Psych-Rock-Funk (semi-raers)

Comments

• gambitgambit 906 Posts
    Alan Bown on Island
    I have an LP of The Alan Brown on Verve Forecast. How many albums did TAB put out? Anyone...

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    west coast pop art experimental band

• meatyogremeatyogre 2,080 Posts
    Alan Bown on Island
    I have an LP of The Alan Brown on Verve Forecast. How many albums did TAB put out? Anyone...

not sure, but get this one... its more prog/psych than straight out psychedelic.

In the world of RARE... do any of you Texas dudes have an original copy of "A New Hi"? KILL

• dCastillodCastillo 1,963 Posts
    I have a cool LP at home by a group called the Travel Agency. Very similar to other late 60's West Coast sounds mentioned here.

REALLY LIKE THIS ONE. 2ND TO LAST TRACK ON SIDE A IS THE SHIZZLIE BLAZING DOWNTEMPO PSYCHNESS. THEN YOU HAVE CADILLAC JOE AND ALL THAT FUZZ.

BANGER.

ALSO. GET PSYCH RECORDS.
    WEST COAST POP ART.
    LISTENING.
    CAPTAIN BEEFHEART - MIRROR MAN
    KEEP GETTING MORE PSYCH.
    QUICKSILVER
    ARZACHEL
    FOOD
    MR. FLOODS PARTY
    THEN YOU SHOULD GRAB SOME.
    KENNELMUS
    DAMON
    DARK
    MAYBE TRY ON SOME.
    MATCHING MOLE. TRIPPY.
    MONSTER MOVIE.
    AME SON
    JASPER WRATH
    TWINK
    PERHAPS YOU GO FOR.
    JEFFERSON AIRPLANE. SURREALISTIC BAXTERS.
    GANDALF
    JULY
    INDEX
    MAYPOLE
    AND THEN GET HOLY.
    AZITIS

I DON'T KNOW. THERE'S SO MUCH MORE. FOR YOU. TO ENJOY.
    ALL THESE FOR UNDER $8 (DEPENDING ON HOW MANY MILES AWAY YOU ARE FROM YOUR PRIVATE MIND GARDEN)

• NateBizzoNateBizzo 2,328 Posts
    This was recently re-ished too.

Very good. Psychadelic Rock. They look like me too.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    Also check out J.K. & Co. on White Whale. Very trippy.

Ya know, I just remembered that the person who started this thread was wondering about AFFORDABLE psych...not so much the out-of-control, $50/$100 rarities...

With that in mind, he should seek out this other White Whale elpee called THE EARLY WRITINGS OF ZAGER & EVANS & OTHERS.

The Z&E tracks suck, but side two consists of selections from the JK & Co. album (uncredited).

I mention this 'cause I've seen the Z&E/JK album on the cheap waaay more times than the album by JK alone (of which I've only seen the reissue). Sure, EARLY WRITINGS only gives you a sample of JK's album, not the whole thing, but it should tide you over.

And if you're not afraid of reissues, seek out HARD ROCK FROM THE MIDDLE EAST by Devil's Anvil, or PSYCHEDELIC PSOUL by the Freak Scene. They've been re-pressed on vinyl (and Collectables reissued both titles on one CD).

• TheMackTheMack 3,414 Posts
    man, this isnt psych. and that record sucks

Dude, you serious? Peep that one track where dude is singing is "nothing ever gonna change" is it 100% MACK APPROVED DRAMA BEAT STAB ON SLAB!

• Also check out J.K. & Co. on White Whale. Very trippy.

Ya know, I just remembered that the person who started this thread was wondering about AFFORDABLE psych...not so much the out-of-control, $50/$100 rarities...

I was going under the assumption that they'd be picking up the CD reissue. My copy of the LP is the only one I've ever seen and I grabbed it on the cheap yeeeeaaarrrrsss ago, not knowing what it was.

I know now....

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts

Man, $50-100 for an original IS affordable psych... those are basically your commons for this genre

Dude, you serious? Peep that one track where dude is singing is "nothing ever gonna change" is it 100% MACK APPROVED DRAMA BEAT STAB ON SLAB!
    haha, thats like 2 seconds of the record. not even a WHOLE SONG. that record blows

check Rare Bird-S/t for some dope Psych-Funk

Here are some that never seem to get a mention. EZ & affordable.

-Clark & Hutchinson-A=MH2(Sire) really dope semi funky Eastern-influenced psych.
    -The Seven-The Song is The Song (Thunderbird) Really dope version of "Tell Her No" solid lp.
    -East of Eden-Mercator Projected (Deram) "Northen Hemisphere" is blazing downtempo psych
    -Chrysalis-Same (MGM) Much more than a Beatnuts loop.
    -Rationals-Same (Crewe) Great R&B rock/psych outta Mich.

Try and get a reissue of the Gandalf LP on caitol. one of my fave albums ever. It was mentioned earlier but the JK & CO. lp is really solid. "Fly" is like a better version of radiohead. That Common People lp is a letdown. 1st 3 tracks are really good then it turns to mush. US 69 is classic. I recently picked up an 80's boot of the Mary Butterworth lp. Psych/Prog kinda thing. "Week in 8 Days" is the highlight.

That Bandolero lp that plantweed mentioned is really dope funky latin psych. Very rare. There's an 80's boot around.

-

haha, thats like 2 seconds of the record. not even a WHOLE SONG. that record blows

Aint' mad at that Rare Bird. I've been noticing mad heads have been mentioning it lately, has it been sampled or put on a mix/comp?

Aint' mad at that Rare Bird. I've been noticing mad heads have been mentioning it lately, has it been sampled or put on a mix/comp?
    dont think its been sampled, possibly comped. its just a fuckin rad lp.

another top notch Psych-Funker is the Shades of Black LIghtning Lp

• KARLITOKARLITO 991 Posts
    has it been sampled or put on a mix/comp
    Diplo, no? w/ the "beautiful scarlet...."

• OneSoulOneSoul 206 Posts
    assuming you already know about the music machine, etc.

I've got them...

FUGI!!!

That too...

Man, $50-100 for an original IS affordable psych... those are basically your commons for this genre

you know, if that's the going rate, I don't mind paying it. I'm not a strictly dollar-bin cat. If it's a good joint and the price is fair I would pay that much. I just needed some artists/titles to check for so that I can do my homework on this psych stuff. I've got my soul/funk game pretty tight IMO, just trying to expand my mind and collection...

thanks for all the help guys.

Brian

That Common People lp is a letdown. 1st 3 tracks are really good then it turns to mush.

-

OK, I'd have to agree with you here. But the first track alone is worth seeking it out. "Soon they'll be THUNDER, I'll leave them behind...."

• BreakSelfBreakSelf 2,925 Posts
    has it been sampled or put on a mix/comp
    Diplo, no? w/ the "beautiful scarlet...."

you are correct, sir!

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    mindblowing raer

this thing needs to be re-ished pronto. I lucked out about 4 years ago and grabbed it for $40.

That Common People lp is a letdown. 1st 3 tracks are really good then it turns to mush.

-

OK, I'd have to agree with you here. But the first track alone is worth seeking it out. "Soon they'll be THUNDER, I'll leave them behind...."

don't get me wrong. I love that track. The strings on those 3 tracks are perfect!

here's a few more...

-Warlock-Same(Music Merchant)- "As you Die" is a 14 minute monster. Squealing sax, heavy bass, and fuzz = winner.
    -Brainticket-CottonWoodhill(bellaphon) really tripped out psych outta sweden. Can be had for about $50-$60 on the bay.

mindblowing raer

this thing needs to be re-ished pronto. I lucked out about 4 years ago and grabbed it for $40.

what is this?

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts

-Warlock-Same(Music Merchant)- "As you Die" is a 14 minute monster. Squealing sax, heavy bass, and fuzz = winner.

I've actually got a copy of this right now if anyone needs. Holler

-Brainticket-CottonWoodhill(bellaphon) really tripped out psych outta sweden. Can be had for about $50-$60 on the bay.

amazing, but they are a swiss/italian group, their "celstial ocean" LP is mighty nice also. If you are into heavy ass proto metal stuff, check out the guitar player's other band Toad, their LP "Tomorrow Blue" is ass kickin'.

mindblowing raer

what is this?

shit, you made me realize ya cant read the sumbitch, sorry. It is Achim Reichel and Machines "Echo"...German

here is a great review of the record, in fact, there are shitloads of psych reviews on this site...a good place to start to at least read about and peep covers:

http://www.headheritage.co.uk/unsung/albumofthemonth/476

-

don't get me wrong. I love that track. The strings on those 3 tracks are perfect!

did you know that Capitol cut the budget on their LP midway, and thats why the strings are only on the first couple track? They wrote and had the string parts ready for the entire album.. then they got dicked over.

-

did you know that Capitol cut the budget on their LP midway, and thats why the strings are only on the first couple track? They wrote and had the string parts ready for the entire album.. then they got dicked over.

Wow. That Sucks! What could've been...will never be.

Hook_up-Thanks for the info.

• slushslush 691 Posts
    man these pyschrockfunk threads pop out of thin air and go 50 deep before i can even read them. this is why i read soulstrut. yall are on the ball

remember that time when people were dissing the one common people track and they guy from common people came on and defended it? another reason why i read soulstrut

im at my grandmas house (welcome to 2005 grandma!) but she's got george harrison - wonderwall music here and that fits the bill. wonderful burner at the beginning of the b-side. not so rare.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

NOT :

YES :

• PETER IVERS BAND

RAER PETER PSYCH!