Bobby Bland

RonanRonan 86 Posts
edited July 2006 in Strut Central
picked up bobby bland's "i'm so tired" 45 on Duke . i've been sleepin! phat ballsy soul the way i liike it.any other shit i should check. is that him doin "aint no love in the heart of the city" on roc raidas' "i got records too" comp ?whats his BB king collab ish like?

Comments

• rawyouthrawyouth 112 Posts
    The Lp "Two Steps From The Blues", especially Cry, Cry, Cry---and the 45's Shoes and Rockin' In The Same Old Boat.

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    dude made killer records in three different decades...one of his first singles "I've been wrong for so long" sounds 20 years ahead of its time and is amazing. dont sleep on "yum yum tree" either..shit dont sleep on anything on Duke, and even some of the ABC stuff is good. I can do without the BB King stuff, but that is just me and not really being super appreciative for BB King...not my cuppa.

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    "aint no love in the heart of the city"

It's from an lp on ABC called "Dreamer". Good record that is pretty easy to find.

His Duke stuff is awesome though.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    Bobby has had his slow moments (on most of his MCA records, he appeared to be phoning it in), but it's safe to say that I Celebate His Entire Catalog. The disco years were not kind to him, but he adapted to soul music like he INVENTED the shit (like on the Don Davis-produced "Keep On Loving Me").

My Bobby "Blue" Bland top ten:
    - "I'm Sorry"
    - "Wouldn't You Rather Have Me"
    - "Members Only"
    - "Where Baby Went"
    - "These Hands (Small But Mighty)"
    - "Little Boy Blue"
    - "Ain't Nothing You Can Do"
    - "A Piece Of Gold"
    - "You're All I Need"
    - "Hold Me Tenderly"
    - "Yield Not To Temptation"
    - "Don't Cry No More"

I know that's twelve songs, but in the immortal words of Johnny Adams, "Hell Yes, I Cheated!"

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    His cover of St. James Infirmary is required reading for all heads in the know.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    His cover of St. James Infirmary is required reading for all heads in the know.

Big Co-Sign!

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    "36-24-36"
    ...she looks so good from her head to feet
    "36-24-36"
    ...my baaaaaby... can be tied, but she can't be beat!

best dual-meaning evar!

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    "Tiptoe down off of that throne, baby...you've already been queen for a day."

Tell her off, Bobby.

(from "Queen For A Day," on his Duke album Call On Me/That's The Way Love Is)

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    "aint no love in the heart of the city"

It's from an lp on ABC called "Dreamer". Good record that is pretty easy to find.

His Duke stuff is awesome though.

http://www.soulstrut.com/reviews/review/review_insert.php?item_id=2001

• You're The One ... Deep... This song has the most timeless feel in the world.

• buttonbutton 1,475 Posts
    You're The One ... Deep... This song has the most timeless feel in the world.

One of the top cuts from your mix!

• hammertimehammertime 2,389 Posts
    i love love LOVE his version of "Blue Moon".

• RonanRonan 86 Posts

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts
    Bobby has had his slow moments (on most of his MCA records, he appeared to be phoning it in), but it's safe to say that I Celebate His Entire Catalog. The disco years were not kind to him, but he adapted to soul music like he INVENTED the shit (like on the Don Davis-produced "Keep On Loving Me").

My Bobby "Blue" Bland top ten:
    - "I'm Sorry"
    - "Wouldn't You Rather Have Me"
    - "Members Only"
    - "Where Baby Went"
    - "These Hands (Small But Mighty)"
    - "Little Boy Blue"
    - "Ain't Nothing You Can Do"
    - "A Piece Of Gold"
    - "You're All I Need"
    - "Hold Me Tenderly"
    - "Yield Not To Temptation"
    - "Don't Cry No More"

I know that's twelve songs, but in the immortal words of Johnny Adams, "Hell Yes, I Cheated!"

no "i'll takae care of you"?!?!?!

i basically think that if you take the "two steps from the blues LP' and add "yield not to temptaion" , "turn on your love light" and "36-24-36", you have the ultimate BBB collection...

"i'm so tired" was the first BBB record i had, but hearing the eraly stuff blew my mind... "little boy blue" is my favborite song by him...

• leolyxxxleolyxxx 446 Posts
    Ey yo, you forgot "i ain't myself anymore" which for me is his best record, haunting and moody 60s midtempo...

peas
    L