Fav Organ Jazz LP or Track

the3rdstreamthe3rdstream 1,980 Posts
edited February 2016 in Music Talk
I usually never listen to jazz shit with organ, never been my thing, but this summer I have been feeling a number of tracks, one is Mo' Rock by Baby Face Willetteso give me one that ranks as your fav, just one, i don't need larry young or jimmy smith's discography

Comments

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    i don't need larry young or jimmy smith's discography

actually, you do.

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    I usually never listen to jazz shit with organ, never been my thing, but this summer I have been feeling a number of tracks, one is Mo' Rock by Baby Face Willette

cosign. Thats the tune that hooked me on hammond jazz. Lately(shit, the last year) my shit in the jazz organ realm has been this

• It's hard to pick just one, but if I have to, and it has to be jazz, 'Unity' by Larry Young. Absolutely indispensable.

• the3rdstreamthe3rdstream 1,980 Posts

actually, you do.

i think my life is just fine without spaceball

It's hard to pick just one, but if I have to, and it has to be jazz, 'Unity' by Larry Young. Absolutely indispensable.

cosign.

and it really depends on if you want to lean more to jazz improvisation, boogaloo or funk.

actually, you do.

i think my life is just fine without spaceball

Larry Young was working with a lot of synthesizers on those era LPs. I would really not classify them as Organ jazz.

That would be LPs with the B-3. Period.

and..

the majority of both of those catalogs pretty much represent the best of the B-3 across many styles. true that Smith's is so vast you could really have too many of his bluenotes pretty quick. but still. that's the shit IMO

the majority of both of those catalogs pretty much represent the best of the B-3 across many styles. true that Smith's is so vast you could really have too many of his bluenotes pretty quick.

I have read that he recorded 17 Lps between 1957 and 1958. Dont know how many were releaesed but you can only have so many jazz standards with 12 minute hammond solos in them before it all sounds the same.

• I was just digging this. George Freeman lays down some sick weird lines that at times sound Sharrockian.

• It's hard to pick just one, but if I have to, and it has to be jazz, 'Unity' by Larry Young. Absolutely indispensable.

co-sign times infinity

You don't just get Larry Young, you get Joe Henderson and freaking Woody Shaw too. An amazing album.

you can only have so many jazz standards with 12 minute hammond solos in them before it all sounds the same.

you can only have so many jazz standards with 12 minute hammond solos in them before it all sounds the same.

It's hard to pick just one, but if I have to, and it has to be jazz, 'Unity' by Larry Young. Absolutely indispensable.

co-sign times infinity

You don't just get Larry Young, you get Joe Henderson and freaking Woody Shaw too. An amazing album.

Hey!

that don't mean you shouldn't have any!

At least pick up this one:

• the majority of both of those catalogs pretty much represent the best of the B-3 across many styles. true that Smith's is so vast you could really have too many of his bluenotes pretty quick.

I have read that he recorded 17 Lps between 1957 and 1958. Dont know how many were releaesed but you can only have so many jazz standards with 12 minute hammond solos in them before it all sounds the same.

Replace the word "hammond" with saxophone, trumpet, piano etc. Do you not dig the jazz???

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,390 Posts
    So many but here's four tracks I come back to time and again:

Murrilley - Charles Earland
    Song for My father - Groove Holmes
    8 Counts For Rita - Jimmy Smith
    Beat Me Til I'm Blue - Alan hawkshaw (...jazz? hmmm)

the majority of both of those catalogs pretty much represent the best of the B-3 across many styles. true that Smith's is so vast you could really have too many of his bluenotes pretty quick.

Replace the word "hammond" with saxophone, trumpet, piano etc. Do you not dig the jazz???

nah, I really dig jazz, prolly makes up close to 50% of my record collection...but they're not as many unique players/stylists in the hammond game as pianists/horn players...so the breadth of variety isnt as wide, so hammond albums can get kinda bogged down with a sameness at times that isnt found in other jazz players catalougues.

• the majority of both of those catalogs pretty much represent the best of the B-3 across many styles. true that Smith's is so vast you could really have too many of his bluenotes pretty quick.

nah, I really dig jazz, prolly makes up close to 50% of my record collection...but they're not as many unique players/stylists in the hammond game as pianists/horn players...so the breadth of variety isnt as wide, so hammond albums can get kinda bogged down with a sameness at times that isnt found in other jazz players catalougues.

That I will agree with wholeheartedly.

jazz makes up 99% of my collection and i feel the same way, its kinda like what a lot of jazz musicians said when the electic piano came out, the instrument does not let an artists individuality come through, i do like many elecric piano tunes and lps and would argue that a the electric piano gives a better opportunity to show individuality, the organ gives even less

you guys have to admit those jimmy smith records do get a bit tedious, i have listened to probaly most jimmy smith albums on bluenote and many not on the lable, there is prob only a hand full that i would take the time to find or listen to again

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,390 Posts

jazz makes up 99% of my collection and i feel the same way, its kinda like what a lot of jazz musicians said when the electic piano came out, the instrument does not let an artists individuality come through, i do like many elecric piano tunes and lps and would argue that a the electric piano gives a better opportunity to show individuality, the organ gives even less

you guys have to admit those jimmy smith records do get a bit tedious, i have listened to probaly most jimmy smith albums on bluenote and many not on the lable, there is prob only a hand full that i would take the time to find or listen to again

My collection's very heavy on jazz and lots of organ in there but I wouldn't agree about the instument not allowing the musician to express themselves fully. I would definitely agree that at least 50% of Jimmy Smith's output bores me senseless and even my favourite Grove Holmes (Soul Message is such a sweet LP) seemed to work on a strictly 80/20 crap to quality ratio. But the quality is quality and the playing is as expressive as could be....

• aleitaleit 1,915 Posts
    i've never been much of a jimmy smith fan. never caught my ear.

but you're treading on thin ice with the larry young diss, sir thirdstream.
    too many solid albums by that man - and freethinking ones at that.

Beyond Unity there is:

Of Love & Peace
    Contrasts
    Heaven on Earth
    Lawrence of Newark
    his work with Tony Williams on the first Emergency LP.

have you heard all these albums?
    they are "up your alley".

• i love me some organ burner.

BUENO is my mellow ass organ jam

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts
    i love me some organ burner.

BUENO is my mellow ass organ jam
    I was just thinking about that song.

You probably would dig that, W**l.

Beyond Unity there is:

Of Love & Peace
    Contrasts
    Heaven on Earth
    Lawrence of Newark
    his work with Tony Williams on the first Emergency LP.

have you heard all these albums?
    they are "up your alley".

i def love unity, those other blue notes you mentioned i dig but don't make my panties wet like unity, but yeah it would prob not hurt if i went back and lisented to them again

i have heard lawrence of numark and would prob pick up it if found on the cheap

the tony williams stuff is way to "rocky" for me

come on people here has got to be someone else to talk about other than larry younf and jimmy smith, come with the obscure stuff...

• bonzaisk8bonzaisk8 946 Posts

Shirley Scott 'Soul Shoutin' 1963

• you wear panties?

obscure....

some people say it's tepid... i dont think so.

• you wear panties?

obscure....

some people say it's tepid... i dont think so.

'Sanford & Son Theme' is

A. Pearson, plaese send next copy you find to Me c/o NJ....

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    Willie Wall Trio

• yea it's not super duper dobre rare. i have had it a few times as of recent. i used to get $150. last time i got $60. discouraging price for organ rare. i listened to shirley scott and the soul saxes last night. that record sucks ass. saturday night live outro chesse jazz bullshit with overwraught horn blasts.

• i like this guy...

afrodisiac is really good.

• "Roll 'em Pete"

last track off this one by richard "groove" holmes

beautiful how he messes with the melody throughout the tune. could listen to it everyday.

Agreed. I enjoy the Blue Note Jimmy Smith LPs with horn players like the above mentioned and "Open House" type shit. I like the Verve dates for the Oliver Nelson or Lalo Schifrin arrangements. Then Root Down is in a class of its own. I also really like the interaction between Smith and Donald Bailey on the faster tunes. The slower tunes without horns are too often snoozers.

Anyways...

I'm really into Leon Spencer these days. His version of Mercy Mercy Me (the Ecology) is moist.