WIRELESS ROUTER HELP (So very NRR)

GnatGnat 1,183 Posts
edited July 2006 in Strut Central
After at least 24 hours of actual labor and phone calls (I have friends in Southern India) I need some help with my LinkSys WRT54G v.6 wireless router. I can't make heads or tales of it and Linksys is no help. Please, will a tech person help a brother out? The problem is this:So all other computers in the house access the internet with the WRT54Gv.6 just fine (ironically enough, these computers are Macintosh), but my laptop that runs Windows XP takes FOREVER to gain access to the router and the internet: @ lease five or so minutes from having booted up the desk-top.During the first 5 minutes, when I attempt to get onto an internet page with a browser on this Windows computer, the page will initially time-out. Other computers will be able to access the net just fine though. To further confuse matters, the computer will indicate that it is receiving signal from my router. I have called linksys about this but no solution has worked. One even recommended that I be more patient. I personally think that 5 minutes is TOO long to wait each time you start up the computer to access the internet, expecially when all other computers CAN access the net.Things to note:*I also notice that when I restart with the "problem" computer, the router restarts itself as well while this does not occur with any other computer. *I have updated to the latest official firmware.*I have configured static IPs and settings in the TCIP tabs for all computers and have forgone "detect settings automatically" and this seems to lessen the wait time.*I think the restarting router is the main problem @ this point.Thanks, gNAT

Comments

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    how old is this router? if you still can, return that shit. doesn't seem like it's worth the headache you are going through

• GnatGnat 1,183 Posts
    how old is this router? if you still can, return that shit. doesn't seem like it's worth the headache you are going through
    2 days. That's the next step. But I figure this builds character....let me check...

no, no character--I'm just a moron with a shitty-ass router. I do know a shitload more about WiFi connections though.

Yeah.

gNAT

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    is the pc laptop and the router plugged into the same power outlet?

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,890 Posts
    What type of encryption are you using and what type of wireless card are you trying to connect to the access point? Some of the older wireless cards do not support the newer encryption types like WPA. You might try upgrading the wireless card drivers and also check to see if it supports the type of encryption you are doing.

• GnatGnat 1,183 Posts
    WEP 128 HEX, the card is a standard factory Intel inside a Sony Vaio (purchased one year ago)...this should support. A security mismatch would result in no connection.

~Nat

• ariel_calmerariel_calmer 3,762 Posts
    No chance there's a G vs. B mismatch? (different wireless standards...)

• GnatGnat 1,183 Posts
    nope. router is g/b and so are all wireless cards.

• pacmanpacman 1,114 Posts
    Oof....had severe issues with one of these today.

No ethernet cables plugged in except for my laptop straight to it and couldn't log in through 192.168.1.1.

An hour later with tech support and resetting the junk about 10 times, still nothing.

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,896 Posts
    1) Set the XP machine to get it's IP address through DHCP. Don't give it a fixed address. Do this by going to your Local Area network connection icon (the wireless card one), properties, find TCP/IP, properties button, General tab, get address automatically, get DNS automatically.

If you want it to get a specific address from the router, then tell the router to always give the [mac address of this vaio eg: 00:0e:93:a3:ed:a0] the same IP address, like 192.168.0/1.whatever. Some routers hang after making these changes. May need a bounce (power off/on).

Then for ie or whatever browser the viao uses, have nothing set in Tools, Internet Options, Connections tab, LAN settings button, have nothing ticked.

HTH