Dj Spinna

yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
edited July 2006 in Strut Central
Who's seen him live? I'm planning on checking him out when he rolls through Santa Monica this thursday.I'm also listening to some clips from his new album. I could dance to shit like this all night.

Comments

• mrfinewinemrfinewine 157 Posts
    very highly recommended...and supernice fellow, too.
    m

• cpeetzcpeetz 2,112 Posts
    Check'em, he's got the skillz and the selections to make for a good time, a super cool down to earth guy as well. I'd say go for it!

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    Yuichi,

Go see Spinna! Great DJ with CRAZY knowledge in music and records. Spinna is dat dude! He will play a nice set for sure. We always go diggin' and go get dinner when he rolls through Seattle. Very nice guy and can talk music and records all night. I felt sorry for my wife the last time we had dinner together at a Thai spot here in Seattle cause Spinna and I were just talking about soul, disco and Brasilian records throughout the whole meal! LOL. I asked hommie if there was a 12" for Stevie Wonder's "that girl." He said "Yep Mexico only, got it at the crib." We went diggin' earlier that day and hit Jive Time records here in Seattle. Spinna was pulling records out of bins and showing me all kinds of tracks he sampled. He put me up on a lot of joints. That fool is a BALLA when it comes to the records. I saw a Lemuria original on the wall and pointed it out to him. He just said "Oh word, all I got is a Japanese re-issue!" He grabbed it right off the wall and just threw it onto his stack of records without checking the price. Be sure to call him "DJ Vince Dynamite!" if you meet him. He will love it! LOL

Big Chan & Spinna October 2003

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    he plays great sets in every city I've seen him in EXCEPT Toronto. Promtoers that book him here throw garage house parties in general, so he tends to play for that crowd. It's ok, but I keep thinking about the wasted potential.

He has done numerous theme parties for Keistar in NYC (Prince, MJ, etc). The biggest of them all being the annual Stevie Wonder events w/ Bobbito, usually on Stevie's birthday. They've brought the party to SF thanks to the boys at Massive Selector/Fresco. Now to get them to do a theme party up here....

• strikerstriker 146 Posts
    He always kills it. a brilliant dj & super nice guy.

last time he rolled thru my town he hit the record shop i work in at around 4pm, dug till he had to DJ at around 11pm. After he'd finished he was like "can i get back in there, i didn't get to the sevens", went back to his hotel at around 6.30am.

• Phill_MostPhill_Most 4,594 Posts

Yo Chan, how damn tall ARE you??? It's been a long time since I saw Spinna at the record shows in NYC, but I don't remember him being a short dude. He lookin' like Gary Coleman in that picture!

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts

Yo Chan, how damn tall ARE you??? It's been a long time since I saw Spinna at the record shows in NYC, but I don't remember him being a short dude. He lookin' like Gary Coleman in that picture!

LOL! What up Phill? I'm 6'4" hommie.

• LordNOLordNO 202 Posts

Dude is a one of THE most wildly underrated producers IMO...too many to name, but a lot of unique, well crafted joints.

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,892 Posts
    I have lost count of the number of times I've spun his mix of Carleen Anderson's "Rideaway, Getaway". Like the man said, I could dance to this all night.

Current Spinna hotness is the mix of Stevie's "My Love Is On Fire". Check it.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    I can't recommend many DJs more highly than Spinna.

• Young_PhonicsYoung_Phonics 8,039 Posts

word up.

Some of my best experiences dancing/listening to music in clubs involved Spinna deejaying.

BUT WHAT ABOUT HIS PRODUCTION? He hasn't made anything in a while that I really liked, but back in the indie era he was on point. Anyone recomend anything he's done recently that's dope(Hip-hop, soul, house?). I really didn't like his new album at all.

• 33thirdcom33thirdcom 2,049 Posts
    Who's seen him live? I'm planning on checking him out when he rolls through Santa Monica this thursday.

I'm also listening to some clips from his new album. I could dance to shit like this all night.

Where is this at?

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

word up.

Some of my best experiences dancing/listening to music in clubs involved Spinna deejaying.

Please to speak further on your "best dancing experiences"

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    Who's seen him live? I'm planning on checking him out when he rolls through Santa Monica this thursday.

I'm also listening to some clips from his new album. I could dance to shit like this all night.

Where is this at?

This Thursday at Zanzibar in Santa Monica.

• Pistol_PetePistol_Pete 1,289 Posts

Where is this at?

This Thursday at Zanzibar in Santa Monica.

nice - i live a few blocks from there.

I saw him open for Cut Chemist and Shadow in NY on the Product Placement tour. Dude killed it.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Yup, he's the dude.

• redgregredgreg 96 Posts

Any idea when this is due out?

• Young_PhonicsYoung_Phonics 8,039 Posts

word up.

Please to speak further on your "best dancing experiences"

Damn...is that you as a youngster? Lemme find out Young_Rillz cleaned up nicely.

But yo..it's called not trying to think you're tough-shit at a club and just having a good time.

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,892 Posts

Any idea when this is due out?

It's available via the magic of slsk at least.