Synth Help

Skip DrinkwaterSkip Drinkwater 1,694 Posts
edited July 2006 in Strut Central
ok so im looking to spend about $300-$500 on a vintage synth. what are some good pieces for that price range? ive heard really good things about the roland juno 106, but i havent heard the actual sound myself. is there a website that has sound clips of synths that anyone knows about? i tried googling, but didnt find much...

Comments

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    Some good starter points..

http://www.synthmuseum.com/index.html

http://vintagesynth.com/

From personal experience, your bound to find many different types of keys for that price range. I could've bought an organ for $50 today.. So, you really gotta narrow it to what types of sounds you'd want to be applying it for. Like if you want some little electro noises to go ontop of some dance music for live purposes only..

This might be in your boat. But for $500 you can have a collection of synths... with years of different applications.

- spidey

• as far as the type of sounds, my 3 favorite sounding keyboards have been the moog, arp, and rhodes, but i can't score either for that price range...

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    getcha one of these jernts!

• PonyPony 2,283 Posts

I have this synth and it's le shit! I run it through a little FX unit and it sounds

Very very phat, and you can create your own sounds fairly easily (plus it has midi which some old synths don't).

• ShahShah 35 Posts
    I have the two Juno 106s, a Juno 60, and a Jupiter 8.

The Juno 106 is my synth of choice, its really nice for hip hop. I think the Jupiter 8 makes nicer leads (unison mode) by the 106 all around sits better in a mix.

I would go with the 106 for sure. I might let one of mine go soon (just purchased a Roland Space Echo jeah!!) Get at me if you are serious.
    S

• PonyPony 2,283 Posts
    Anyone messed with this yet?

• dayday 9,612 Posts
    as far as the type of sounds, my 3 favorite sounding keyboards have been the moog, arp, and rhodes, but i can't score either for that price range...

What are you looking for the synth to do? Maybe expound a likkle and we can help suggest something.

• nrichnrich 932 Posts
    Roland SH-101
    Moog Rogue
    Prophet 6(I think that's the one) although it falls out of tune and other probs
    Juno 106 is decent

• as far as the type of sounds, my 3 favorite sounding keyboards have been the moog, arp, and rhodes, but i can't score either for that price range...

What are you looking for the synth to do? Maybe expound a likkle and we can help suggest something.
    essentially it's for production purposes. i'd definately prefer something with a wide range of quality sounds, rather than something like the micro korg (which isn't a bad piece, just xclusive for electronic music).

• dayday 9,612 Posts

Moog Rogue

I haven't messed with this, but you might as well get a Prodigy for a little more. I think they might be within that price range.

I recently copped a mint ARP Odyssey for 5 bills. I highly recommend it.

You should check this site out:

http://www.arpodyssey.com/directory.html

and listen to this demo MP3 http://www.arpodyssey.com/Roger%20Powell%20Odyssey%20Tutorial.mp3

• nrichnrich 932 Posts
    last time I checked, granted that was a while ago, they were in the 300ish range. Definately one of the stronger non-minimoog moogs.

That ARP is pretty killer though.

• i'm definately a fan of the odyssey. i always assumed it was more of a $800-$1000 piece though.

• MjukisMjukis 1,675 Posts
    I've played around with the juno 106 and it sounded nice, and I'm definitely loving the bass sound on Black Moons second album, so it would be a good choice... The prob with vintage synths is that they take up so much space, but if you got space, go nuts!

• i'm good on space, but my budget is limited... what's good with the gforce oddity? supposedly modeled after the odyssey - anyone know about this piece?

• ShahShah 35 Posts
    Yeah I'd like to check out the little phattie. I am a bit sceptical because Bob Moog was not at all involved in it. Also the bang for buck I was not in love with the minimoog voyager. I think if you are going to spend that kind of coin you may as well get the OG minimoog

• PonyPony 2,283 Posts
    Yeah I'd like to check out the little phattie. I am a bit sceptical because Bob Moog was not at all involved in it. Also the bang for buck I was not in love with the minimoog voyager. I think if you are going to spend that kind of coin you may as well get the OG minimoog

Good point, it seems like these new ones are just trying to recreate sounds from the old ones anyways, but they just look so damn sexy!

• nrichnrich 932 Posts
    If you aren't dead set on getting a 70's vintage synth, I highly, highly recommend this.

Studio Electronics ATC-1, I think they stopped making them in the 90s.
    You need a keyboard controller, but this thing has insane sound & filtering.
    This is not analog modeling, this is the real deal. Massive bang for the buck in my opinion.

• If you aren't dead set on getting a 70's vintage synth, I highly, highly recommend this.

Studio Electronics ATC-1, I think they stopped making them in the 90s.
    You need a keyboard controller, but this thing has insane sound & filtering.
    This is not analog modeling, this is the real deal. Massive bang for the buck in my opinion.
    nah i'm not set on it being vintage. thanks for the recommendation, but i've had bad experiences with midi controlling, so i'd much rather get the actual synth w/ keys rather than a controller.

aside from that micro korg, what are some recent synth's that come recommended?

• dayday 9,612 Posts
    ok so im looking to spend about $300-$500 on a vintage synth.[/b]

nah i'm not set on it being vintage.

If that's the case, just use VST's. The Minimoog and ARP one's are decent.

• nrichnrich 932 Posts
    Novation Bass Station keyboard would be at the top of the price range, solid analog, non-vintage, great sounding keyboard list. Should be about 200-300 give or take

• ok so im looking to spend about $300-$500 on a vintage synth.[/b]

nah i'm not set on it being vintage.

If that's the case, just use VST's. The Minimoog and ARP one's are decent.
    well, i'd definately prefer a vintage piece, but it would probably be less of a headache to get a new one rather than try to find a vintage one in good shape, in my price range, dealing with shipping, etc etc... i haven't yet come across any recent synths that i liked, but i'm not closed-off to the idea of getting a recent model.

• well, i'd definately prefer a vintage piece, but it would probably be less of a headache to get a new one rather than try to find a vintage one in good shape, in my price range, dealing with shipping, etc etc... i haven't yet come across any recent synths that i liked, but i'm not closed-off to the idea of getting a recent model.
    any recommendations for new synths?

day, did you get that odyssey on the bay?

• crossingscrossings 946 Posts
    just FYI... the AKAI AX-60 is the poorman's Juno 106.

• wooshiewooshie 490 Posts
    For the price, and versatility you wanna start with either a microkorg or a novation, something along those lines. That way you can get a feel, you can play basslines, leads whatever.

Although everyone and their mother has a microkorg they're just such a nice synth for the price and size. A wolf in sheeps clothing.

I want arps, krumars, jen's, moogs, etc but I know i'd still go back to the microkorg for a starting point and most things.

-Woosh

• damn. nice score, day