masekela "introducing hedzoleh soundz"

BurnsBurns 2,227 Posts
edited July 2006 in Strut Central
this record is amazing,is any of other masekela stuff from the 70's this dope, i have some80's masekela that is poop.is fela part of the production of this?

Comments

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    grazing in the grass

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts

co-sign.

Also there is a good 'un that's just called "Masekela" on UNI from the late 60's/early 70's. But that one on Blue thumb that fatback posted is real cool. Nice version of Larry Willis' "Inner Crisis" on there.

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    Lighter than the Fela records, but definitely a good listen.

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    My favorite Maskela record is his first on Mercury (called Hugh Masekela or GRRR). Beautiful South African jazz before he started adding western pop into the mix.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts

this record is amazing,
    is any of other masekela stuff from the 70's this dope, i have some
    80's masekela that is poop.

is fela part of the production of this?

As I recall this a Nigerian group. Lots of horns, afro-pop. Maybe close to highlife stuff from Ghana.

Anyway, I can't really remember it, but it is by a group named Hedzoleh Soundz. They are a West African group that Maselkela "introduced". If is not a Masekela record.

Masekela's stuff tends to be American jazz with South African influences. So his stuff is much different. I like all his records, the White double record set everyone is recommending is the best for soul/jazz fans.

I saw him in the mid 80s backing Miriam Makeba in Rochester NY. It was a dream come true. This was well before Graceland made South African music cool/overplayed.

• dayday 9,612 Posts

this record is amazing,

Yeah, that's a good record. I haven't listened to it in a minute. I remember making a 3/4 beat with that way back when.

• aegisaegis 261 Posts

I am partial to "The Promise of a Future" on Uni. This is the lp with Grazing, Stop, etc.

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    I've got a whole bunch of Masakela LPs on Uni that I haven't listened to for years. Maybe it's time to pull them out again. That Hedzoleh one as well. I still need that double jammy on BT.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

this record is amazing,

As I recall this a Nigerian group. Lots of horns, afro-pop. Maybe close to highlife stuff from Ghana.

Anyway, I can't really remember it, but it is by a group named Hedzoleh Soundz. They are a West African group that Maselkela "introduced". If is not a Masekela record.

Masekela's stuff tends to be American jazz with South African influences. So his stuff is much different. I like all his records, the White double record set everyone is recommending is the best for soul/jazz fans.

They're Ghanaian and, although I agree that it's not really Masakela's record, he definitely plays on it.

• Also there is a good 'un that's just called "Masekela" on UNI from the late 60's/early 70's.

That's a cool album. I just hate that many of the songs I like most are very short.
    Half of the tracks are only two minutes or less.

• "the boy's are doing it" album is a seriously overlooked gem. particularly the track "asiko".

• leisurebanditleisurebandit 1,006 Posts

this one does it for me too. lots of 3-part vocal harmony, and they pull it off. i think the backing band is basically the Crusaders