Top 5 summer 45's

parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
edited July 2006 in Strut Central
What are you rockin this summer? Jodi Gales - you gotta push on Savern , fonky!The Festivals - so in love on Colossus, nice soul recommendation from DrewnSly Slick and Wicked - confessin a feelin on Bad Boys, gives me goosebumps everytimeHelene Smith - sure thing on Deep City, must have listened to this a hundred times in the past few monthsJo Ann Garrett - one woman on Duo, pure perfection...

Comments

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts

• high_chigh_c 1,384 Posts
    is that you gotta space? my copy of that record looks blingo but has some weird pressing defect skip on it. I look and see no skip but the damn thing skips.

In other skipping news (N45R) my newest (and blingest) copy of Ege Bam Yasi DOES skip in the same place as my last and semi-beat copy. I believe the conpiracy theory now.

uh... 45s? they don't exist anymore. I can't find any. not in texas. so I don't have any to list. sad 'cause I really do love the little dudes *sniff*

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts
    In other skipping news (N45R) my newest (and blingest) copy of Ege Bam Yasi DOES skip in the same place as my last and semi-beat copy. I believe the conpiracy theory now.

Isn't the skip a pressing defect??

(sorry to further derail your thread, J).

• high_chigh_c 1,384 Posts
    right... I just thought that was something Sketch made up to make himself feel better about his skipping copy hence the conspiracy. My old copy skipped in various place 'cause it was semi skated so I couldn't confirm. But my shiny latest copy confirms it. defecto.

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts
    right... I just thought that was something Sketch made up to make himself feel better about his skipping copy hence the conspiracy.
    I found out about the infamous skip from one of his posts.

• Trinikas- Black Is Beautiful/Remember Me
    Darrow Fletcher - My Young Misery
    Iron Knowledge - Oh Love
    The Cheers - Take Me To Paradise/I Made Up My Mind
    The Summits - It Takes Two/Let Me Love You Again
    Bonus 45: Vicki Baines - Sweeter Than Sweet Things

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    bitty mclean - walk away from love
    mirettes - whirlpool
    sweet and innocent - express your love (yea aleit!!!!)
    michael ranglin - treasure rock
    big star - don't lie to me

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    bitty mclean - walk away from love
    mirettes - whirlpool (killer stuff!)
    sweet and innocent - express your love (yea aleit!!!!) (I want this in a bad way!)
    michael ranglin - treasure rock
    big star - don't lie to me

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts

Francine Carr "papas new bag aint nothin' but a hag"

Betty Everett "Youre No Good" white whale that was hit, so there is no reason it should have taken me this long to find one in field

Brown Brothers of Soul "Cholo" thanks sonic reducer!

Os Brazoes "Gotham City" plays at 33rpm, but its a seven incher!

Wanderly Cardoso "sim...a dehor" ridiculously cool funky brazilian pop

• beatstew72beatstew72 314 Posts
    IT'S ALL OVER...pearl dowell...SAADIA (flip of GOOD THING)
    GHETTO BOOGIE...ellen jackson & big star band...BIG STAR
    I CAN'T QUIT YOU BABY...otis rush & willie dixon band...COBRA RECORDS (blues baby)

well...three

• pj4533pj4533 481 Posts
    hmmm my top 45s this summer....depends on the mood of course, but a good sampling:

Veda - Got To Get Up To Get Down (MW Records)[/b]
    Caught this in one of the bigger trades I have done.

Clarence Mann - Sadity Lady (Flowers)[/b]
    Picked 3 records on 'Flowers' from Good, this is the best.

Leo - Fee Fi Foe Fum (Capitol J)[/b]
    First heard it on an Ebay auction, this is some crazy shit. Sounds like a SwissBeats song, very low-fi & synthy. I dig it.

Ellis and Cephas - I'm Gonna Miss You Girl (Vons)[/b]
    Every top five needs at least 1 Picture sleeve.

Larry Mcgee Revolution - The Burg (Boogie Band)[/b]
    This is my semi-raer go-to song. For when I need to move the crowd, but I don't wanna (or already have) dropped the easypeasy mainstream funk/soul/disco.

BONUS: Marc Aryan - Liberte (Markal)[/b]
    This is like 2 songs in one. Always gets people dancing too. AND its another picture sleeve!

-peeJ

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    Electric Express--Can't Believe We Did the Whole Thing

Lionel Hampton--Chameleon

East Coast Connection--Summer in the Park 1&2

Irma Thomas--You Can Have my Husband, but please don't mess with my man. (forgot the actual title)

Ironleg has been back in heavy rotation since I got doubles. Always thought it was too short, but now i can stretch her out for hours.

• HawkeyeHawkeye 896 Posts
    These are some nice 45s from a very small and obscure lable. I found out that they only did around 6 releases and I found these two ones which are brilliant.

I'll rock them a lot on club dates

Shame on me, but I'll play this tune too on my dates cause ladys love to dance to it.

This is a dope funk tune which hits you instantly after hearing the first 2 seconds

Nice dutch funk

Peace
    Hawkeye

• HawkeyeHawkeye 896 Posts
    Sorry but I got 5 more joints to make a club night complete

Great german 45 breaks from Walter Kubiczecks in demand soundtrack "Das Unsichtbare Visier"

Later at night I like to rock some electro tunes too, this is a obscure german rapping electro tune with hilarious fake scratches made up by someone who was never a DJ in his live, but he was still better than Moe Love or Eric B !!!!!

These little 45 nuggets I found are for the last guests who are so fucking drunk that it doesnt matter what you play, they will dance too it. Mr.Carpenter did very dope stuff !!

Peace
    Hawkeye

• Lorraine Ellison - Call me Anytime You Need Some Loving (mercury)
    Baby Washington - Breakfast In Bed (Cotillion)
    Jeanne & The Darlings - Soul Girl (Volt)
    Fred Hughes - Ooo Wee Baby I Love You (Veejay)
    Four Larks - Groovin At The Go Go (Tower)

• troublemantroubleman 1,928 Posts
    Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

brothers of soul -- you better believe it baby (boo)
    lady margaret & perry smith -- out in space/trippin with you (gemeni records)
    the cosmic rays -- dreamin (saturn)
    moondog -- dragons teeth/voices of spring/the frog/be a hobo (epic)
    watts little angel band -- new orleans/land of 1000 dances (cotillion)
    joann zachery -- down to earth (zach's)

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

brothers of soul -- you better believe it baby (boo)
    lady margaret & perry smith -- out in space/trippin with you (gemeni records)
    the cosmic rays -- dreamin (saturn)
    moondog -- dragons teeth/voices of spring/the frog/be a hobo (epic)
    watts little angel band -- new orleans/land of 1000 dances (cotillion)
    joann zachery -- down to earth (zach's)

Plaese to send the Joanne Zachery to Memphis Plaese...

crazy, didnt know that moondog was on 45, I have a 10" of it

thats a different color label than I have seen on that Cosmic Rays jernt...I have only seen the dark red/burgandy label....

• troublemantroubleman 1,928 Posts

thats a different color label than I have seen on that Cosmic Rays jernt...I have only seen the dark red/burgandy label....

I'm sure it's a repress. Still an amazing 45. Not a bad $1.00 spent.

• johnshadejohnshade 577 Posts
    peace and love - "we got the power/latin feeling" (raff)
    mel and tim - "i found that i was wrong/good guys only win in the movies" (bamboo)
    jean plum - "here i go again/mono" (hi)
    precisions - "if this is love (i'd rather be lonely)/you'll soon be gone" (drew)
    little beaver - "listen to my heartbeat/we three" (cat)

• down_beatdown_beat 57 Posts
    Those John Carpenter sleeves are cool.

Veda - Got To Get Up To Get Down (MW Records)[/b]
    Very nice, wanted...

Larry Mcgee Revolution - The Burg (Boogie Band)[/b]
    This is massive. Is there a better record to play out loud when drunk and girl's are showing off their assets?

Iron Knowledge - Oh Love
    Oh yes. So so nice Aleit.

It's been a very nice, hot summer here in London. May it stay that way:

Quest / Boy scouts (Silver Lining)[/b]
    Class A disco.

Ice Cold Love / Wonderful to be loved (Tammy)[/b]
    Down beat-ballad, from the the opening piano chimes to the crisp drumming to the strings to the group falsetto chorus. A serious record.

Essence / Third Rock (WGBH)[/b]
    Pure Essence's other release, almost as good. Class A disco II.

Cold Four / Low ridden / Love and care(Drells)[/b]
    Shimmering, ice-cream northern soul with a slow, happy "tighten up"-ish flip. What more could you want in summer?

And Songs:Ohia[/b] with the breeze going thru my loungeroom.

• Options
    Believe Oscar and his band are originally fromt he Caribbean. There's a couple on Wirl and Trex that predate his Dutch stuff.

K.

• leolyxxxleolyxxx 446 Posts
    Mandisa "summer love" (El-Leo)
    Limmie "saturday night's the night" (UK Psycho)
    Reggie S "do you still love me?" (O-City)
    Randy Barracuda "rick james is dead" (Flogsta) Not 100% supergood but i like it anyway, also Pertu who is behind it is one of the coolest guys ever so i have to rep this
    Percy & Them "shake it!" (Tantus)

/L

• MrSeanMrSean 57 Posts

Brand New 'Thousand Years' (Du-Vern) Gets repeated plays at this time of year.....plus 4 other random things that are filed nearby.

• leolyxxxleolyxxx 446 Posts

Brand New 'Thousand Years' (Du-Vern) Gets repeated plays at this time of year.....plus 4 other random things that are filed nearby.

Man this track is soooo good, been searching for a copy for like 5 years now but as usual a tough one when you don't want to pay uk-going rate..

Also i got a copy of Saturn Symphony Orchestra yesterday that i have been playing from a bad mp3 a lot so it was nice to have it one minty vinyl

/L