whatcha listenin to right now?

parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
edited July 2006 in Strut Central
from 1976 on Nashboro records, kinda mediocre but some decent tracks...

Comments

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    yesterday, today, and tomorrow OST from hottie sophia loren movie
    feel like I got a cold coming on, erghck, just got over strep a week ago
    yaargh

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts

• wooshiewooshie 490 Posts
    Meaty Ogre's myspace shit.

• dollar_bindollar_bin I heartily endorse this product and/or event 2,326 Posts
    I'm going to wait until I'm listening to something cool before I post in this thread

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    Last one before I head to bed...

DJ Pinch[/b] - Qawwali

• 1219197712191977 323 Posts
    Im listening to.... Damon-Song Of A Gypsy (reissue) on a german label, Guerssen.
    If you dont know this one its worth checking out.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Fuzzy Haskins.

• AaronAaron 977 Posts
    Hey, Cosmo, I enjoyed the EWF talk the other day. Wish we had more moments like that on the Strut.

I think we should create a "board's mix" tomorrow. I already got the first track lined up, which I'm listening to right now: George Duke's "Brazilian Love Affair."

I guess I'm just feeling it out since tomorrow's Friday, afterall. But I think it would be a fun thing to do.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Hey, Cosmo, I enjoyed the EWF talk the other day. Wish we had more moments like that on the Strut.

I think we should create a "board's mix" tomorrow. I already got the first track lined up, which I'm listening to right now: George Duke's "Brazilian Love Affair."

I guess I'm just feeling it out since tomorrow's Friday, afterall. But I think it would be a fun thing to do.

Yeah that was fun, and I was drunk. Unfortunately I'm not gonna be online tomorrow to get it it but that sounds like a good idea.

Also, mthe EWF talk got me all hyped cause I'm spinning a set at the neighborhood block party on Saturday, so just picture a summer day in Brooklyn type shit that i'm just gonna be throwing for the old heads (thing GROWN AND SEXY) before the reggae soundsystem from the building takes over.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    Mel & Tim's Starting All Over Again, on Stax. Especially the unfuckwitable title track and its' followup ("I May Not Be What You Want," heard in the Wattstax movie). Those guys obviously failed acting class - listen to that horrible dialogue that opens "Starting...," where Mel receives a telegram from his estranged girlfriend - "Hey, Tim! This-Is-From-Bar-bar-a! She-Sez-She-Still-Loves-Me! And-She'll-Be-Here-To-Mor-Row!" No wonder the DJ copies of the single had a version without the rap! But when the song kicks in, with those tight harmonies and the Muscle Shoals rhythm section hanging in there, there's no doubt that this was one of soul music's finest moments.

And the rest of the album is pretty good, too.

• phatmoneysackphatmoneysack Melbourne 1,124 Posts

• aleitaleit 1,915 Posts
    randy weston.

i caught that block party shit when it was in the theatre, dog.

whattup cosmo!?!

• AaronAaron 977 Posts
    I thought you might have been drunk -- those keystrokes were all over the place!

Wish I could be at that block party. I guess if anyone else is game we'll throw our own cyber block party. It won't be as good because you can't smell the BBQ, but we'll do our best.

And if nobody's game I'll make my own damn mix and put it up on here!

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    Mel & Tim's Starting All Over Again, on Stax.

I like that uptempo take on I'm Your Puppet.

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    The same goddamn song over and over an overandoverandoverandover all day.

I'm starting to get sick of my own music

I need silence (and a drink )

Mel & Tim's Starting All Over Again, on Stax.

I like that uptempo take on I'm Your Puppet.

Same here - the Muscle Shoals guys gave it the same semi-reggae treatment that they laid down on the Staple Singers'"I'll Take You There."

• Black Market Militia
    AZ - Doe or Die
    Sheist Bubz - Candyland Mixtape
    Pumpkinhead - Red Moon over Brooklyn (or some shit)

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    I'm watching myself on TV betwixt classic Hip Hop videos.

Wanna see?

YEEEEEEEEE!!!!

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    I need to pick that one up. I've been listening to there Life and Breath album a bit lately. You need that one? I saw it the other day at a spot for 10 bucks..

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    Tonight:

Otis Clay - A House Ain't A Home (Without A Woman) (Hi)
    Total last-song-of-the-night stunner off one of those surprisingly solid late 70s HI albums: Clay's "I Can't Take It." Bonus electric noises totally for free. A must must must.

Eddie Floyd - Gotta Make A Comeback (Stax)
    Yes, the Montgomery Movement version of this song might be better, but this song is such a ShowerSoul Classic. Flip over your copy of "Knock On Wood."

The Street Cleaners - That's Cool, That's Trash (originally on Amy)
    The whole reason I snagged this otherwise questionable 80s compilation of 60s rock oddities ("Riot City!" on Satan Records). This early (1964) single is actually R.B. Hudmon with aural sneer fully intact. Funny and freewheeling. Real hipster mod shit.

Johnny Love - Little Girl / Sad and Blue (Gerart Music Enterprises)
    You know when you hear a song and think: "You know? If this single just had (_____), it would kick all kinds of ass?" Well, this is one of those 45s. Some nasty drums (as there are literally NO drums) would really hit this spot right HERE. As it is, two CJ records-sounding quirky blues numbers.

Bobby Paris - Let Me Show You The Way (Tetragrammaton)
    I'm not sure what to think about this LP. There are several nice blue-eyed yellers on here, and I got it for one dollar at the Salvation Army, so I'm feeling it. Additionally, over-the-top jacket notes: "Bobby Paris is crazy. Music feeds him. It's like adrenalin..." Not quite as good textually as Mitch Ryder's "Breakout!", but passable.

Big Maybelle - Mama / Keep That Man (Rojac)
    It's fucking BIG MAYBELLE, for god's sake.

Renaldo Domino - Not Too Cool To Cry / Nevermore (Twinight)
    Thanks, Chris. Sounds fine to me. Richard Pegue is a beautiful mad goddamn scientist.

Loleatta Holloway - Rainbow '71 (Apache)
    This is a cover of one of my favorite soul songs ever. And Loleatta kills it. Extra bonus: The Soul Setup ("If you're reading a newspaper, put it aside...If you're driving in your car, pull over onto the curb.")

...and some squirrely gospel soul 45s I'm not telling a soul about - because those are for daddy.

• Enjoying this one right now.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts

Enjoying this one right now.

• noreillenoreille 270 Posts

Renaldo Domino - Not Too Cool To Cry / Nevermore (Twinight)

Kent (the subsidiary of the UK reissue label Ace) really screwed up by not putting "Not Too Cool To Cry" on their compilation, Twinight's Chicago Soul Heaven - not only was it a local hit, but it's got a Papa John Creach-ish violin solo! Do we thank producer Richard Pegue for that? And no ten emo bands could match Domino's raw emotion; I've played this single at home maybe five or six times in a row before moving on, and if I had it on my iTunes it would likely be one of my Top 3 Most Played. I always did like those soul songs that made begging sound like the hippest thing a man or woman could do!!!

As it was, the Kent compilers went with the flipside, which is a stunner in its' own right. But I'm not too cool to say that it's no "Not Too Cool To Cry."

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,390 Posts
    "Hey Mr Custer" - Larry Verne.

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,390 Posts

Looks like a still from a beach remake of the Omen.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    Last five songs on Windows Media Player;

Hall & Oates: Cold, Dark & Yesterday
    John Tropea: Livin' In The Jungle
    Alan Parsons Project: I, Robot (Pilooski re-edit)
    Robin Trower: I'm Out To Get You
    Eberhard Schoener feat. Sting: Flashback

Yacht Rock like whoa.

• shooteralishooterali 1,591 Posts
    SECRET OYSTER : Straight to the Krankenhaus, Vidunderlige K??lling [AKA Astarte] & a whole lot of unrelease og version of 2pac songs.

• montymonty 420 Posts
    The same goddamn song over and over an overandoverandoverandover all day.

I'm starting to get sick of my own music

I need silence (and a drink )

or a ...one of the occupational hazards of producing.

i'm listening to keyboard and bass parts recorded years ago, contemplating adding drums and sweetening with a MOTIF ES 8 i'm just getting to know.