tokyo spots

magpiemagpie 160 Posts
edited July 2006 in Strut Central
going to tokyo next month for 5 days during Obon...staying in asukasa near Ueno station...plaese to hip me to some record spots, good eats, and outdoor shopping...thanks

Comments

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    going to tokyo next month for 5 days during Obon...
    staying in asukasa near Ueno station...
    plaese to hip me to some record spots, good eats,
    and outdoor shopping...thanks

Go to Savage! And Still Diggin' records. Say what's up to the hommies Muro and Viblam. Hit every Disk Union location you can find.

What do you want to eat? 5 days is not a lot of time due to the HUGE amount of great restaurants in Tokyo.

You need to talk to Sheep about the record spots. That foll knows the deal with Tokyo record stores.

• djsheepdjsheep 3,620 Posts
    Ueno --- dope for shoes. 1 record store near the toy shop. A few treats there

Do what chan said Shibuya -- disk union, savage!, still diggin' and hit up Spice Records too..

If you have time, I'll give you some areas to hit. Hit me on the PM.

peace.

• magpiemagpie 160 Posts
    any help with actual directions would be huge...spent the whole humid day walking around finding just about squat...landmarks would be much appreciated

take the JR yamanote line to Shibuya

exit at the Hachiko exit

walk in between the HMV signs.

the area there is where all the stores are at. keep your eyes peeled.

the 4 blocks vertical and horizontal and all the alleys, there are literally 100s of stores. you can't miss it.

if worse comes to worse, just walk up to someone with a record bag and say "recordo wa doko desuka?"

peace.

• magpiemagpie 160 Posts
    thanks!!!!

• AserAser 2,351 Posts

http://city.superfuture.com/city/area/area.cfm?area=4&city=1

cluster of baby blue "M" signs, stores are all there. A lot of the big chains will have multiple locations (different genres), especially Cisco.

thanks!!!!

here are some directions to get to disk union, manhattan records + my hommies shop -- STILL DIGGIN'. if you go to still diggin', tell VIBLAM aka SHINGO that DJ Sheep said what's up --

so get out the "hachiko" exit on the JR line, walk between the screens and go past HMV, take your first right after that, then your first left... walk down the street, you will see DISK UNION (downstairs is jazz/rare groove, upstairs is hip-hop) -- across from Disk union will be the koban (police box), follow the street up the right of the Koban, you will see Tokyu Hands on your right, and DMR records on your left... keep walking.... a little down you will see the big blue MANHATTAN RECORDS store on your right (blue sign)... to the left of manhattan records there is an alley, walk down it and up the rusty stair case on the right till u reach STILL DIGGIN' on the 2nd or 3rd floor...

peace.

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    thanks!!!!

here are some directions to get to disk union, manhattan records + my hommies shop -- STILL DIGGIN'. if you go to still diggin', tell VIBLAM aka SHINGO that DJ Sheep said what's up --

so get out the "hachiko" exit on the JR line, walk between the screens and go past HMV, take your first right after that, then your first left... walk down the street, you will see DISK UNION (downstairs is jazz/rare groove, upstairs is hip-hop) -- across from Disk union will be the koban (police box), follow the street up the right of the Koban, you will see Tokyu Hands on your left, and DMR records on your right... a little down you will see the big blue MANHATTAN RECORDS sign... to the left of manhattan records there is an alley, walk down it and up the rusty stair case on the right till u reach STILL DIGGIN' on the 2nd or 3rd floor...

peace.

Holy shit man, you are too good.

"there is an alley, walk down it and up the rusty stair case on the right till u reach STILL DIGGIN' on the 2nd or 3rd floor..."

DAMN!

• also, if you go to SAVAGE in the same building is SOUNDS OF BLACKNESS. you should hit them up because they are closing shop after 15+ years in business. i was in there 2 days ago.
    peace, stein. . .

also, if you go to SAVAGE in the same building is SOUNDS OF BLACKNESS. you should hit them up because they are closing shop after 15+ years in business. i was in there 2 days ago.
    peace, stein. . .

DAMN! Sounds Of Blackness had the MAD selection of shit... always pretty decent prices too. Were they having a sale Stein?? I might have to fly out there and fill my entire wants lists!

If you wanna find "Sounds Of Blackness" just look for Wendy's burger joint in Shibuya, it's towards the end of that area I mentioned. SAVAGE (muro's store) and S.O.B -- to get there. walk inside wednys then walk out of wendy's, turn left, take your first right into the first street (family mart is on the corner). There is a BLACK FLYS store on your right, right next to that on the left is a stair case up to a building. Savage on 1F. S.O.B. on 2F.

peace.

Holy shit man, you are too good.

"there is an alley, walk down it and up the rusty stair case on the right till u reach STILL DIGGIN' on the 2nd or 3rd floor..."

DAMN!

SHIT! I just realized my directions were a little off, i said left when I meant right.... lol. I just edited it...

rusty staircases always guarantee that rill shit on the shelves son!!

peace.

• also, if you go to SAVAGE in the same building is SOUNDS OF BLACKNESS. you should hit them up because they are closing shop after 15+ years in business. i was in there 2 days ago.
    peace, stein. . .

DAMN! Sounds Of Blackness had the MAD selection of shit... always pretty decent prices too. Were they having a sale Stein?? I might have to fly out there and fill my entire wants lists!

If you wanna find "Sounds Of Blackness" just look for Wendy's burger joint in Shibuya, it's towards the end of that area I mentioned. SAVAGE (muro's store) and S.O.B -- to get there. walk inside wednys then walk out of wendy's, turn left, take your first right into the first street (family mart is on the corner). There is a BLACK FLYS store on your right, right next to that on the left is a stair case up to a building. Savage on 1F. S.O.B. on 2F.

peace.
    naw bev, no super sale or anything. they said they were going to switch to all online store.
    peace, stein. . .

• MondeyanoMondeyano Reykjavik 863 Posts
    Sheep knows what's up with them record shops and really haven't got much to add. If you'd be in town longer getting the Record Map book w/maps to thousands of shops would be ideal but not sure if it's worth it since you're there for such a short time.

For good eatings you have to check out Ichiran ramen (Map to the Shibuya shop). Best ramen in town hands down IMO. Suggest printing out the page with the map and ask someone for directions when you're close to Shibuya station since it's in Japanese.

Then checking out a ninja themed restaurant wouldn't be out of order if you're willing to splurge a little ($60~). (Ninja Akasaka website). This place is crazy. Me and my friend went there and it was a blast. The decor is mad (like a village built into a cave) and all the waitors wear ninja outfits and greet you ninja-style and shit. It sounds a little corny but the food there is so amazing I haven't had anything like it. A must.

• piedpiperpiedpiper 1,279 Posts
    Reading all this hurts. I want to be there again asap...
    The recommendations so far are perfect if you are there for a couple of days only.
    However, I highly recommend to check out other parts than Shibuya (although Shibuya is straight . Shimo Kitazawa, Harajuku, Kichijoji, Jimbocho just to name a few.
    I think I did not miss many record stores in the Tokyo area and all the Disk Union stores scattered in the city are still my favourite places. They are simply , they often have special sales and usually there are other record shops nearby.

For other stuff I recommend the Ghibli/Hayao Miazaki mueseum. Afterwards it would be easy to go to Kichijoji, where you can dig records and finally grab the best yakitori around at the open air joint close to the park.

Do you know the shop that sells glasses with the huge basement with records on the Chuo line piedpiper?

peace.

• okiba75okiba75 89 Posts

I'll be in Tokyo in early September and I'm already fiending to get into these stores -- I've heard many good things about Tokyo so I can't wait to get over there and start bugging out like the baka gaijin I am.

Thanks for the tipoffs hommies...

Do you know the shop that sells glasses with the huge basement with records on the Chuo line piedpiper?

peace.

sounds great. I don??t remember something like this, so maybe I missed it. What is the exact location/station?

I just realized nobody mentioned jazzy sport yet:

jazzy sport (www.jazzysport.com)
    #401,12-7Udagawacho Shibuya-ku Tokyo Japan 150-0042
    tel:+81.[0]3.5456.3777

This is not the best digging spot for raers, but it??s a nice shop, a great label IMO, located in the Shibuya area and - perhaps most important - dudes there are extremely friendly, helpful + fluent in English.

peace.

sounds great. I don??t remember something like this, so maybe I missed it. What is the exact location/station?

that's one spot i ain't droppin'... but if you pay attention, you can find it easy enough, the info is published if you get my drift. that shop single handedly shits on any record store from here to kyoto in a heartbeat. last time i walked in there, they had the entire sonoton record library for 100 yen a pop + numerous copies of every italian soundtrack i was after... but they didn't have get carter this time

peace.

peace.

that's one spot i ain't droppin'... but if you pay attention, you can find it easy enough, the info is published if you get my drift. that shop single handedly shits on any record store from here to kyoto in a heartbeat. last time i walked in there, they had the entire sonoton record library for 100 yen a pop + numerous copies of every italian soundtrack i was after... but they didn't have get carter this time

peace.

Well, this one seems to be a store for real. I??ll (try to) find it the next time I am there (hopefully soon). cheers for the info

• DJFerrariDJFerrari 2,411 Posts
    Damn... I may be out there in October for work. Better start saving some dough!

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    one of the quinessential tokyo experiences is checking out the tsukiji fish market. If you're willing to wake up mad early, your senses will be assaulted w/ the most vibrant colours and smells ever. Plus there are two really good sushi restaurants in the market that have complete omakases for around $36 US.

Sushi Dai

Sushi Daiwa

lineups start at 6am, and they're only open until 2pm. Both are found in section 6 of the market.

For ramen I would have to recommend you reference this list.

• slushslush 691 Posts
    i skipped the last couple tokyo posts... so i will chime in and shout out Hiroshi and Hiroshi at GSM and Urban Sounds respectively. Right in the thick of nishi-shinjuku. easy to miss but well worth the search. these dudes have stories to share along with records...

• on a funny note. .i forgot to say at disc union(near the police box) they had a B-C(about vg-)
    copy of stark reality for $1400. prices are all over the place in japan.
    peace, stein. . .