in some time as "too bad nobody knows about it" is pretty darned carpetbaggeurish.

And edpowers stating that the likes of Cham and Slim Thug are embarrassing also fits the bill.

You asked. I answered.

Now as far as strong albums this year...

Upper echeleon:

TI
    Trae
    San Quinn
    The Coup

Middle ground:

E-40
    Slumplordz
    Ellay Khule

Noteworthy locals:

NGOK
    Global
    Verbal Seed
    Strange Fruit Project

At least, that's my opinion.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    Yeah finally heard this all last night, its dope as fuck and I needed a rap album like this in my life. I'll go with 'best record since King'. I like the new version of swang, but that might be because I played the original AND the remix into the ground...this is like the third version i've heard, they notched the drama level way up in the new version, which seems appropriate considering what happened to Hawk.

God damn this album is

Manic depressive goth gangsta.

Everyone focusing on me liking Shawnna but y'all ignored that Yo Gotti album which was

faux characterizing what around these parts is by far the most anticipated release in some time as "too bad nobody knows about it" is pretty darned carpetbaggeurish.

Shied, the world is bigger than the corner of it where you live.

I don't doubt that it is "by far the most anticipated release in some time" in Texas, but nobody in New York and various other major markets even knows that it's out.

This was supposed to be a nationally distributed and promoted project--that's why Rap-a-Lot is letting WEA get a share of their money.

You should be annoyed on Trae's behalf, rather than getting ass-hurt at people pointing this out.

My opinion concludes that as of yet, last year was much stronger than this year when it comes to albums:

Chamillionaire
    Z-Ro
    Zion I
    Three 6 Mafia
    CVE
    Quasimoto
    Lil Wayne
    Turf Talk
    Boyz N Da Hood
    Danger Doom
    Common
    Beanie Sigel
    Slim Thug
    Bun B
    Paul Wall
    Mike Jones
    K-Rino
    Geto Boys

And neither of my lists is even considering mixtapes.

There's still some stuff that I need to hear from this year, like K-Rino's Time Traveller, and maybe I need to give Field Mob a second chance...but overall '05 >>> '06.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    To be fair, 05 was six months longer.

I don't doubt that it is "by far the most anticipated release in some time" in Texas, but nobody in New York and various other major markets even knows that it's out.

This was supposed to be a nationally distributed and promoted project--that's why Rap-a-Lot is letting WEA get a share of their money.

You should be annoyed on Trae's behalf, rather than getting ass-hurt at people pointing this out.

It's also kinda carpetbaggeurish to actually expect a Rap-A-Lot release to be properly promoted on a national scale, with WEA tied into it or not. But sure enough Restless will flow freely through Rap-A-Lot's usual channels. It's just that amazon isn't really one of them. Try mom and pops in places like College Park and Richmond, CA instead. I'm glad to hear that chainstores like Best Buy are carrying it, but this is hardly a corporate commodity.

It's also kinda carpetbaggeurish to actually expect a Rap-A-Lot release to be properly promoted on a national scale, with WEA tied into it or not. But sure enough Restless will flow freely through Rap-A-Lot's usual channels. It's just that amazon isn't really one of them. Try mom and pops in places like College Park and Richmond, CA instead. I'm glad to hear that chainstores like Best Buy are carrying it, but this is hardly a corporate commodity.

Why? WEA can promote and distribute a Swishahouse or a Trill Ent. release on a national scale. What part of distributed by a major label do you not understand?

Yes, Rap-a-Lot has a recent history of not handling their business and handicapping their artists' careers--but an established pattern of doing so is not a good reason to view it as acceptable.

Shied, I don't even know why I'm arguing with you, because you clearly don't want to see regional artists reach a broader audience--what you care about most is maintaining your bizarre sense of proprietary entitlement.

• jleejlee 1,539 Posts
    i disagree with this...

because you clearly don't want to see regional artists reach a broader audience

i whole heartedly agree with this...

what you care about most is maintaining your bizarre sense of proprietary entitlement.

Why? WEA can promote and distribute a Swishahouse or a Trill Ent. release on a national scale. What part of distributed by a major label do you not understand?

Yes, Rap-a-Lot has a recent history of not handling their business and handicapping their artists' careers--but an established pattern of doing so is not a good reason to view it as acceptable.

Shied, I don't even know why I'm arguing with you, because you clearly don't want to see regional artists reach a broader audience--what you care about most is maintaining your bizarre sense of proprietary entitlement.

I'm just anticipating culturally disconnected people like you chewing up Trae just so that a year or so down the line you can spit him out as you have done with Chamillionaire.

If there is a way that you could send Trae money without your own entitlement issues becoming attached to the exchange, that in your mind gives you to right to talk out of your ass just because you once liked one of his cd's, then I'd be all for that.

Seriously, when you no longer see the social worth in identifying yoruself with a Trae or a Z-Ro or a Salih Williams, you will abandon them like the poseur chump that you are. Yet those artists and their real core audiences will still be there oblivious to whether their past albums sold in New York or not.

While some people actually live this shit. You remain a tourist.

And you know what? I wouldn't even need to say this shit to you if you showed any signs ever of being invested in your own local experience. Try championing something that is actually your own before you expect anyone to give a rat's ass about you constantly dogging the product of scenes that you know next to nothing about.

You don't see me jumping ship from Project Blowed just because things haven't gone exactly as I would have liked them to go. Now try to take that as an example on how not to be a chickenshit mark instead of utilizing it as an entry point for your infernal clowning. These are people we are dealing with here, people who put their hearts into what you only view as disposable fashion pieces.

• jdeezjdeez 638 Posts

I'm just anticipating culturally disconnected people like you chewing up Trae just so that a year or so down the line you can spit him out as you have done with Chamillionaire.

If there is a way that you could send Trae money without your own entitlement issues becoming attached to the exchange, that in your mind gives you to right to talk out of your ass just because you once liked one of his cd's, then I'd be all for that.

Seriously, when you no longer see the social worth in identifying yoruself with a Trae or a Z-Ro or a Salih Williams, you will abandon them like the poseur chump that you are. Yet those artists and their real core audiences will still be there oblivious to whether their past albums sold in New York or not.

And you know what? I wouldn't even need to say this shit to you if you showed any signs ever of being invested in your own local experience. Try championing something that is actually your own before you expect anyone to give a rat's ass about you constantly dogging the product of scenes that you know next to nothing about.

You don't see me jumping ship from Project Blowed just because things haven't gone exactly as I would have liked them to go. Now try to take that as an example on how not to be a chickenshit mark instead of utilizing it as an entry point for your infernal clowning. These are people we are dealing with here, people who put their hearts into what you only view as disposable fashion pieces.

dude. what the fuck is wrong with you?

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    Yeah dude yr tripping.
    presumptuous assumptions

i whole heartedly agree with this...

what you care about most is maintaining your bizarre sense of proprietary entitlement.

You really think I'm only speaking for myself when I push such buttons?

Trae is for the people, and I am merely just one of those people.

Whether or not you are also one of those people is up to your actions.

Far as I can tell, jlee, you are one of those people as well.

But faux is not.

He's just a dude that buys rap cd's so he can wield his bitter opinions on the internet for either social gain or vanity.

At this point more than any other, I say fuck him and his $13.99.

---I have often fantasized about being proclaimed the champ, but it was a desire that seemed so farfetched that I had never dared speak it aloud. Thank you for helping me realize this long-cherished dream.

Re championing artists from my own locale: am I understanding correctly that you think the internets are experiencing a severe shortage of Dipset stans? I'll have to get right on that.

• jdeezjdeez 638 Posts

Would Trae feel that way?

Dog, you are way too old to be talking about tourists in rap music. you're approaching 40 and still talking like a middle schooler. It's music. Calm the fuck down and be happy that anyone is talking about genuine talent from a city that you falsely claim, that has a terrible reputation of dropping the ball on releases.

Now go take care of those kids before they rob me.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    Lets stop ruining this thread and talk about how great the last track is.

Dipeset ain't gonna do it, dipshit.

Now invest yourself or fall back.

---I have often fantasized about being proclaimed the champ, but it was a desire that seemed so farfetched that I had never dared speak it aloud. Thank you for helping me realize this long-cherished dream.

Oops, I see I was proclaimed a "chump" rather than a "champ"--que embarassing!

• hogginthefogghogginthefogg 6,098 Posts

Wrong! He loves the Chicken Noodle Soup song.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    What the fuck is there to know about 'the scene' dude? Because dudes in Houston like cars and narcotics? There's a reason this shit resonates with people everywhere.

Back to the album....

Dog, you are way too old to be talking about tourists in rap music. you're approaching 40 and still talking like a middle schooler. It's music. Calm the fuck down and be happy that anyone is talking about genuine talent from a city that you falsely claim, that has a terrible reputation of dropping the ball on releases.

It is just music, but it ain't just music.

And how the fuck could I falsely claim a city that I lived in for years? I went back down there last weekend for the first time in a while and it couldn't have felt any more like home to me.

Yeah, I've moved around a lot in my life. But when you make sure to dig your roots in on any extended layover that stuff gets inside of you on the real.

Furthermore I was fuckin' moved by what I saw at Screwfest. I am fuckin' moved by the reverence that I see for Trae up here in Austin. Plus I'm in the middle of dealing with some real shit here based on where I live in Austin and the people that I interact with...not through cd's, but through face-to-face collective struggle.

This ain't no D4L candy bullshit that we're talking about here. This is some lay-your-heart-on-the-line, what-kind-of-man-are-you, drawing-lines-in-the-sand shit here...so fuck yeah, I'm going to be overprotective about this shit and I could give a fuck what anyone thinks about it.

You've seen people take this same sort of stance when it comes to an artist such as 2Pac, and maybe y'all think those people are crazed lunatics, but I don't...I see them actually connecting with the music at hand in an intimate, internalized manner...and to me that's what this shit is ultimately about.

It is just music, but it ain't just music.

And how the fuck could I falsely claim a city that I lived in for years? I went back down there last weekend for the first time in a while and it couldn't have felt any more like home to me.

Yeah, I've moved around a lot in my life. But when you make sure to dig your roots in on any extended layover that stuff gets inside of you on the real.

Furthermore I was fuckin' moved by what I saw at Screwfest. I am fuckin' moved by the reverence that I see for Trae up here in Austin. Plus I'm in the middle of dealing with some real shit here based on where I live in Austin and the people that I interact with...not through cd's, but through face-to-face collective struggle.

This ain't no D4L candy bullshit that we're talking about here. This is some lay-your-heart-on-the-line, what-kind-of-man-are-you, drawing-lines-in-the-sand shit here...so fuck yeah, I'm going to be overprotective about this shit and I could give a fuck what anyone thinks about it.

You've seen people take this same sort of stance when it comes to an artist such as 2Pac, and maybe y'all think those people are crazed lunatics, but I don't...I see them actually connecting with the music at hand in an intimate, internalized manner...and to me that's what this shit is ultimately about.

You know if anybody had actually said anything critical about Trae or his music, this stuff might have a context.

As it is, you're getting worked up over things that you think some people might say or think at some undefined future point.

• el_sparkoel_sparko 884 Posts
    I see them actually connecting with the music at hand in an intimate, internalized manner...and to me that's what this shit is ultimately about.

• ayresayres 1,452 Posts
    Get that Trae album and Rapid Ric + Trae mix CD posthaste.

• jdeezjdeez 638 Posts

If that truly is the case, Robert, then man the fuck up and be happy for dude. Do your job and help put food on the man's table instead of talking shit on the internet and calling names at people that may or may not be more recent fans than you. Laying your heart on the line does not mean acting like a possessive ex-girlfriend that's insecure about a love that has passed long ago. You have no more entitlement over this music than anyone else.

You're fighting the good fight dude, but your energy is misdirected.

now can we stay on topic and talk about how great a.b.n. is?

• HAZBEENHAZBEEN 564 Posts

This is a lot of intensity to spend on discussing a rap album.