DSL/Cable Internet in L.A.

mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
edited July 2006 in Strut Central
Who's the best in terms of balancing speed + cost?AT&T Yahoo gets the dils. They can't hook up anything better that 1.5mps service.

Comments

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    soulstrut is clearly the best place to ask this question

• edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts
    i have Comcast and i have no complaints....but Time Warner just took over Comcast so who knows how i'll feel in a few months

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    http://www.dslreports.com/search is a good place to start.

I'd like to have that FiOS shit tho...

I'd see if ur in the area!

Up to 5 Mbps/2 Mbps $34.95
    Up to 15 Mbps/2 Mbps $44.95

Tho, I get 5 Mbps for just a bit cheaper than that now. I'd love to have that 15 down speed for 45.

• oxnardcoreoxnardcore 141 Posts
    i got comcast also, 50 bucks a month for 6 mbps, a little more for 8 i think. if you get cable tv, they knock off a couple bucks, but its still kinda pricy. 6mbps + analog cable tv + taxes/fees = just under 110 bucks a month for me. sbc dsl of course is hella cheaper (19 bucks a month, even cheaper with the promos), but dsl is doodoo in my book.

• DjArcadianDjArcadian 3,630 Posts
    Who's the best in terms of balancing speed + cost?

AT&T Yahoo gets the dils. They can't hook up anything better that 1.5mps service.

Yeah, but for $17 a month why complain?

I get 6 MBPs at my office from AT&T DSL but I pay like $70 a month.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Who's the best in terms of balancing speed + cost?

AT&T Yahoo gets the dils. They can't hook up anything better that 1.5mps service.

Yeah, but for $17 a month why complain?

I get 6 MBPs at my office from AT&T DSL but I pay like $70 a month.

B/c I'd have to DISCONTINUE my current service and start up again with SBC anew (with 7-10 days downtime) in order to get the lowest rate. Otherwise, if they switched me over (with no downtime), I'd be getting HALF the speed and paying $3 more a month than I am now.

Does that sound like something worth complaining about?

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    http://www.broadbandreports.com/

go through the reviews and msg board. it's the ahem "soulstrut' of internerd ping tests.

it's a good look to go internetless for a week. I did a week and a half recently and it felt great. If all else fails, you can get a quick fix by camping in front of an apple store, hah.

• Options

FiOS crushes anything else out there right now, unfortunately it's not available everywhere yet. I splice those cables at my dayjob at Verizon, all of us who have been using cable modems all this time (since even Verizon techs will tell you DSL is weak) are switching to FiOS as soon as we can. Haven't heard a bad word about it yet.

Even the FiOS television service is clearer than cable (like night and day supposedly), although you don't notice much difference on the HD channels.

FiOS crushes anything else out there right now, unfortunately it's not available everywhere yet. I splice those cables at my dayjob at Verizon, all of us who have been using cable modems all this time (since even Verizon techs will tell you DSL is weak) are switching to FiOS as soon as we can. Haven't heard a bad word about it yet.

Even the FiOS television service is clearer than cable (like night and day supposedly), although you don't notice much difference on the HD channels.

Yeah, I've been hearing all this great stuff for a year now since they first started. I'd love to get down with their full service. I know one dude that got it about 4 months ago and is seriously a fucking happy camper right now.

I put it up cause I know it's available in certain parts of LA.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    i got comcast also, 50 bucks a month for 6 mbps, a little more for 8 i think. if you get cable tv, they knock off a couple bucks, but its still kinda pricy. 6mbps + analog cable tv + taxes/fees = just under 110 bucks a month for me. sbc dsl of course is hella cheaper (19 bucks a month, even cheaper with the promos), but dsl is doodoo in my book.

I dunno man - I've been pretty happy with DSL even if the speed isn't as bad ass as cable. You get what you pay for obviously but while I wouldn't mind 6mbps speed, I don't want to pay x2 to get it.

Alas, FIOS stops about two blocks from where I live

• serch4beatzserch4beatz Switzerland 521 Posts
    5mb/2mb for 33$ ?????????
    why o why must i live in switzerland where they dont know what fast internet for a good price is.. i have a 3.5mb/500kbit ADSL line and i pay 69chf .. like uhm 70$?

• Options

Tho, I get 5 Mbps for just a bit cheaper than that now. I'd love to have that 15 down speed for 45.

I just looked at a memo we got last week at work, FiOS is up to a max of 50/5 for home consumers now although for now this might only be in NY, Connecticut, and NJ. 50/5 in NY is $89.95 a month. Small business customers can get 50/10, but for considerably more money.

We also have 20/5 and 10/2.

What we know and what you don't is that FiOS can easily go to 100/? by simply changing a card in the central office, but a lot of the computers in people's homes don't need that speed yet. The bandwidth over fiberoptics (re: FiOS) also heavily sons what is offered over coaxial (re: cable modems) since FiOS feed lines are only shared by a small fraction of the amount of homes that share coaxial main feeds. You'd be sharing a FiOS line with a max of 24 homes, with cable it can be in the thousands.

Just think.

In Sweden, they got 100Mbit for like 35-40 US.

I just looked at a memo we got last week at work, FiOS is up to a max of 50/5 for home consumers now although for now this might only be in NY, Connecticut, and NJ. 50/5 in NY is $89.95 a month. Small business customers can get 50/10, but for considerably more money.

We also have 20/5 and 10/2.

What we know and what you don't is that FiOS can easily go to 100/? by simply changing a card in the central office, but a lot of the computers in people's homes don't need that speed yet. The bandwidth over fiberoptics (re: FiOS) also heavily sons what is offered over coaxial (re: cable modems) since FiOS feed lines are only shared by a small fraction of the amount of homes that share coaxial main feeds. You'd be sharing a FiOS line with a max of 24 homes, with cable it can be in the thousands.

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    all of us who have been using cable modems all this time (since even Verizon techs will tell you DSL is weak)

That's pretty funny. Yes (no offense to you Matt) but Verizon DSL is total crap. It doesn't connect 30% of the time especially at night. And right now, they're apparently updating some shit, so I've been going online at cyber cafes for the past couple days.