Dilla - Samples Before The Dawn

wooshiewooshie 490 Posts
edited July 2006 in Strut Central

Beat that comes in at 1 minute 47 seconds.Any one know where i can get this? there's some frank and dank adlibs on it, sounds like the instrumental for a frank and dank joint, maybe.Samples Patrice Rushen's "Before the Dawn" - Kills it. How does he always get his string samples to sound so good? Why can't I hear the finger cymbals like i can in the original

Comments

• The track is from a 2000 Dilla b-side 12" called "Jaydee presents Fank N Dank" on Macnasty records: "Love" (a thing of the past).

For those who are dying to get that Patrice Rushen's "Before the Dawn" on wax: it's on Queslove's first "Babies making babies" compilation on BBE.

Enjoy diggin'...

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    That video is dope.

• canonicalcanonical 2,100 Posts
    That video is dope.
    Really? I thought it was annoying, uninformative, and a waste of 5 minutes. I don't need to hear about clubs or have it repeated that the studio was in Dillas basement.

And you didn't even get to see jay dee produce anything.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    I've never seen the inside of his studio. Now I have.

• canonicalcanonical 2,100 Posts
    I've never seen the inside of his studio. Now I have.
    Ah, and I guess in it's most natural state, too.

• gambitgambit 906 Posts
    That video is dope.
    Really? I thought it was annoying, uninformative, and a waste of 5 minutes. I don't need to hear about clubs or have it repeated that the studio was in Dillas basement.

I wouldn't feel anyone would really care or be that interested, unless you're a really big fan of Dilla, actually from Detroit [so you could understand them clowning old dudes still jittin'] or a studio geek.
    I dug it, because it's amazing to see such a place in the Metro Detroit area. I myself would have liked to hear more work come out of that studio before he moved to Cali.

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    That video is dope.

I wouldn't feel anyone would really care or be that interested, unless you're a really big fan of Dilla, actually from Detroit [so you could understand them clowning old dudes still jittin'] or a studio geek.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    For those who are dying to get that Patrice Rushen's "Before the Dawn" on wax: it's on Queslove's first "Babies making babies" compilation on BBE.

Enjoy diggin'...

The o.g. isn't all that scarce, and the re-ish should be very easy to find. Same album also features "Kickin' Back" and "What's The Story".

• wooshiewooshie 490 Posts
    Yeah, thanks for the info on the 12" - I'll find a copy.

The video - nothing really happens, but it is nice to seem in his natural surroundings, seems like he was a super quiet dude and I like that Frank N Dank get excited over everything.

• reskresk 391 Posts
    if your looking for a love is the thing of the past 12", let me know cause i have a triple thats still sealed

• wooshiewooshie 490 Posts
    Thanks Resk, Hit you up on the PM