steve nash

2»

Comments

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    I need me a nash jersey..and I dont even wear them anymore.

Please dont jump on this guys jock so quick. At least wait until he gets to
    the championship round.

NEW FANS OF:

Dwayne Wade
    Steve Nash
    Amare Stoudamire

• PEKPEK 735 Posts
    I pretty much agree with everything you're saying here, Batmon. But A.I. goes crazy against everybody, even Detroit (did you see his numbers in the playoffs? straight scary). What he doesn't do is put his teammates in position to help him out like Nash does with Phoenix. Yeah, the Suns are loaded with talent, no question. But the Sixers have a lot of young talent, too. It's just that playing with Iverson it's hard to see just how good some of these dudes are because Allen dominates the ball so much! You put him on the Suns and if he plays the way he plays in Philly I don't think that team challenges for the title, I don't care how talented they may look on paper. I love Iverson, believe me- pound for pound he's one of the most talented dudes to ever play the game. But there's a way to play if you want to win championships, and Iverson just doesn't play the right way. It is what it is.
    As a GU alum, I'd readily concur w/ Phil here - you gotta love AI's heart and desire to win... BUT here's the thing - he's a 2 guard (mentality) in a 1 body - even w/ the Hoyas, the rest of the team would just stand around and watch Allen do his thang - yes, it was the last highlight of Thompson senior's coaching career, but it pretty much stunted the growth of Othella Harrington, who was a highly regarded high school prospect coming out of Mississippi; teams win, individuals don't (MJ w/ a subpar Bulls team the first couple of seasons versus the squad he had later on w/ Pippen et al) and the problem w/ AI is that he needs to score to be productive given his tendencies - when he passes, he's going against type and it isn't as fluid as when a PURE PG does so... Will he win games for you? Occasionally... But mostly only through his own shot as opposed to gettin' the ball inside or to the wings...

I pretty much agree with everything you're saying here, Batmon. But A.I. goes crazy against everybody, even Detroit (did you see his numbers in the playoffs? straight scary). What he doesn't do is put his teammates in position to help him out like Nash does with Phoenix. Yeah, the Suns are loaded with talent, no question. But the Sixers have a lot of young talent, too. It's just that playing with Iverson it's hard to see just how good some of these dudes are because Allen dominates the ball so much! You put him on the Suns and if he plays the way he plays in Philly I don't think that team challenges for the title, I don't care how talented they may look on paper. I love Iverson, believe me- pound for pound he's one of the most talented dudes to ever play the game. But there's a way to play if you want to win championships, and Iverson just doesn't play the right way. It is what it is.
    As a GU alum, I'd readily concur w/ Phil here - you gotta love AI's heart and desire to win... BUT here's the thing - he's a 2 guard (mentality) in a 1 body - even w/ the Hoyas, the rest of the team would just stand around and watch Allen do his thang - yes, it was the last highlight of Thompson senior's coaching career, but it pretty much stunted the growth of Othella Harrington, who was a highly regarded high school prospect coming out of Mississippi; teams win, individuals don't (MJ w/ a subpar Bulls team the first couple of seasons versus the squad he had later on w/ Pippen et al) and the problem w/ AI is that he needs to score to be productive given his tendencies - when he passes, he's going against type and it isn't as fluid as when a PURE PG does so... Will he win games for you? Occasionally... But mostly only through his own shot as opposed to gettin' the ball inside or to the wings...
    The Answer won the MVP playing his way. The AI Fans wanting him to play like
    Nash have only to look at the team and coach around him.
    AI's championship round team is far superior to this years team.

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts

• PEKPEK 735 Posts

The Answer won the MVP playing his way. The AI Fans wanting him to play like

Nash have only to look at the team and coach around him.

No doubt, but MVP isn't synonymous w/ championships - not saying that Nash will win it this year (or any other year), but Chauncy Billups (who doesn't have the game that Iverson possesses) has his name on a championship plaque and AI doesn't - in the end, that's how you're judged in pro sports though - will he be in the pantheon of the '50 greatest players of all time' - likely, but like fellow Hoya alum Alonzo Mourning (who spurned both the Nets and Raptors this year to try and collect some championship hardware w/ the Heat), I kinda suspect that AI wants a championship ring when it's all said and done to cement his legacy...

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    ya gotta like him if you are a fan of the underdog...a short, white, Canadian?..dude beat the odds...I am a fan.

Nash is far from an underdog, plus short white guys are not new to
    the league.......................John Stockton.

yeah, but is Stockton Candadian?(joke y'all) maybe he is, fuck if I know, but I will take Nash over Stockton any day...all even though Stockton was deadly with a three pointer, he isnt the player Nash is.

I said it once and I will say it again...Mark Cuban is a fucking retard, just shows you it takes more than $$$ to be a successful owner.

• Phill_MostPhill_Most 4,594 Posts

Who did the Sixers team that went to the finals really have that was so great other than A.I.? Eric Snow?? Aaron McKie? George Lynch? Maybe you could say Mutumbo, but really... Dikembe was already past his prime by the time Philly got him and really wasn't that much of a factor with that team. That team got to the finals because of Larry Brown's coaching and a team mentality that focused on tenacious D and overacheivement, not because of talent. The Sixers right now actually have a lot of athletic talent- Andre Iguodala can be a MONSTER in this league in a few years, and Willie Green is a baller, too. But both of them suffer because they play on the same team as Iverson and don't get nearly enough touches (in Green's case he can't even get on the court because of A.I., which is a crime). Sam Daelembert is getting better and better. Kyle Korver is another talent that just needs time to develop (admittedly he's a liability on defense, though).
    But none of these dudes are gonna reach their potential standing around in a halfcourt game watching Iverson breaking his man down for the majority of the 24 second clock. I'm gonna stop now because I could write a book on this subject!!!
    Regardless, I still love watching my man Bubbachuck (Iverson) do his thing- to be barely 6 feet tall and do the things he can do with a basketball is really amazing. It won't get him a ring, but it's still incredible to see.

• I need me a nash jersey..and I dont even wear them anymore.

Please dont jump on this guys jock so quick. At least wait until he gets to
    the championship round.

NEW FANS OF:

Dwayne Wade
    Steve Nash
    Amare Stoudamire

I aint jumping on anyones jock. I have liked dude for years. I am just loving his game right about now.

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    ya gotta like him if you are a fan of the underdog...a short, white, Canadian?..dude beat the odds...I am a fan.

co-sign. he's humble too. he is far from dominant. but he is capable of making his team dominant.

Stockton was also one of my favorite all-time players. He epitomized what a professional athelete should strive for.

• Options
    I need me a nash jersey..and I dont even wear them anymore.

Who did the Sixers team that went to the finals really have that was so great other than A.I.? Eric Snow?? Aaron McKie? George Lynch? Maybe you could say Mutumbo, but really... Dikembe was already past his prime by the time Philly got him and really wasn't that much of a factor with that team. That team got to the finals because of Larry Brown's coaching and a team mentality that focused on tenacious D and overacheivement, not because of talent. The Sixers right now actually have a lot of athletic talent- Andre Iguodala can be a MONSTER in this league in a few years, and Willie Green is a baller, too. But both of them suffer because they play on the same team as Iverson and don't get nearly enough touches (in Green's case he can't even get on the court because of A.I., which is a crime). Sam Daelembert is getting better and better. Kyle Korver is another talent that just needs time to develop (admittedly he's a liability on defense, though).
    But none of these dudes are gonna reach their potential standing around in a halfcourt game watching Iverson breaking his man down for the majority of the 24 second clock. I'm gonna stop now because I could write a book on this subject!!!
    Regardless, I still love watching my man Bubbachuck (Iverson) do his thing- to be barely 6 feet tall and do the things he can do with a basketball is really amazing. It won't get him a ring, but it's still incredible to see.

Thats the year Larry Brown shifted AI to off guard letting eric snow run
    the point. This made the iverson-focus offense run smoother.I dont want to hear about "coulda shoulda woulda" with this year's team. No Playoffs= Fuck them!
    The Larry Brown team went to the finals and this team didnt. Its simple logic.
    The players around THE TRUTH on that finals team understood their roles thanks
    to Brown.

• faded_gloryfaded_glory 421 Posts

P.S. Mark Cuban is a fucking moron

before we all go too crazy here let's remember that the prevailing sentiment around the league was that the suns massively overpaid for a 31-year old player. what it comes down to is great prescience on the part of the colangelos (who run one of the best and most underappreciated front offices in the league - drafted marion 20th, stoudemire 12th, and stole joe johnson), but you really can't blame cuban for balking at a deal of that length for a guy at his age who already had a reputation for wearing himself out by the time the playoffs came around. you CAN blame cuban for giving erick dampier a ludicrous deal considering his age and injury history instead. i strongly believe that nash's success has everything to do with an extremely well-built and -coached team - that system is perfect for him and it helps that he has one of the most dominant low post scorers in the game. what we're seeing with this suns team is a lot of risks paying off. stoudemire was a huge gamble; playing him at the 5 and marion at the 4 was another gamble that worked; blowing the entire team up to get under the cap and starting over just last year was the biggest of them all. i still don't think they can beat the spurs though.

• i still don't think they can beat the spurs though.

let us all pray

• LazerLazer 796 Posts

Thanks Mr. Stark!!!

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    The Suns have their work cut out for them.

They need to get Marion fired up in some way or form.

Nash can not guard Parker.

They can not give Barry and Horry that many points.

The Suns are very much lacking in experience.

DAMN, the Spurs look solid.

I want the Suns to win.

• ughh..NOT THE SPURS