PC Laptops/Serato

dayday 9,611 Posts
edited May 2005 in Strut Central
Serato is looking mighty fine these days but I know naan when it comes to good compatible PC laptops for it. I've never owned a laptop and it would basically be solely for music. I know most folks use a Mac and I might be down to make the jump one day, but i'd rather use what I know.
PC dorks STAND UP por favorino (note how i'm using my Spanglish).

"come to the darkside..."

Comments

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    I'm using a Thinkpad T42 (I think Ayres is using the same one?) and it works beautifully. Check the Rane forums and they have a thread with everyone's laptop specs. I would check that and see what everyone else is using and how stable shit is.

• meshmesh 925 Posts
    whats up day.

i dont know jack about PCs but i know a couple people who use serato and i have heard nothing but great things. my friend jeyone here in VA uses it pretty much every night on the radio and in the clubs. he said its solid as a rock. the main thing he mentioned was to make sure all your mp3s are converted to at least 192. he noticed a major sound degradation when he tried to use lower quality mp3s in the club.

i was actually thinking about doing a serato appreciation post because i have been picking up tons of records from djs going strictly digital. its great for me cuz i am more of a collector than a dj. great for them cuz they dont want the records taking up space anymore.

so, does this mean you might be selling some records too?

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    HAIL NAH

I'm looking at it from a portability aspect and convenience rather than give up using or buying records. I'll forever do that, I'm sure.
    I'm gonna look into those Thinkpads and check the Rane site. I think Cosmo & Ayers used it on their West Coast Tour and I saw Young Norton using it with KOOL DJ AM LOOK AT ME BITCHES. Not to mention our own Empanadamn swears by it.

So yeah, it seems like something worth checking out.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    I swear by my Serato too, but like young Emp da demp, I'm using an iBook. Basically Serato will run on old shitty pIII's and shit like that. It's light as hell, the whole app is less than 1.5mb.

Never had problems with it.

Basically if you get ANY recent model lappy, it should work.

I can't speak any higher of it.

• street_muzikstreet_muzik 3,919 Posts
    Friends don't let friends use PC's. It's all Mac or nothing, bro. Get a Powerbook. You wont be sorry.

• ayresayres 1,452 Posts
    I'm using a Thinkpad T42 (I think Ayres is using the same one?) and it works beautifully. Check the Rane forums and they have a thread with everyone's laptop specs. I would check that and see what everyone else is using and how stable shit is.

Yeah it works great on that Thinkpad. I'm not partial to PC but I can't see paying $1000 more for a Mac to run Serato on just because it looks pretty. if you get Serato, feel free to hit me up for help / troubleshooting; I've got lots of tricks and tips worked out.

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    actually macs are pretty dirt cheap nowadays compared to 4-5 yrs ago. A low end ibook (12" 1.2ghz g4) will run serato more than comfortably and is only $999.

Although as always, going w/ familiarity is best........so if you're happy w/ pc's, by all means stick w/ it.

Yeah it works great on that Thinkpad. I'm not partial to PC but I can't see paying $1000 more for a Mac to run Serato on just because it looks pretty. if you get Serato, feel free to hit me up for help / troubleshooting; I've got lots of tricks and tips worked out.

It's much, much more than a look. It's they OS. It's smooth like butter. Worth the extra grand, but I can afford it. *i wish*

My G4 desktop does get the girls wet, though.

I have been considering Serrato for a bit now. I, also, am tired of lugging around records. Let us know how it works out Day[/b].

• DJBombjackDJBombjack Miami 1,665 Posts
    Once you've had Mac you never go back.

• GambleGamble 844 Posts
    PC ALL DAY. i swear by pc. I have a mac. Most of my family uses macs. For anythign audio though, i use pc. Shit is far superior IMO.

PC BOYS STAND UP

• ayresayres 1,452 Posts

I used Macs for about 6 years before swiching to PC in 2000 and I haven't used a Mac since. It's really pretty outside so I'm done with the PC vs Mac argument. Have fun, fanys.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts

I used Macs for about 6 years before swiching to PC in 2000 and I haven't used a Mac since. It's really pretty outside so I'm done with the PC vs Mac argument. Have fun, fanys.

That particular year would be the most inopportune one to swtich from Mac to Pc. You're seriously missing out. You crossed over at precisely the *wrongest* time.

OK kids, I was just playin', isn't this thread about Serrato[/b] ?

What ever works, it's just a tool.

Macs are better. Pass it on.