Anti-Gay Reggae Performers Cancelled In NYC

RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
edited July 2006 in Strut Central
Would love to hear what the Strut thinks about this..... Citing concerns about potential violence, an organizer on Wednesday cancelled a reggae concert meant to raise awareness of HIV/ AIDS after protesters complained two of the scheduled performers, Beenie Man & T.O.K. were anti-gay. [/b] http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060713/ap_en_mu/music_reggae_protest_2

Comments

• coffinjoecoffinjoe 1,743 Posts

buju banton fan club's not impressed

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    man Beenie's just repressed. they should have made this whole concert a "learning moment" where Beenie could embrace his true identity.

• PonyPony 2,283 Posts
    "Putting the GAY in Reg-GAY!"

• soulmarcosasoulmarcosa 4,296 Posts
    Would love to hear what the Strut thinks about this.....

If Ted Nugent were on the bill for an animal rights awareness concert, I'd expect protesters would want him off too. No brainer.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts

If Ted Nugent were on the bill for an animal rights awareness concert, I'd expect protesters would want him off too. No brainer.

Absolutely....but who would HIRE Ted to do an Animal Rights gig....are the promoters of the HIV/AIDS Awareness Fund Raiser so out of touch with their cause that they would hire the Ted Nugent Bow-Hunting For Gays & Lesbians equivelent of the Reggae Circuit???

• twoplytwoply Only Built 4 Manzanita Links 2,914 Posts

I don't really see it.

• soulmarcosasoulmarcosa 4,296 Posts

Absolutely....but who would HIRE Ted to do an Animal Rights gig....are the promoters of the HIV/AIDS Awareness Fund Raiser so out of touch with their cause that they would hire the Ted Nugent Bow-Hunting For Gays & Lesbians equivelent of the Reggae Circuit???

It's probably more that they're out of touch with the Jamaican music scene.

• dayday 9,611 Posts

buju banton fan club's not impressed

holy shit that dude on the left looks dead on like the game. g-unit needs to hire him for a dre day-esque video immediately.

???

More like the dude on the right looks like Yusef Lateef.

• crossingscrossings 946 Posts
    well... what do they expect? as much as i love reggae n dub n all... the rastafarian beliefs have almost always been anti-gay. it's actually the only thing i disagree with as far as the rastafarian religion... you'd think that anyone who smokes that much herb would be a little more tolerant of a "chi chi man" (their derogatory way of saying faggot).

but gay people really need to choose their battles better. you don't see straight people marching into gay clubs demanding a once a week "straight night" or anything like that.

i do not approve of gay-bashing though. i've just accepted the fact that not EVERYTHING has to be for EVERYONE.

well... what do they expect?

uhhh, I think they could reasonably expect that an event that so obviously touches on gay concerns (pause) would not feature openly anti-gay artists.

but gay people really need to choose their battles better.

again, I'd say they are well within their rights in "choosing this battle." though I'd say they didn't "choose" anything here. the promoters brought this upon themselves.

you don't see straight people marching into gay clubs demanding a once a week "straight night" or anything like that.

are you serious? dude like 90% of all bars are straight, and that's why there's gay bars. straight people don't demand straight nights in gay bars because they don't have to. and what kind of analogy is this? are gay people demanding anything here? (other than for people not to sing about killing them at an event that they are going to have a large presence at?)

well... what do they expect?

uhhh, I think they could reasonably expect that an event that so obviously touches on gay concerns (pause) would not feature openly anti-gay artists.

i was referring to the organizers of the event not putting much thought into their lineup.

but gay people really need to choose their battles better.

again, I'd say they are well within their rights in "choosing this battle." though I'd say they didn't "choose" anything here. the promoters brought this upon themselves.

this is what i'm saying.

you don't see straight people marching into gay clubs demanding a once a week "straight night" or anything like that.

are you serious? dude like 90% of all bars are straight, and that's why there's gay bars. straight people don't demand straight nights in gay bars because they don't have to. and what kind of analogy is this? are gay people demanding anything here? (other than for people not to sing about killing them at an event that they are going to have a large presence at?)

no i wasn't serious... i was just making an example on how some things just aren't meant for certain audiences. if i were to go to some gay club where all the songs are about buttsex or whatever, i'm not gonna feel entitled to complain... it would be retarded to do so. again, not everything is for everyone. they should be protesting against the organizers... protesting against lyrical content is lame. i haven;t seen any white protesters protesting against dead prez lyrics. it's why we have free speech to begin with. again.. not saying i approve.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    (their derogatory way of saying faggot).

Oh!

So - what is our derogatory way of saying faggot?

So - what is our derogatory way of saying faggot?

ok.. maybe i should rephrase that as "their derogatory EQUIVALENT of faggot".. 'cause that's what i meant.

i haven;t seen any white protesters protesting against dead prez lyrics.

I'm white and I complain about their lyrics. They suck.

Just playing I see your point.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts

"The soothsayers see 7 pages by Friday."

• wooshiewooshie 490 Posts
    I'm constantly thinking about how i disagree with a lot of the musicians I listen to but still love their music.

IE: Morrisey saying hip hop isn't music, (though dude is a bitter ol' west hollywood type and i don't think I'd agree with much he says) Hardcore Bands and old punk music with their black and white views of drug abuse and junkies, straight edge crap and of course, lots of reggae, dub music where they're talking about killing batty buys.

• twoplytwoply Only Built 4 Manzanita Links 2,914 Posts

no i wasn't serious... i was just making an example on how some things just aren't meant for certain audiences. if i were to go to some gay club where all the songs are about buttsex or whatever[/b],

I think your homophobia is showing more than a touch in this thread.

[/HarveyCanal]

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts

no i wasn't serious... i was just making an example on how some things just aren't meant for certain audiences. if i were to go to some gay club where all the songs are about buttsex or whatever[/b],

I think your homophobia is showing more than a touch in this thread.

[/HarveyCanal]

Last time I checked, most of the music in straight clubs seem to be about buttsex too.

Anal = the great equalizer.

• wooshiewooshie 490 Posts
    celebrate dance good times come on faggots lets celebrate yeah do it in the butt have a good time in the butt

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    celebrate dance good times come on faggots lets celebrate yeah do it in the butt have a good time in the butt

this is the reason why someone should fix the cut-off location thing

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,390 Posts
    Beenie Man narrowly escaped conviction for beating up some gay men a few months ago and Boom Bye Bye is a regular feature in his sets. So which fuckwits booked him for an AIDS fundraiser?

• coffinjoecoffinjoe 1,743 Posts
    Beenie Man narrowly escaped conviction for beating up some gay men a few months ago and Boom Bye Bye is a regular feature in his sets. So which fuckwits booked him for an AIDS fundraiser?

boom bye bye = buju banton

i'm sure beenie has some equally bad tune

and "chi chi" is not heard as often as "batty boy"

• hammertimehammertime 2,389 Posts
    no i wasn't serious... i was just making an example on how some things just aren't meant for certain audiences. if i were to go to some gay club where all the songs are about buttsex or whatever, i'm not gonna feel entitled to complain... it would be retarded to do so. again, not everything is for everyone. they should be protesting against the organizers... protesting against lyrical content is lame. i haven;t seen any white protesters protesting against dead prez lyrics. it's why we have free speech to begin with. again.. not saying i approve.

I don't see anyone "protesting" anything here. Some inappropriate artists were booked for whatever stupid reason, someone probably said "uh what the fuck are you thinking" and they were canceled. End of story.

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,390 Posts

boom bye bye = buju banton

i'm sure beenie has some equally bad tune

and "chi chi" is not heard as often as "batty boy"

It's a Buju Banton tune but Boom Bye Bye is nevertheless a regular in Beenie Man sets.

And Beenie seems to prefer funnyman to battyboy. Nice fella all round.

I don't see anyone "protesting" anything here.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    They still play that TOK chi chi man song at hip-hop/dancehall/house/urban clubs here in chicago. i think 90% of ppl don't know what they're dancing to.

There's clearly some pretty weak hypocrisy on priveleged educated white folks like m'self getting all self-righteous about jamaican homophobia considering, y'know, how that attitude was introduced to jamaican culture (coughxtianitycough) but regardless, chi chi man bashing is weak and its entirely reasonable we not accept it and what kind of a person books dancehall acts to an event attended by many gays? A clueless one, is who.

• ladydayladyday 623 Posts
    I can see everyone's first reaction is "WTF were they thinking?"... well MY position is, you're thinking SMALL.

I'm going to borrow from this blog because he puts it more eloquently than I can on a hungover Friday morning:

"When I first heard about the concert, I was put off by the organization???s selection of theme (reggae music, which has been historically anti-gay) and some of the artists (Beenie Man???s ???Bad Man Chi Chi Man???- while catchy musically- espouses some of the most hate-filled, violence-oriented and homophobic lyrics I???ve ever heard in music, period.). My first instinct was the ???WTF?????? reflex.

Then I thought about what the larger picture MIGHT be. Could the reason the LIFEBEAT organization chose to do a reggae concert be to open up the dialogue on the issue of homophobia and in a grander scheme of things start Caribbean people to start really talking about the AIDS crisis at large? With what seems like ???acceptable??? gang-beatings and slayings of gay people specifically in Jamaica but inherent on all of the islands, maybe it is time for someone to start the wheels turning in the Caribbean psyche about the counter-production of homophobia as well as the need for AIDS awareness and activism[/b]."