Worst first song off a kick ass RAP album?

mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
edited July 2006 in Strut Central
Go.

Comments

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    I can do without "The Silent Boatman" offa Osmium...wish they would of put "Red Hot Momma" or "Come in Out of the Rain" on it instead.

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    Go.

is that your pick, O, or are you merely directing us to "set it off"?!

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    my bad.

• autezautez 404 Posts
    outkast - mamacita

• jleejlee 1,539 Posts
    not sure if a "kick ass" album can have a crappy first song and still be eligible for "kickassness"

but...i tend to skip "December 4th" of the Black Album. that said

I was conceived by Gloria Carter and Adaness Revees
    Who made love under the Siccamore tree
    Which makes me
    A more sicker M.C.

is a pretty fresh line.

but his mom talking gets kinda annoying.

• jleejlee 1,539 Posts
    outkast - mamacita

that's like song #10

but agreed, it's not a great song. and i am a witchdoctor fanboy.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    I never liked how Jay decided to start off "The Blueprint" but "December 4th" is kick ass despite the fact that, indeed, his mom talking does get annoying.

not sure if a "kick ass" album can have a crappy first song and still be eligible for "kickassness"

Which makes me
    A more sicker M.C.

is a pretty fresh line.

• autezautez 404 Posts

Which makes me
    A more sicker M.C.

is a pretty fresh line.

my bad read the thread title wrong

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

"A two-wheeler at that! Isn't that speshew?"

is a pretty fresh line.

• jleejlee 1,539 Posts
    "A two-wheeler at that! Isn't that speshew?"

haha...i was looking for a jpg. of the TTLab shirt to put in my post.

not sure i will ever understand why dude let his mom put him on blast like that.

• crossingscrossings 946 Posts
    doesn't practically EVERY rap album have an unnecessarilly longass intro that gets skipped after hearing it once and realizing it's kinda pointless?

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    doesn't practically EVERY rap album have an unnecessarilly longass intro that gets skipped after hearing it once and realizing it's kinda pointless?

I still listen to the Only Built 4 intro.

"let's do it!"

shit gets me amped everytime. the original Thug Motivation 101.

The difference is between intros which are just blah blah blah vs. something that actually resembles more of a song (which I think "the Ruler's Back" qualifies as).

that said - best intro that could have gone wrong but didn't: the intro to "Stakes Is High."

• RaystarRaystar 1,106 Posts
    "Watch Roger Do His Thing" Mainsource

A weak song but that was the LAST song on "Breaking Atoms."

First song = "Snake Eyes" which was

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    that said - best intro that could have gone wrong but didn't: the intro to "Stakes Is High."

too bad about the rest of the album though.

Hatter.

• noznoz 3,625 Posts

Hatter.

you honestly don't see the dramatic shift in tone between that intro and rest of the albums mostly boo hoo old man rap?

• VitaminVitamin 631 Posts

Hatter.

you honestly don't see the dramatic shift in tone between that intro and rest of the albums mostly boo hoo old man rap?

What?!?!?! Stakes is like De La's second best record after De La Soul iz Dead. The production value alone makes it bananas. Long Island Degrees? Dinninit?

• any kick ass album that has an opening skit or an introtrack gets my vote, two things of which i loath

Hatter.

What?!?!?! Stakes is like De La's second best record after De La Soul iz Dead. The production value alone makes it bananas. Long Island Degrees? Dinninit?

I can't agree with either Noz OR Vitamin here. I liked the album. Their four best but a distant fourth behind the first three LPs.

"Stakes" better than "3 Ft High" and "Buhloone"? Never that.

• kitchenknightkitchenknight 4,922 Posts

Hatter.

I can't agree with either Noz OR Vitamin here. I liked the album. Their four best but a distant fourth behind the first three LPs.

I'll always ride for this one. "Buhloone" and "...Is Dead," take billing above it, but I'd take it to my desert island before I brought "3 Ft."

• RaystarRaystar 1,106 Posts

my fault, I was thinking first song like first single off the album... actually the remix for "Friendly Game of Baseball" was last on the cd...

my fault, I was thinking first song like first single off the album... actually the remix for "Friendly Game of Baseball" was last on the cd...

Vinyl + cassette = no remix though. That's 2 outta 3.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

Hatter.

Somehow, this doesn't surprise me...

• keithvanhornkeithvanhorn 3,855 Posts

Hatter.

I'll always ride for this one. "Buhloone" and "...Is Dead," take billing above it, but I'd take it to my desert island before I brought "3 Ft."

whaat? 3 ft high changed hip hop. its also a good listen 90% through. stakes is high was a good album, but they didnt take any risks. buhloone was slightly better than the dead album. i cant listen to either of those straight through anymore though.

• kitchenknightkitchenknight 4,922 Posts

Hatter.

whaat? 3 ft high changed hip hop. its also a good listen 90% through. stakes is high was a good album, but they didnt take any risks. buhloone was slightly better than the dead album. i cant listen to either of those straight through anymore though.

I agree that 3 ft. changed hip hop, but I have the same troubles listening to it that you seem to have with Buhloone and Is Dead... I like it, but a lot of it boarders on novelty. I mean, "Bit of Soap," is great buuuut....

There is a lot of music that was influential that I have but don't listen to as much as Stakes is High. Squeeking-era Coltrane comes to mind.

• keithvanhornkeithvanhorn 3,855 Posts
    true. actually, i dont even think de la likes 3 ft high anymore. they hardly play any songs off that album at live shows, and when i saw them perform "me, myself and i" they added new lyrics about how tired they are of singing that song.

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    There is a lot of music that was influential that I have but don't listen to as much as Stakes is High. Squeeking-era Coltrane comes to mind.

The consensus on that era for Coltrane, from himself, his colleagues and critics, it that it was exploratory and transitional cut short by his death. So we do not really know what Coltrane was doing there. That said, it was/is not a terribly influential period for him.

It is safe to say that Coltrane was influential simply as John Coltrane at this point. But we will never know where he was going with this music. Plus, Sanders was really doing most of the squeaking. By the time Live in Japan came out, you can almost hear JC dying. It is pretty sad and intense.

Or we can talk about his influence as A&R for Impulse! during that later period?