wedding strut

soul_lurkersoul_lurker 99 Posts
edited July 2006 in Strut Central
I'm about to get married in a couple of weeks. I'm sure every one here has dj'd a wedding before. But what songs would you really want to hear at yr. own wedding. I'm think thinking slow love songs doo-wop ala flamingo's to do the first dance. That said, what are some of the best songs heard at soulful funky weddings???"cut the cake" is a little too obvious. Feel free to post a song.SL

Comments

• damn.......hellOOOOOOO!!!!!!!

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    I'm think thinking slow love songs doo-wop ala flamingo's to do the first dance.

At our honeymoon we danced to Lester Bowies version of I've Only Got Eyes For You. That's our song now. There is a Lester Bowie 12" of the song. Recommended.

Zim Zimmeral (old Baltimore heads know what I'm talking about) played our wedding. I just sold a killer Air Force Band record with a cover of Red Clay and a great female vocalist. I did a web search on her. Turns out she was the vocalist at our wedding.

• thanks,
    i was just talking about that lester bowie song the other day. one of the members of the brass band we hired for the wedding march, mentioned it. i'm lookin out for the a recording. i think it's easier djing someone else's wedding.

i thought i'd post this since there's little reply.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5jhINHOlaiA&mode=related&search=wedding%20

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    HI VIRGIL!!!!

your wedding is the same day as my block party. Last year my neighbors had me so drunk before 2pm. be prepared for some offbeat mixes.

• I'm ready, you'll be with good company so don't fret about being " off-beat". remember people at weddings are supposed to get drunk. Sounds like the neighborhood will be a bit rowdy. I hope nothins going down at mc carrin that night.
    so why won't anyone post some good old fashion love songs, i mean this i wedding season isnt it. it might actually be baby season, there bin a bit of impregnitus going around.

here some of mine:
    Addicted To Love Sonic Youth
    RockAfternoon Love In Prefuse73
    All I Wanna Do Is Make Love To You Heart
    All Of My Love Led Zeppelin
    Ambulance TV On The Radio
    And I Love Her Paul McCartney
    Baby I Love You Sugarman Three
    Dreaming Sun Ra 2:45 The Singles
    Can't Help But Love You The Standells
    Forever Your Love Daniel Johnston

Gangster Of Love Talking Heads
    Give Me All Your Love Jo Hamann
    Got Love If You Want It Kinks
    He Loves Me All The Way Tammy Wynette
    Hey Love Stevie Wonder
    How Sweet It Is (To Be Loved By You) Marvin Gaye
    I Love How You Love Me Neutral Milk Hotel
    I Love How You Love Me Paris Sisters - Phil Spector
    I Love You Lou Reed
    I Only Have Eyes For You Billie Holiday
    I Only Have Eyes For You Flamingos, The
    Lovesong [Live] Cure, The
    Method of Modern Love
    Maybe (doo-wop classic) The Chantels
    Modern Love David Bowie
    Natural Born Lover
    My Love Supreme
    Oh My dear(Fallingin Love) Ween
    No Ordinary Love Sade
    Our Love Is Here To Stay
    Our Love Gunther Kaufmann
    P.S. I Love You The Beatles
    P.S. I Love You Billie Holiday
    so in love Festivals
    Sombody's In Love Sun Ra
    The Closer You Are Earl Lewis & The Channels
    The Eraser Thom Yorke
    Train Of Love Johnny Cash
    The Luckiest Guy On The Lower East Side
    this modern love Bloc Party
    What A Wonderfulthing Love Is Al Green
    Woman, A Lover, A Friend Otis Redding
    Your Precious Love - With Tammi Terrell Marvin Gaye

• kitchenknightkitchenknight 4,922 Posts
    This is far from complete (we have 2 months to go until our wedding) but here is the start of our wedding playlist:

James Brown- Pretty Much anything
    Curtis Mayfield- "Move On Up"; Same rules as above
    Stevie Wonder-"I Was Made To Love Her"; ditto
    Al Green- "Let's Get Married"
    "I'm So Glad You're Mine"
    Marvin Gaye-"You're All I Need to Get By"
    The Emotions-"Blind Alley"
    Chi Lites-"Are You My Woman?"
    Aretha Franklin- "House that Jack Built"
    "Think"
    "Baby, I Love You"
    Jr. Walker & the All Stars- "Shotgun"
    Speedometer- "Work It Out"
    Nicole Willis- "If This Ain't Love, Don't Know what is"
    Sharon Jones & the Dap Kings- "(How Long Do I Have to) Wait for your Love"
    Brenton Wood- "Gimme A Little Sign Girl"
    Martha Reeves- "A Love Like Yours"
    "Nowhere to Run to"
    -"Band of Gold"
    Smokey Robinson- "I Second that Emotion"
    Barbara Acklin- "Am I the Same Girl"
    Don Gardner- "My Baby Likes to Boogaloo"

Some fast ones, some slow ones...take your picks.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    some more uptempo selections mixed in, but all jams I'd think of having played at mine

The Lovelites - I Love You (Yes I Do)
    Norma Jean & Ray J - I Love You
    aforementioned Flamingos tune
    Brenda & The Tabulations - Stay Together Young Lovers (Ben Aiken also has a great cover of this if you prefer a male lead )
    Barbara Mason - Yes I'm Ready
    The Majestics - The Key To Love
    Billy Stewart - I Do Love You

and on and on

How do y'all feel about this as a first dance? For a while, it held that coveted spot, but the lady wasn't feeling it. Too literal on the "I don't even know how..." parts. I said, hell, just listen to how it feels and the ending.

Thoughts? It will be played, but not where I want it to be.

• As I put together my own I-mix of songs i have discovered that there will be the songs to be played during dinner, probably my slow stuff, and then there's the bangers that will get wifey and company on the dance floor, ala Delay . but i really see the slow dance as the most special songs of the night.

we're gonna do loungey jazz/rat pack stuff at dinner. my lady's italian, and my grandma loves ol' blue eyes, so that's gonna be an imix.

then, moving into the soul with a dj, mix of upbeat and slow for the first couple hours. then, as the night gets on, and folks get drunker, we're moving to some disco to end the night.

• thanks for the suggestions and congrats as well, i'm pretty punny my self so literal is no prob. is "yes, im ready" the b-side to "this is dedicated to the one i love." i gotta check the crates.

• jamesjames chicago 1,863 Posts

How do y'all feel about this as a first dance? For a while, it held that coveted spot, but the lady wasn't feeling it. Too literal on the "I don't even know how..." parts. I said, hell, just listen to how it feels and the ending.

That version is creepy as fuck, relying as it does on a skeevy teacher/student dynamic between a less-experienced woman and a worldly dude. It's sweet and all, but it's still essentially some "Teach me, Daddy" shit. I'm with your lady on this one.

thanks for the suggestions and congrats as well, i'm pretty punny my self so literal is no prob. is "yes, im ready" the b-side to "this is dedicated to the one i love." i gotta check the crates.

congrats to you as well. i've gotten really excited this week for it; batch party last weekend, invites coming from the printer tomorrow, etc. really happening.

I forget the B-side, but I think it is something else. I guess i see her literal point, and we found another tune, but it was a 'lively' discussion round the a.p.t.

That song is creepy as fuck, relying as it does on a skeevy teacher/student dynamic between a less-experienced woman and a worldly dude. It's sweet and all, but it's still essentially some "Teach me, Daddy" shit. I'm with your lady on this one.

Clearly your antiquated notions of gender and sexuality prevent you from considering a role reversal in this song

That song is creepy as fuck, relying as it does on a skeevy teacher/student dynamic between a less-experienced woman and a worldly dude. It's sweet and all, but it's still essentially some "Teach me, Daddy" shit. I'm with your lady on this one.

Never saw it that way, and don't think I will in the future. I just took it as excitement for having met someone, and swooning over them. Plus, I love the end, when she is ready to, 'fall in love...right now'. It is the start of something great- like, hopefully, a marriage.

• Never saw it that way, and don't think I will in the future. I just took it as excitement for having met someone, and swooning over them. Plus, I love the end, when she is ready to, 'fall in love...right now'. It is the start of something great- like, hopefully, a marriage.

you guys are THweet!!!!!

That
    song version is creepy as fuck, relying as it does on a skeevy teacher/student dynamic between a less-experienced woman and a worldly dude. It's sweet and all, but it's still essentially some "Teach me, Daddy" shit. I'm with your lady on this one.

Clearly your antiquated notions of gender and sexuality prevent you from considering a role reversal in this song
    While I will not dispute my antiquity, I have edited my post for clarity.

That
    song version is creepy as fuck, relying as it does on a skeevy teacher/student dynamic between a less-experienced woman and a worldly dude. It's sweet and all, but it's still essentially some "Teach me, Daddy" shit. I'm with your lady on this one.

I always get a vision of being schooled by a worldly dominatrix. But maybe that's just me.

That

I always get a vision of being schooled by a worldly dominatrix. But maybe that's just me.

Can we get a graelin of this shot, and her holding a whip?

Oh. she's ready.

• Barbara Mason - Yes I'm Ready

That

Can we get a graelin of this shot, and her holding a whip?

Oh. she's ready.

i'm really starting to like this idea, don't hurt me baby.

• Paging Soulmoccossa, where is marco????? don't make me holla......Marco

That

I have a similar vision regarding the intro to "Computer Blue."

• v - Congrats on the upcoming wedding. Definitely glad to hear the good news.
    I need to check you out next time i come up to NYC.
    Nice choice of DJ for the reception, btw. -mm

here's just a few...

Testify - Parliaments
    From the Love Side - Hank Ballard
    Soulful Strut - YHU
    Be Thankful - W. Devaughn

Soulful Strut - YHU

We're recessing to this...as we kiss, the intro starts, and we'll walk back down the aisle to this one.

• I always thought it would be awesome to see someone walk down the aisle to the Instrumental of Moosebumps, by Dr. Octagon.

• IronfeetIronfeet 516 Posts
    Dude get a band (Breakestra???) and a DJ...

• v - Congrats on the upcoming wedding. Definitely glad to hear the good news.
    I need to check you out next time i come up to NYC.
    Nice choice of DJ for the reception, btw. -mm

here's just a few...

Testify - Parliaments
    From the Love Side - Hank Ballard
    Soulful Strut - YHU
    Be Thankful - W. Devaughn

thanks m**ey,
    dig the selection, it reminds me, at first we thought about stocking the dj booth with our own records, and having the djs play our music. now the desire to make things effortless makes me wish every one would post mp3s such as yours, it would make for a smoking playlist

from the love side is one of our favorites, (Hanks version has the bounce.)
    if your aroung Aug. 5th stop through.
    good to hear from you .

• Dude get a band (Breakestra???) and a DJ...
    thanks for the input. i honestly used to think they would be the band for my wedding. but we on a budget, holmes. But yr. suggestion is on point, we hired a new orleans stlye brass band. they knocked me out when they played their version of " i put a spell on you". they will lead the wedding party to the reception area.
    and as for the dj. got it covered as well, he gets Psycrunk points