SF HYPHY myth?

francislaifrancislai 371 Posts
edited July 2006 in Strut Central
does the san franciscan "hyphy" sound actually exist? or is it just a new name for an already widely popular hip hop trend?checking out some other sf slang leads me to believe that hyphy could be just a san francisco state of mind, or even a "sniglet" and not a new style of music. please school me. i've heard a couple tunes that were described to me as HYPHY and shit sounded like clear channel hip hop radio programming. wikipedia says that the "rawness" is supposed to set it aside from standard southern crunk. i'm really not trying to get my hip hop education from wikipedia though. anyone care to school me here?

Comments

• pookeyblowpookeyblow 406 Posts
    I thought HYPHY was a killer private press disco lp out of SF?

no, fo real..

THIS IS HYPHY:

• street_muzikstreet_muzik 3,919 Posts
    Hyphy is the youth doing what they been doing for ever. Just new words and the youth takin it ti the next level.

I used to live in the bay (Oaklanf, Berkley, SF) but pre "Hyphy" From my experience, hyphy seems like it would be more of an E Bay thing. Am I wrong?

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Hyphy is the youth doing what they been doing for ever. Just new words and the youth takin it ti the next level.

I used to live in the bay (Oaklanf, Berkley, SF) but pre "Hyphy" From my experience, hyphy seems like it would be more of an E Bay thing. Am I wrong?

According to E-40, Hyphy = oakland and not S.F.

http://www.sohh.com/articles/article.php/9343

"The hyphy movement started in Oakland for one," E-40 told to SOHH.com. "So can't nobody from San Francisco be talking about that. I love Frisco, that ain't got nothing to do with the city of Frisco."

It jus got that Oakland flavor, baby. BIGGUP THA O !!!!

• francislaifrancislai 371 Posts
    i guess it is a sniglet then.

seems like the style doesn't really carry any weight other than new producers working within a pre-existing medium making very very very subtle changes that "can't nobody" outside of oakland even be talking about.

that said i would love someone to post an audio example of the definitive "hyphy" beat would sound like.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    I believe the drugstores of the East Bay started bundling Ecstasy for free with the purchase of one or more packs of Swishers and Hyphy was the natural result.

I believe the drugstores of the East Bay started bundling Ecstasy for free with the purchase of one or more packs of Swishers and Hyphy was the natural result.

seems like the style doesn't really carry any weight other than new producers working within a pre-existing medium making very very very subtle changes that "can't nobody" outside of oakland even be talking about.

YOU MEAN HIP-HOP? THAT'S THE SOUNDTRACK TO THE HYPHIE NATION!!!!! MAYNE!!!!!

GET FAMILIAR

• JazzsuckaJazzsucka 720 Posts
    Someone post audio of Federation's "I only wear my white T once" or Kinsmoke's "Do the On One", please. I'd like to know where they make beats like that in other parts of the world.

• francislaifrancislai 371 Posts

YOU MEAN HIP-HOP? THAT'S THE SOUNDTRACK TO THE HYPHIE NATION!!!!! MAYNE!!!!!

GET FAMILIAR

thanks for the clip dude.

• rkwparkrkwpark 915 Posts
    i dont know if its hyphy but the wolfpack got the 'vans' 12inch now, they got picked up by a label, thank you myspace.

shit, i never owned vans but i did rock the airwalk 'vans lookalikes' in my youth.