Cali Taco Strut - Rep your faves

mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
edited July 2006 in Strut Central
http://travel2.nytimes.com/2006/07/21/tr...&pagewanted=allThese are the best the author picked out:EL PARI??N 1528 West Pico Boulevard, Los Angeles; (213) 386-7361.TACOS BAJA ENSENADA 5385 Whittier Boulevard, Los Angeles; (323) 887-1980.LA SUPER RICA TAQUERIA 622 North Milpas Street, Santa Barbara; (805) 963-4940.LILLY???S TAQUERIA 310 Chapala Street, Santa Barbara; (805) 966-9180.CHAPALA RESTAURANT 2816 Main Street, Morro Bay; (805) 772-4492.RUDDELL???S SMOKEHOUSE 101 D Street, Cayucos; (805) 995-5028.TAQUERIA VALLARTA 1101 Pacific Avenue, Santa Cruz; (831) 471-2655.TAQUERIA Y MERCADO DE AMIGOS 1999 Pescadero Creek Road, Pescadero; (650) 879-0232.LA TAQUERIA 2889 Mission Street, San Francisco; (415) 285-7117.TAQUERIA SAN JOS?? 2830 Mission Street, San Francisco; (415) 282-0203.EL TONAYENSE TACO TRUCK Harrison Street & 22nd Street, San Francisco.LA PALMA MEXICATESSEN 2884 24th Street, San Francisco; (415) 647-1500.

Comments

• Rich45sRich45s 327 Posts
    It's threads and articles like this, that make me wish I lived in the US and not London. Good, cheap Mexican food can't be found here, unless someone knows different.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    It's sad that when you ask people to list what they like, the first thing out of their mouth is hate.

I said "rep your faves" not "shit on the next woman's list" (you keep referring to the author as a "he". She's a she.)

So far I have yet to see faves repped.

nor cal mexican food is very ...
    & since he listed tacos baja on whittier blvd which sucks so bad its not even funny i would hate to try the others on his list...

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    It's sad that when you ask people to list what they like, the first thing out of their mouth is hate.

I said "rep your faves" not "shit on the next woman's list" (you keep referring to the author as a "he". She's a she.)

So far I have yet to see faves repped.

& since he listed tacos baja on whittier blvd which sucks so bad its not even funny i would hate to try the others on his list...

it's not hate it's fact... & sorry that i wrote he not she...

1. Taqueria De Anda
    2. Serrano's #4
    3. El Rincon
    4. My homies mom
    5. El Tepyac

Now we're talking.

but what's up with #4? She take drop-ins? (No ayo innuendo)

• rkwparkrkwpark 915 Posts
    i always liked the carnitas taco at King Taco in downtown la...

but for the south bay as in san jose here are my choices...

1. tres portrillos (sunnyvale, off fair oaks & duane)
    2. eduardo's taqueria (san jose, off winchester & hamilton)
    3. los charros (mountain view, castro st.)
    4. la costena ( mountain view, rengstorff)
    5. la victoria (downtown san jose, actually they fell off but the orange sauce is still decent)

* honorable mention goes out to Iguana's whch lost their lease and its shame since they were really coming up on La Vic for downtown afterhours taqueria supremacy

i dont know about that blanket statement that norcal has shitty mexican food, theres a taqueria at every other corner up here.

-richard

• i dont know about that blanket statement that norcal has shitty mexican food, theres a taqueria at every other corner up here.
    not lying

Watsonville:
    El Frijolito
    Trejos Carnitas
    Taqueria Mi Tierra
    De La Colmena(take-out only)

Santa Cruz:
    Tacos Morenos

+ the tamales at Laney Col. on sundays are always .

• sergserg 682 Posts

nor cal mexican food sucks at picante, it's like fools don't even know what it means. fucking taco bell has more heat than some spots up here. That's my main problem, on meats there is some champ shit up here. I wish I could find a dope spot for enchiladas. I'm sick of this drowning in red cheese sauce shit. I just want that shit topped with some onions, ranchero cheese and crema.

for tacos I fuck with

Tacos Chava (phx), perfect after a day at ecology autowrecking
    Tonayense (sf) my daily lunch spot, but the new truck on 14th needs to step their game up.
    Taqueria Vallarta (sf) when they bust out the taco cart
    El Cachanilla (sf)
    My Mommy (la palma, nayarit, mexico)

not tacos but Spanish Flowers in houston served me the best carnitas I've ever had in my fucking life.

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts

nor cal mexican food sucks at picante, it's like fools don't even know what it means. fucking taco bell has more heat than some spots up here. That's my main problem, on meats there is some champ shit up here. I wish I could find a dope spot for enchiladas. I'm sick of this drowning in red cheese sauce shit. I just want that shit topped with some onions, ranchero cheese and crema.

for tacos I fuck with

Tacos Chava (phx), perfect after a day at ecology autowrecking
    Tonayense (sf) my daily lunch spot, but the new truck on 14th needs to step their game up.
    Taqueria Vallarta (sf) when they bust out the taco cart
    El Cachanilla (sf)
    My Mommy (la palma, nayarit, mexico)

not tacos but Spanish Flowers in houston served me the best carnitas I've ever had in my fucking life.

serg you don't know schitt about Norcal I will see you on Fruitvale or International with your schitttalk.

• sergserg 682 Posts
    do I hear taco battle?

I will take you down in the variety meats

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    do I hear taco battle?

I will take you down in the variety meats

1. lengua
    2. tripa
    3. cabeza
    4. oreja
    5. sesos

I celebrate

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    I had one of the best burritos and fish taco yesterday at Super Sergio's in San Diego. I think now it's my favorite in So-Cal for that matter.

• spexxxspexxx 37 Posts
    Tacos El Grullense (all over Redwood City,some better than others)

La Azteca (Redwood City)

Tacos El Tullense (Redwood again)

Adelita's (San Jose)

The heat is affecting my memory.

Beware of Taco trucks amigos,risky business.

• ZuffNomedZuffNomed 42 Posts
    Beware of Taco trucks amigos,risky business.

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    Rodrigo's Taco Shop inland SD, near Poway. That is the jumpoff since high school.

• karlophonekarlophone 1,697 Posts
    theres the place on SMB kinda east of hollywood, outdoor seating, no mucho englais, anyone know what im talking about? in the 5000s i think? I was impressed.

i like El Cuervo in SD.

wait, wasnt this one good, at least used to be?
    LA TAQUERIA 2889 Mission Street, San Francisco

• JimBeamJimBeam Seattle. 2,012 Posts

I beg to differ... Whatchyouknowbout some El Azteca or El Capitan Super Burritos in Santa Rosa??? (707... holla.)

• It's threads and articles like this, that make me wish I lived in the US and not London. Good, cheap Mexican food can't be found here, unless someone knows different.

I believe there is a place in Notting Hill Gate called "The Taqueria" or something to that effect that according to another socal transplant in London has pretty decent food. I never made it up there myself during my time in London, but after 5 months there I was craving some good Mexican food back home. I hate living without it.

My personal coup was teaching my British friends our family guacamole recipe.

• waxjunkywaxjunky 1,850 Posts
    King Taco at the Rose Bowl is some of the best stadium food you will have. Too bad they're not at Dodger Stadium anymore, but I'm a Giants fan and I'm back in NorCal, so what do I really care now?

In Los Angeles, I like Paco's Tacos on 4141 Centinella. To me, their combo plates are the epitome of great Mexican food. The decor is always on point as well. Also, if there's not a lady making fresh tortillas on the comal, then that place is already out of the running. Paco's makes fresh tortillas all night long, so when they ask if you want flour or corn, ask for both. Also, ask for the spicy carrots and onions. They used to automatically bring them to the table years ago, but now they're by request only -- but still complimentary.

• Rich45sRich45s 327 Posts
    It's threads and articles like this, that make me wish I lived in the US and not London. Good, cheap Mexican food can't be found here, unless someone knows different.

I believe there is a place in Notting Hill Gate called "The Taqueria" or something to that effect that according to another socal transplant in London has pretty decent food. I never made it up there myself during my time in London, but after 5 months there I was craving some good Mexican food back home. I hate living without it.

My personal coup was teaching my British friends our family guacamole recipe.

Thanks for that, that's not to far from me at all. Having done some reading of reviews it's certainly provoked some reaction so well worth checking out.

http://www.mynottinghill.co.uk/nottinghilltv/restaurants-review-taqueria.htm

• dollar_bindollar_bin I heartily endorse this product and/or event 2,326 Posts
    4. la costena ( mountain view, rengstorff)

i dont know about that blanket statement that norcal has shitty mexican food, theres a taqueria at every other corner up here.

-richard

on La Co. My feeling is that there are definitely good and bad, but even then different places cater to different tastes. Case in point, Tacos La Luna on Moffett is your #1 source for grease. Greasiest carnitas tacos I ever had, literally swimming in it, and sometimes that's what hits the spot. Their Huevos con Chorizo platter is hangover heaven.

Also, almost any place has good days and bad days. Even at my favorite spots I've had a pretty wide range of qualities and tastes if I eat there with any regularity. For example, when they're good, Taqueria El Toro at 17th and Valencia in SF is pretty much my favorite of all time (I can't help it, it's the place I was raised on), but I've definitely had some serious there as well.