what about the kinda bad/kinda good movies

edith headedith head 5,106 Posts
edited July 2006 in Strut Central
nobody's gonna say shit like citizen kane is trash or that ishtar is stellarbut what about the movies that are kinda trash and kinda rule?case in pointThe Game by David FincherCons: overly stylized, michael douglas is in it and he is doing another variation of the gordon gecko character (see Wall Street, A Perfect Murder)Pros: set in san francisco, 'most dangerous game' kinda plot (always a plus), favorite use of 'white rabbit' in a movie, pretty engrosssing and exciting, michael douglas gets fucked with to the max

Comments

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    Charleton Heston epics.

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    Out of Sight (pretty good for a J.Lo movie)
    Slackers
    Cabin Fever/Wrong Turn/Joy Ride (guilty pleasures)

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    In The Mouth of Madness (concepts are good, special effects are awful)
    Hardcore (interesting concept and snapshot in time, George C Scott as concerned parent isn't the best pick)
    All Dolemite movies (so bad they're good+much hilarity)

• AaronAaron 977 Posts
    This is my type of thread.

I just watched "Candyman" the other night at a friend's house. I would categorize that one as not bad/not good.

The horror genre ultimately provides the most not bad/not good movies (so bad they're good = not bad/not good?). The most recent remake of "The Amityville Horror," "Return to Salem's Lot," etc.

Earlier sci-fi is also rife with goodies: "Death Race 2K," "Logan's Run," "Star Wars," etc.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    are these like the movies that are so bad that they're good?

• edith headedith head 5,106 Posts

i love out of sight. i felt guilty at first too cuz of j and clooney but the script, don cheadle, and isley bros all over the soundtrack cannot be effed with. i can't think of many movies that are as smart and sexy like this

• Out of Sight (pretty good for a J.Lo movie)

i love out of sight. i felt guilty at first too cuz of j and clooney but the script, don cheadle, and isley bros all over the soundtrack cannot be effed with. i can't think of many movies that are as smart and sexy like this

That movie is pedigreed. Soderbergh directs a Leonard novel. Don Cheadle killed it. Not even a guilty pleasure but a solid flick on its own merits.

• "Breakdown" with Kurt Russell and JT Walsh. Always enjoyed this thriller. If only they could've worked in the Petty song, it'd be near flawless. But yeah, good action and acting and stuff. A fun time.

I like "The GAme" but then I kinda like Fincher too.

• edith headedith head 5,106 Posts

That movie is pedigreed. Soderbergh directs a Leonard novel. Don Cheadle killed it. Not even a guilty pleasure but a solid flick on its own merits.

i completely agree. i've never read an elmore leonard novel but i can tell i like his aesthetic. so compare out of sight to get shorty in the world of leonard adaptations, out of sight eats the latter for lunch!

but then again soderbergh is one of my favorites. i will always love sex lies and videotape and the limey...

• Yeah, "Get Shorty" is one I'd tab as a guilty pleasure. "Be Cool" on the other hand is an abomination.

wow - you guys watch some trash.

• wooshiewooshie 490 Posts

Great film, got nothing to feel guilty about. Reminded me of some french 60s films, with the still shots, great cinematography and timing.

Just to clarify, Out of Sight isn't a gulty pleasure, I own it. Its just the first time I saw it I was surprised how good it was since J Lo was in it. Thats all...

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    The Dunwich Horror
    Kiss Me Deadly

Almost every sports-related movie

umm...The Cutting Edge?

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts

snob

snob

and I enjoy it.

• wooshiewooshie 490 Posts
    yeah... Not just a pretty face.

• paulnicepaulnice 924 Posts

Out of Sight was dope despite CLOONEY, not J Lo!
    That was the first thing I saw her in and - I kid you not - I seriously thought a star was born.
    She was fucking great in that film ("you wanted to tussle? we tussled." )
    And all of her subsequent films/performances just shows to go you how important a good director is when it comes to extracting good performances out of their actors.
    Go 'head Sodenbergh.

To add to Audrey's list...

"The Spanish Prisoner", "House of Games" and "Homicide"

Pros: David Mamet

Cons: David Mamet

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts

i started to say, despite the long-winded thread name, i figured THAT was what Ms. Damn meant

This is the kinda movie it's fun to talk through when watching with someone who enjoys it.

• ladydayladyday 623 Posts
    Harold and Kumar Go To White Castle
    Demolition Man
    From Dusk Till Dawn
    Pleasantville
    The Fifth Element

These are all movies I would never rent or buy but always find myself watching on cable.

• ladydayladyday 623 Posts

i started to say, i figured THAT was what Ms. Damn meant

I personally was thinking more along the lines of movies that are thoroughly mediocre and yet somehow still entertaining. The "so bad it's good" category I consider to be more films that are so spectacularly bad as to hint at some underlying mad genius.

favorite use of 'white rabbit' in a movie

Fear and Loathing

favorite use of 'white rabbit' in a movie

HARVEY

• bobbydeebobbydee 849 Posts
    Hackers is my guilty pleasure. I???m embarrassed to admit how much I love it, despite being aware of it being an utterly terrible piece of cinema.

it's so true.

that little bad guy is the best ever...

and when the slc punk dude is on the jumbotron in Times Sq. LOL

Showgirls
    Barbwire

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    Hey,

Here are some on the old tip (off the dome):

-Lipstick.
    -Star 80.
    -Fast-Walking.
    -Prince of the City.
    -Lucas.
    -Soylent Green.
    -Birdy.

I'll think of more later.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts

The Game by David Fincher

Cons:
    overly stylized, michael douglas is in it and he is doing another variation of the gordon gecko character (see Wall Street, A Perfect Murder)

Pros:
    set in san francisco, 'most dangerous game' kinda plot (always a plus), favorite use of 'white rabbit' in a movie, pretty engrosssing and exciting, michael douglas gets fucked with to the max

oh Hell yeah...The Game is one of my favorite movies of all time...yet i'll be the first to admit it's covered in cheese ....

same goes for "Running Scared" ....Good Corn is what these films are .....

• soulmarcosasoulmarcosa 4,296 Posts
    Hardcore (interesting concept and snapshot in time, George C Scott as concerned parent isn't the best pick)

You have got to be kidding me. That's like saying Faye Dunaway as Joan Crawford isn't the best pick. This is one of the most intentionally sleazy and unintentionally camp flicks ever committed to film!

in other words

THE_NON FUCKED UP THE MONEY
    HARDCORE = BEST FILM EVER MADE & BEST ROLE GEORGE C SCOTT EVER PLAYED