Beastie Boys - Sample clearance off ill question.

DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
edited July 2006 in Strut Central
Did hip hop labels back then even try to get sample clearance?Did MJ say no on the beatles tune?Why did Def Jam even try on "I'm Down"?That is the reason why it never made the album right, Or is it because the song is kinda doo-doo?

Comments

• PEKPEK 735 Posts
    Did hip hop labels back then even try to get sample clearance?

Did MJ say no on the beatles tune?

Why did Def Jam even try on "I'm Down"?

That is the reason why it never made the album right, Or is it because the song is kinda doo-doo?

B*ll* -

The official story is that MJ nixed the request - this is one of the earliest instances of a sample being barred from use (I don't think Def Jam sought clearance)...

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
    what about the zeppelin, and creedance stabs.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    Did hip hop labels back then even try to get sample clearance?

Did MJ say no on the beatles tune?

Why did Def Jam even try on "I'm Down"?

That is the reason why it never made the album right, Or is it because the song is kinda doo-doo?

B*ll* -

The official story is that MJ nixed the request - this is one of the earliest instances of a sample being barred from use (I don't think Def Jam sought clearance)...

I'm just surprised that MJ even found out about this to get a chance to nix it. Since sample clearance wasn't an issue in the mid 80's.

Evenmore, I'm surprised that once MJ did nix it, that lawyers didn't line up right after.

Think of all the classics that might not have got made, since there was very little money being put into hip hop albums back then.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    It would not have been up to Michael anyway: LINK

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts

I am sure the Zeppelin wasnt cleared, they have one of the highest license fees in the industry...ever wonder why the song "Dazed and Confused" wasnt in the movie Dazed and Confused? Director said it would have taken over half the budget of the movie to clear that tune.

It would not have been up to Michael anyway: LINK

Maybe the song was just to doo-doo for the release and they tossed it like I had thought and the MJ thing was just some bullshit.

I am sure the Zeppelin wasnt cleared, they have one of the highest license fees in the industry...ever wonder why the song "Dazed and Confused" wasnt in the movie Dazed and Confused? Director said it would have taken over half the budget of the movie to clear that tune.

And those cocksuckers stole the song in the first place.

Christ I hate Zeppelin.

I mean, I like some of their albums and all, but
    I really can't stand them on many many levels.

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts

Christ I hate Zeppelin.

well, actually dude sold the song to Jimmy Page. But yeah, they have stolen assloads of other stuff.

Christ I hate Zeppelin.

well, actually dude sold the song to Jimmy Page. But yeah, they have stolen assloads of other stuff.

Really - that's the first I've heard of it being sold ... the story I always heard
    was that they just vicked it without credit or compensation.

At least it being sold would explain why nothing was ever done about it, which
    is what I always wondered. I always just assumed Jimmy Page put a Satanic
    hex on Jake Holmes that made him forget he ever wrote the song at all

• BigSpliffBigSpliff 3,266 Posts

[Bar talk alert] I heard that at the time there was a court case about Crafty which centered on how many notes of a riff constituted a sample. Was that someone being funny?

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts

Christ I hate Zeppelin.

Really - that's the first I've heard of it being sold ... the story I always heard
    was that they just vicked it without credit or compensation.

At least it being sold would explain why nothing was ever done about it, which
    is what I always wondered. I always just assumed Jimmy Page put a Satanic
    hex on Jake Holmes that made him forget he ever wrote the song at all

i had always heard it was a straight jack, not a sale...

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts

Sample clearance didn't exist in 1987. Led Zeppelin considered it homage, which is why Robert Plant ended up sampling himself in "Tall Cool Woman".

• RAW_HAMBURGERRAW_HAMBURGER 1,438 Posts

Christ I hate Zeppelin.

but...john bonham is the mufukin maaan !

schooly d sampled them...of all people to be buddy buddy with, they choose puff !?

• DJBombjackDJBombjack Miami 1,665 Posts
    Any chance you can up an mp3 of 'I'm Down'?
    I've never heard it...

Sure. Give me a bit.

I must warn you. It's not the greatest of tracks. The song might have been "OK" without the chorus and played with a bit. But I'm glad it wasn't on ill.

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
    But I'm glad it wasn't on ill.

it def doesnt fit.

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts

is this of a boot vinyl/cd? i remember reading the first grand royal that had a interview between adrock and russell simmons. they mentioned at least 4 or 5 songs that were left off liscenced.i think those were the bulk of songs that russell was planning to use for liscensed to ill pt. 2: the illening.