Trap Door vinyl source?

DjArcadianDjArcadian 3,630 Posts
edited July 2006 in Strut Central
I haven't bothered to re-read the Trap Door threads but I got to talking with some dude at Amoeba's in SF about it. He was wearing a West is the Best t-shirt and knew the cats involved with the making of it. He seemed to imply that a lot of the vinyl used for the Trap Door mix came from the same basement source that Shadow used for Endtroducing. I'm not sure if he was speaking of the OG mix or the newest one however. Told me a story of someone knocking over a pile of records and some $1600 joint sliding out from the mix. Just thought I'd share this tidbit.

Comments

• DJFerrariDJFerrari 2,411 Posts
    I know the Azitis LP from the first mix came from that basement... not sure what else. Xian psych madness!

• OneSoulOneSoul 206 Posts
    He seemed to imply that a lot of the vinyl used for the Trap Door mix came from the same basement source that Shadow used for Endtroducing.

could very well be the case, here's a quote from NateDiggles:

the basement story is a good one. seems like some blurry daydream but sean has the video to prove it. poisonous black mold, ghosts, bats[/b], coal miner helmets, pigeon attacks, valuable records, small fires, cardboard box paper cut with black mold combo, collapsing ceilings, permanent lung damage...

so worth it. Sean, tell the story.

I remember Josh talking about the bats, do you smell gas? it smell's like gasssss

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    the dickwiding is out of contwol.

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    This wonderful Mix CD is available in The Soul Strut SHOP

http://www.soulstrut.com/shop/

• coolchriscoolchris 301 Posts
    That would be the first mix that nate,sean and drew did.And I do believe that the core of that mix came from finds in the infamous K-street basement.They found enough hot shit down there for more than a few trap doors,and some how,The Damon they unearthed was omited.What a crime.
    On a side note.When I was down there with them,I found a petrified dead bat and within 3 feet was a copy of a 60's Life Magazine with Batman on the cover.I put the bat on top of the mag and shot a picture.I'll try to find it.

• MorseCodeMorseCode 1,516 Posts
    What's this Trap Door mix everyone keeps talking about? Could somebody school me on it? What's it all about?

• aleitaleit 1,915 Posts
    I found a petrified dead bat and within 3 feet was a copy of a 60's Life Magazine with Batman on the cover.I put the bat on top of the mag and shot a picture.

rats, roaches, lizards, and once a snake.
    but bats i've never done.

that's a funny story chris.
    you gotta respect the omen.
    but i bet you kept digging anywyay (as i would've...)

• That would be the first mix that nate,sean and drew did.And I do believe that the core of that mix came from finds in the infamous K-street basement.They found enough hot shit down there for more than a few trap doors,and some how,The Damon they unearthed was omited.What a crime.
    On a side note.When I was down there with them,I found a petrified dead bat and within 3 feet was a copy of a 60's Life Magazine with Batman on the cover.I put the bat on top of the mag and shot a picture.I'll try to find it.

that was wild when they were going through the lp's there, so many 100 count boxes piled up! I found one of my favorite rare funk 45's ever that day (Sean kinda cringed when I brought that over to purchase ), plus my first copy of Gwen And George. Also the first time I ever chilled with Dr*w and S*an...fun times.

it def. smelled like gas down there, but remember some dudes were SMOKING! I was a lil uneasy about that...haha

• NateBizzoNateBizzo 2,328 Posts
    How do I cop one of those Trap Door Tee Shirts?

Anybody got a copy of "Damon" they want to sell?

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts

• OneSoulOneSoul 206 Posts

this from Sean:

I still have some left if anyone is interested. We have two different shirts one says The West Is The Best and the other is Trap Door. The shirts come in medium and Large(american apperal) we have Black, Army, and Cream.

Anyways were selling them for $12.00[/b], Chris is also selling them in his shop, so for all you locals go Repersent.

• bobbydeebobbydee 849 Posts

rats, roaches, lizards, and once a snake.

In a semi-related incindent, last night i set up an old stereo that had been in storage at my parents place. The idea was to give me some reference other than my monitors, and giant old german wooden speakers seemed pretty polar opposites.

First one went up fine, wired, checked up and running. Second one seemed to be making a strange squeaking sound when i turned it on. So I turned it off but the squeaking continued. One by one watched 3 big mice and 8 little ones squeeze out a hole they had chewed in the corner.

• wooshiewooshie 490 Posts

• rats, roaches, lizards, and once a snake.

In a semi-related incindent, last night i set up an old stereo that had been in storage at my parents place. The idea was to give me some reference other than my monitors, and giant old german wooden speakers seemed pretty polar opposites.

First one went up fine, wired, checked up and running. Second one seemed to be making a strange squeaking sound when i turned it on. So I turned it off but the squeaking continued. One by one watched 3 big mice and 8 little ones squeeze out a hole they had chewed in the corner.

So now when you have company and lil doods (mice) are running around.
    you can explain.!

Foreal though. That sucks.. that would of freaked me out.The Bats too