Movie Strut.

puchitopuchito 374 Posts
edited July 2006 in Strut Central
Just renewed my Nexflix. So I need some good recommendations. What's Hot? What's Not?Hook A Brotha Up!

Comments

• phono13phono13 842 Posts
    Maybe now is/isn't a good time, but I finally watched Munich and Syriana last week. I liked'em both.

• DrJoelDrJoel 932 Posts
    i saw Cache` the other night. i've been wanting to check that director for a while and this was my first, interesting watch. Didn't blow me away, but i enjoyed it. i just got the Townes Van Zandt (Be Here To Love Me) that i am excited to see.

There is a decent Country Revival documentary on netflix Heartworn Highways that i'd reccomend to people who like older country stuff. Townes Van Zandt draws tears out of this old man in the one scene .

i also just finished up Deadwood Season 2 and am closing my ears to anyone has has HBO, i cant wait to see this season thats going on right now.

• Finally saw 'Walk The Line', and loved it.
    Other recent acquisitions/viewings: Cisco Pike, Rashomon, A Hard Days Night, Unbreakable, also a four part UK documentary called Sounds of Underground London with chapters about Teddy Boys, Mods, Skinheads, and Northern Soul.

• MoSSMoSS 458 Posts
    Recently I've seen;

Which IMO was much better than "A Hole in My Heart". Moodysson's next film will be amazing!!!

Ils / THEM - I also managed to see "Ils" which opens in France this week and played at Cannes recently. It was pretty damn cool. Like a Shalyman (spelling!?) film meets Blair Witch with French Audio.

TYPHOON - Watched the Korean disaster of a film. It's pretty sad to see a South Korean film maker get a hollywood budget, only to make some typical hollywood mess. This was a really wack movie

RE CYCLE - Some Chinese / Hong Kong Horror that sucked balls. Apparently it played at Fantasia last week. Someone said it's like "hills have eyes", but I haven't seen that yet.

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    I really need some suggestions too. My queue is getting pretty stale.

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    Anyone have the skinny on Clerks II?

• i saw Cache` the other night. i've been wanting to check that director for a while and this was my first, interesting watch. Didn't blow me away, but i enjoyed it. i just got the Townes Van Zandt (Be Here To Love Me) that i am excited to see.

Cache...is that Michael Haeneke? Dood, watch "Funny Games", that shit will mess you up. Great film though.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts

TYPHOON - Watched the Korean disaster of a film. It's pretty sad to see a South Korean film maker get a hollywood budget, only to make some typical hollywood mess. This was a really wack movie

Just watched this the other day also.

Terd...

• gloomgloom 2,765 Posts

im leaving work early on friday to see this [/loser]

• puchitopuchito 374 Posts
    I want this one to be good, but there is potential for disaster.
    (I get the feeling that funniest parts of the movie are being shown on the commercial) The first one was funny ass!

isn't an aqua teen hunger force movie posed to come out?

i need more stupid shit inmy life ASAP

• gravelheadwrapgravelheadwrap corn 948 Posts
    I just saw "The Big White" with Robin Williams and Holly Hunter---reminded me of Fargo, not as good. Takes place in Alaska. It was pretty funny.

I just saw the movie Weekend for the very first time, that movie is fucked up!

• DrJoelDrJoel 932 Posts
    i saw Cache` the other night. i've been wanting to check that director for a while and this was my first, interesting watch. Didn't blow me away, but i enjoyed it. i just got the Townes Van Zandt (Be Here To Love Me) that i am excited to see.

Cache...is that Michael Haeneke? Dood, watch "Funny Games", that shit will mess you up. Great film though.

Yes, its his latest. i plan to work my way up to Funny Games. Body Code is next. The news story one looks very, very interesting although someone told me the ending already.

• DustbusterDustbuster 278 Posts
    Okay, I think Shymalan is a hack. And I really haven't liked anything that he's done. But I'll probably go see that "Lady in the Water" movie cause of those annoying commercials that somehow sucked me in. Anyone up on it yet?

• MjukisMjukis 1,675 Posts
    Recently I've seen;

Which IMO was much better than "A Hole in My Heart". Moodysson's next film will be amazing!!!

I've kind of given up on the guy, and Container was really butchered by Swedish critics, but maybe I should give it a try. Just saw Lady Vengeance - highly recommended, if you haven't seen it yet.

• CousinLarryCousinLarry 4,618 Posts
    i also just finished up Deadwood Season 2 and am closing my ears to anyone has has HBO, i cant wait to see this season thats going on right now.

I just finished the first season. What a great show. Glad to hear season 2 is also good.

• progbeatzprogbeatz 451 Posts
    Triplets of Bellview.

Don't ask,just rent it and watch it.Absolutely brilliant.

• DrJoelDrJoel 932 Posts
    i haven't gone in the Deadwood thread because i dont want to ruin anything but they are ending it after Season Three to make room for the new Milch HBO project.

Apparently the last two episodes are going to be 2 hours a piece? i know someone said this, don't know if it was here or elsewhere.

• CousinLarryCousinLarry 4,618 Posts
    i haven't gone in the Deadwood thread because i dont want to ruin anything but they are ending it after Season Three to make room for the new Milch HBO project.

Apparently the last two episodes are going to be 2 hours a piece? i know someone said this, don't know if it was here or elsewhere.

I heard this too, and I am glad. Sometimes these shows get stay on to long and its just the same old shit. A certain mob show is not really doing it for me anymore.

• Young_PhonicsYoung_Phonics 8,039 Posts
    I saw Little Man on Sunday night. It was whatever, I thought it would be funnier.

wah wah wah

• DrJoelDrJoel 932 Posts

I heard this too, and I am glad. Sometimes these shows get stay on to long and its just the same old shit. A certain mob show is not really doing it for me anymore.

i was concerned about them trying to cram 2 seasons worth of plotlines into one, but i guess it'll result in the trimming of a lot of fat. Those dvd extras are pretty nice, showing his writing and directing process a bit, plus the historical ones kinda make me appreciate the show a little more.

• bonzaisk8bonzaisk8 946 Posts

Dr. Strangelove

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    l'avventura

thing is, you should see this on a big screen...anyway, it's a great one.

monica vitti, please, let's get married already.

• Young_PhonicsYoung_Phonics 8,039 Posts
    l'avventura

MISS B UP IN THIS

• xyzlenexyzlene 37 Posts
    the death of the electric automobile

an inconvient truth

a scanner darkly

3 times

• gloomgloom 2,765 Posts

a scanner darkly

great fucking movie, has there been a thread about this yet? if no there needs to be i want to hear what people thought? especially if you've read the book.

• xyzlenexyzlene 37 Posts
    i read the novel as well as seeing the film.

richard linklater stated that the movie is a very accurate portrayal of the novel.

i cannot debate that statement. Of course there were parts missing here and there, but overall it was very concise.

rotorscoping is the shit so im biased... visually it's just mindblowing how much work was put into the film.

My biggest compliant.. Woody Harrelson... His acting was overkill.. we have all been babysitters at one point in our lives, but he takes it over the top. take out harrelson's poor acting and your close to a cult classic...

• hertzhoghertzhog 865 Posts
    l'avventura

No doubt. Antonioni has some images that will probably stay with me forever, i.e. the endings of L'avventura (not to mention the island scenes), Profession: Reporter, etc. I'm really glad I got to see them on a big screen.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    Funny shit on Clerks II

http://www.nypost.com/gossip/pagesix/pagesix_u.htm

And on Deadwood. Great show. All the seasons are fire. So far season 3 is crazy...

l'avventura

Easily in the top ten for me. Maybe five.