Friends that Don't Grow Up (NRR)

yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
edited July 2006 in Strut Central
This subject was brought up a long time ago, but I wanted your opinions.Alright so here goes. I kicked it with these dudes yesterday and briefly summarizing, it was a dumbfuck with ADD and another dude who really has no substance and feels the need to pull shit out his ass when he's talking (apparently cuz there was a girl there). It was really bad, and after I came home I actually couldn't sleep cuz it was bothering me so much. In the end, i'm thinking "why the fuck do i even hang out with these lame dudes?". Oh yea, cuz i've known 'em for so long and they live in the area.These are the type of dudes that make jokes within themselves and when they play ball with the big boys or something, they'll shy away.Anybody feel me on this?

Comments

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    It's part of being a man, like growing up, that really sucks. No love lost but sometimes you just to move on. I've left many people behind just because I've grown and they have not. It's sad but my life is better for it.

• DjArcadianDjArcadian 3,630 Posts
    I used to have loads of friends like that. I moved out of my home town in part to get away from them. Most still live with their parents, drink too much, have no career or education goals, etc. They're on a road to nowhere. Still, you have to resist being bitter about it because you will always encounter people like this in your life. Just don't let them bring you down.

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    I'm terrified of growing up.

• It's part of being a man, like growing up, that really sucks. No love lost but sometimes you just to move on. I've left many people behind just because I've grown and they have not. It's sad but my life is better for it.

Exactamundo...

I was discussing this very subject with my wife yesterday, i.e. friends that I've parted ways with because they're still living inside the 1986 world in which our paths originally crossed.

• gloomgloom 2,765 Posts
    I'm terrified of growing up.

• kitchenknightkitchenknight 4,922 Posts
    It's part of being a man, like growing up, that really sucks. No love lost but sometimes you just to move on. I've left many people behind just because I've grown and they have not. It's sad but my life is better for it.

Amen. I love a lot of my college friends. But, its the ones who still want to be drunken Hemingway retreads that I've let go. It hurts sometimes, but don't look back until they look ahead.

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts
    I remember last year around this same time, we had this same discussion.

I left home in '99 mainly because I knew the majority of the people that grew up with and/or whom I considered good friends weren't going to do a damn thing with their lives.

Everytime I go back, dudes are doing the same shit. You still living w/ mommy? No employment? No money?? No life???

WTF!?!?

That's the main reason why I don't like to go home. Too many of my peoples are doing bad but it's their fault though.

Dudes need to grow up.

• high_chigh_c 1,384 Posts
    The town where I went to highschool is full of Woodersons. Dudes still go to the same pool hall and still hand out xeroxed flyers for house parties like it's still senior year - I'm serious... 30 yr olds handing out flyers for keggers.

That's why I was fine missing my highschool reunion; I can go to a reunion any night of the week I want. Same venue and same planned evening events: beer and pool, parking lot joint and bathroom bumps followed by a midnight fight. Sweet.

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    It's part of being a man, like growing up, that really sucks.

Absolutely true.

Another thing though, you could be broke but still be respectable. Come to think of it, I know some Jack-in-the-box graveyard shift peeps that are way more respectable than some of my local friends. What characterizes these dudes is, they're obviously living at home, they work at a japanese restaurant, buy Bape clothing or collects Dunks with their tips, listen to Thievery Corporation religiously, and think they got it made. They're a somewhat different breed than the type yall are describing but are just as annoying and front. I really do think it's time for me to start distancing myself....

• DJFerrariDJFerrari 2,411 Posts
    I feel ya... this is my life right now. I can't relate to my friends anymore because they still act like they're in college. We graduated in 2002. It sucks because they're my best friends for life, but they just haven't grown up at all like I feel I have. I try not to act superior around them, but it's tough. I'm hoping they'll catch up because I've had a shitty time trying to branch out of my circle.

I'm hoping they'll catch up because I've had a shitty time trying to branch out of my circle.

I really do think if they haven't gotten it by now they won't get it for the rest of their lives (unless something drastic happens and their enlightened). IMHO, being a grownup means keeping yourself in check. Really that's all there is to it.

oh by the way, thanks yall for listening and sharing your similar experiences.

• El PrezEl Prez NE Ohio 1,141 Posts
    friends that I've parted ways with because they're still living inside the 1986 world in which our paths originally crossed.

Imma use this exact qoute just insert a different year......

• DrJoelDrJoel 932 Posts
    The thing that kills me is that even with some of my best friends i can't sit down somewhere and have a meal that doesn't involve people acting up because they're in public. Sometimes i question if i'm just too serious and should loosen up and have fun, but calling attention to yourself by acting a fool in public just to get a rise out of strangers isn't really my idea of a good time.

i just want to sit and have a conversation with my friends and somehow it ends up in someone doing something random and dumb to entertain everyone. :iain't intothat:

• ariel_calmerariel_calmer 3,762 Posts
    It's part of being a man, like growing up, that really sucks.

Absolutely true.

Another thing though, you could be broke but still be respectable. Come to think of it, I know some Jack-in-the-box graveyard shift peeps that are way more respectable than some of my local friends. What characterizes these dudes is, they're obviously living at home, they work at a japanese restaurant, buy Bape clothing or collects Dunks with their tips, listen to Thievery Corporation religiously, and think they got it made. They're a somewhat different breed than the type yall are describing but are just as annoying and front. I really do think it's time for me to start distancing myself....

Yeah, money's got nothing to do with it. Don't feel bad distancing yourself... I mean keep up with your friends, but don't let them define how you live YOUR life, you know?

Dunno how to explain the "unchanging dude/ette" phenomena, except that people like familiarity more than they want to do something new. Who WANTS to keep treading over the same ground over and over??

I went to my 10 year high school reunion, and it was actually cool, because I realized I'm hella happy where I am, being with who I am with, and so on. I don't get these guys/ladies talking about high school like it was the only thing they've ever done worth talking about. A lot of bullshit, bad decisions, and smoking weed in the woods. It was fun, thanks for the memories (most of which are blurry), let's move on.

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts
    It's all about the clothes. I can't stand looking at my 30-35 years old friends dressing like they were 15. Just adopt a quiet emo look and shut the fuck up. You are fat, your hairline is receding and you don't look as hot as you think.

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts
    It's all about the clothes. I can't stand looking at my 30-35 years old friends dressing like they were 15.
    I'm not a big fan of my 25 year old friends doing this as well.

XXXXL white tees...

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    Just adopt a quiet emo look and shut the fuck up.

How about dressing like an adult rather than an emo dude? Just a thought...

• LamontLamont 1,089 Posts
    At a class of '78 BBQ last sunday, marriage and a life in the cubicle never looked so bleak. These people turned into babyboomerscum just like their parents. I'm gonna stay immature untill I find a way around this.

LOL

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts

haha! DJ Shadow...

marriage and a life in the cubicle never looked so bleak.

i guess you can't have everything. But this is the other end of the spectrum, where many adults just become super square.

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    At a class of '78 BBQ last sunday, marriage and a life in the cubicle never looked so bleak. These people turned into babyboomerscum just like their parents. I'm gonna stay immature untill I find a way around this.

That's how I kind of viewed things in college dreading the mini-van / cul de sac path that so many strived for. Then I met the right lady who landed me the right job and found us the right delipated old Victorian on the hill to fix up. It is possible to be a grown up and not be doomed to a life that resembles the movie Office Space.

• hogginthefogghogginthefogg 6,098 Posts
    It's all about the clothes. I can't stand looking at my 30-35 years old friends dressing like they were 15. Just adopt a quiet emo look and shut the fuck up. You are fat, your hairline is receding and you don't look as hot as you think.

I am NOT fat, you asshole.

• kitchenknightkitchenknight 4,922 Posts

marriage and life in a cubicle don't have to lead to this.

It is possible to be a grown up and not be doomed to the Office Space parody.

Most definitely, ideal.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

But let's be clear: you don't look as hot as you think.

• Young_PhonicsYoung_Phonics 8,039 Posts

But let's be clear: you don't look as hot as you think.

He wasn't very hot to begin with. I always seen Ross as someone with a "great personality and could cook really well".

• PonyPony 2,283 Posts
    I can't stand looking at my 30-35 years old friends dressing like they were 15.

Co-sigh-n. Still wearing skate shoes and sports apparel (anything with large logos), or just generally trying WAY too hard to look young and edgy. RELAX. Time to buy jeans that actually fit (trust me you'll look better!). I just feel for people that get bad tattoos and have to live with them till death, I witnessed some goof with an alien dressed like a homie tattoo ("skin art"), think 97ish raver. NAGL[/b]

But would you rather prefer Bape clothing and attitude?