Friends that Don't Grow Up (NRR)

2»

Comments

• hogginthefogghogginthefogg 6,098 Posts
    It's all about the clothes. I can't stand looking at my 30-35 years old friends dressing like they were 15. Just adopt a quiet emo look and shut the fuck up. You are fat, your hairline is receding and you don't look as hot as you think.

I am NOT fat, you asshole.

But let's be clear: you don't look as hot as you think.

He wasn't very hot to begin with. I always seen Ross as someone with a "great personality and could cook really well".

You both sound assfat.

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts
    Just adopt a quiet emo look and shut the fuck up.

How about dressing like an adult rather than an emo dude? Just a thought...

I'd rather have my friends sporting the emo look, this way my Kraftwerk look stands up in the crowd.

• PonyPony 2,283 Posts
    Kraftwerk look

I want to see this!

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts
    At a class of '78 BBQ last sunday, marriage and a life in the cubicle never looked so bleak. These people turned into babyboomerscum just like their parents. I'm gonna stay immature untill I find a way around this.

marriage and life in a cubicle don't have to lead to this.

marriage is just another cubicle

• kitchenknightkitchenknight 4,922 Posts
    At a class of '78 BBQ last sunday, marriage and a life in the cubicle never looked so bleak. These people turned into babyboomerscum just like their parents. I'm gonna stay immature untill I find a way around this.

marriage is just another cubicle

nice one.

• ariel_calmerariel_calmer 3,762 Posts

marriage soulstrut[/b] is just another cubicle

• kitchenknightkitchenknight 4,922 Posts

marriage soulstrut[/b] is just another cubicle

now THAT is funny.

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    I still hang out with my friends in high school. We have all grown up, but I am glad we still have that 16 y.o. enthusiasm for music. Hanging out usually consists of beer drinking an talking/bullshitting and playing music for hours. I hope we never grow out of that aspect of our personas. Although it is funny for one of my friends to have to interupt our conversation on something like a Krautrock v. Tropicalia debate to field a phone call from his 14 y.o. daughter asking if she can go over to a friends house or solve some minor crisis at home...the little bit of reality thrown into our record nerd clubhouse...

• phono13phono13 842 Posts
    I've been feeling this transition over the last year or so. I'm turning 29 this week, and don't get me wrong, I like to have a good time, but I'd prefer to drink with a group of friends and not have someone crack their head open, thrash a place, or have to be taken care of. When someone is too drunk and/or too stupid, it kills my buzz. Time to pass along the ol' flabongo.

• DJFerrariDJFerrari 2,411 Posts
    a Krautrock v. Tropicalia debate

There's no debate... Tropicalia wins hands down

• aleitaleit 1,915 Posts
    sometimes you need to create that distance in order to keep an old friendship healthy or end a personal relationship to keep yourself healthy- yes, that is growing up.

but calculating where you are at should not dictate the love you feel for the members of your past. in other words, we are constantly passing through one another's lives, impacting their course- even if slightly. sometimes we think that we have grown further apart than we actually have...

this morning i lost a childhood friend who i've known from a time before i could even walk or formulate a coherent word. we kept in touch from time to time and i last saw him maybe 6 months ago- i last heard his voice on my answering machine 4 weeks back. the situation is different than the one described above, but i can't help but feel immense regret that i hadn't done a better job at keeping the friendship together for the past 8 years or so. i am not beating myself up but simply saying that i most likely thought i had grown further away from someone than i had in actuality. Outside of my immediate family, i can't think of any single person- let alone a peer- who i have more history with. When someone is gone forever, any analysis of the divergence between your life paths seems incredibly unimportant.

growing up is hard. no doubt. it can really hurt.

i try to remember that each tragedy or act of destruction is balanced by an act of beauty or creation. in 24 hours i learn that an old friend has passed on from this world and receive word that another is offering a new life.

i am sitting here listening to gospel music cleaning about 200 LPs carried back from a 3 week road trip across the west and southwest. i really have no idea what i should be doing right now that will make me feel any better but listening to gospel record after gospel record seems to be helping. I don't think i ever quite understood the music as well as i do today- these are both songs of mourning and hope.

sorry to digress/vent/demonstrate public catharsis

thanks for listening to me.
    peace.

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    hang in there Ari...

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    Ari.....condolences

Remember and celebrate the good times.

• BamboucheBambouche 1,484 Posts
    All my friends that refused to grow up ended up killing themselves.
    Now I regret walking away from them.

• aleitaleit 1,915 Posts

Remember and celebrate the good times.

thanks.

• ^Sorry to hear.

Im pretty much on par with dj arcadian.

I had some friends in this past weekend from highschool. Its crazy how much people can change. I left town to persue a career, and it seems the creative and funny people left behind gradually faded into the general human populace of clubgoing, drinking uncontrollably, and not having any real direction or interests in life at all. All they did was harsh on me for wanting to go to my good friends art opening, hitting the record store, not wanting to go to the club, and having to console my girlfriend (she was pissed because she thought they were bigot drunken frat types, which I could understand. They diddnt make a great first impression.)

Before they left they told me how much fun they had, and that they wanted to move here because theres so much more going on. In the back of my mind im thinking that this is what I got away from, and the last thing I want is for all that to follow me back. And I felt kind of offended that they refused to come visit for so many years and after they finally did I show them a good time they thought where I live now is the greatest place on earth, and they think they can just piggyback onto my life experience? If they did move I probably wouldnt hang out here that much.

This weekend another good friend from Highschool will be in town from the same group of friends, only this one is clean sober and has devoted his life to ragtime and harlem stride piano, likes collecting 78s and junk, and is one of the most sincere and hilarious people ive ever encountered. Hes the only other person that left town after high school and is welcome anytime in Chicago.

• LordNOLordNO 202 Posts
    I love kickin it with my old friends that never grew up. It's like being a kid again.

• NateBizzoNateBizzo 2,328 Posts
    Dudes. I just had a buddy who I've known since grade school show up in Burlington un-announced and crash at my house. Haven't spoke to him in almost 5 years. Thought he might be in jail or dead.

Guess why he was here? Phish/Trey/Phil Tour. This guy has been on tour since we were 15. I'm 27 now. Absolutly nothing has changed except his new 16 year old girl friend. No bullshit.

Super Nice kid, but still stuck in that unbelievable pathetic "passedoutwookies.com" lifestyle. I can't even believe he's still doing this shit.

One benefit of his stay was that he had a tank of nitrous in the trunk of his car. Needless to say I had a rough day at work the next day after turning my brain blue for a few hours.

Beat that.

• PonyPony 2,283 Posts
    I've been spending a lot more time with my old homies as of late (just broke up with a possessive GF), and it's been great, we've all matured nicely. Now instead of getting retardedly drunk at some watering hole, we just get a bottle of wine and play a few rounds of bocce at the beach.

• ariel_calmerariel_calmer 3,762 Posts
    Sorry to hear that ari.... damn...

I'm going to pick up the phone tonight and call a few high school / college friends I used to be tight with but lost touch.

• gambitgambit 906 Posts
    I only have a problem with my friends and family members around my age - especially those older than me - that can't seem to get their affairs together. The ones that can barely pay rent, when they have a steady job. The ones that will still allow their utilities to go off to buy a beat machine at age 33. That shit is fucked up. I cut folks that off my team, because they are bound to be a problem.

• khadirkhadir 38 Posts
    Whats up yall, I usually lurk but this tread got me thinking. I've lost 3 very close friends in the past 2 years, all of them were murdered. I would say if you're friend is fucking up let them know it, even if it means they will be pissed at you. One of my friends that got murdered started doing coke alot and I distanced myself from him without letting him know how I felt. I should've fronted on him at the very least but I just thought "he's a grown man so i can't tell him shit". Two months later he was murdered. Anyways just a thought that if these people mean something to you let them know they are fucking up(if they have any potential).Peace, Khadir.