New Cut Chemist...

gambitgambit 906 Posts
edited July 2006 in Strut Central

Comments

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    I think the album is about 5-7 years late. I actually liked the produced tracks (with or without MCs) but the turntablist ones just sounded anachronistic to me. It's not like Cut needs to be making tracks for Nelly (either of them) but I just don't know who the audience is going to be for variations on "Lesson 6"

• wescoasiawescoasia 126 Posts
    Just heard the whole thing a few days ago and I thought it was good. Nothing groundbreaking, but pretty solid. "Spoon" was a standout from the new instrumental tracks. That cut featuring Hymnal kind of got stuck in my head. Anybody know more about Hymnal? I know he's from LA, but nothing else. Also, "A Peak In Time" is probably his best song on the album. Too bad it was already released for the Keepintime project.

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    Just heard the whole thing a few days ago and I thought it was good. Nothing groundbreaking, but pretty solid. "Spoon" was a standout from the new instrumental tracks. That cut featuring Hymnal kind of got stuck in my head. Anybody know more about Hymnal? I know he's from LA, but nothing else.

Hymnal is from a group called Darkleaf who Cut produced some stuff for back in the day if I'm not mistaken. They have one song I remember from the mid-90's or so called "Fucking Up the Earth" that was pretty dope.

I heard the album the other day and I agree with O-Dub. I have no idea who they're trying to market it to. I thought for an album on WB it was very bold to do some of the shit he did. I can't even begin to imagine sitting in a boardroom playing that telephone/Charlie Brown teacher scratch track ("Spoon" maybe?). I have a lot of respect for him though. Anyway you cut it, the music is complex and had to have taken alot of time and effort. He's definitley trying to take things forward which is good. I hope he does well.

• wescoasiawescoasia 126 Posts

I can't even begin to imagine sitting in a boardroom playing that telephone/Charlie Brown teacher scratch track ("Spoon" maybe?).

That telephone/Kid Koala-ish track is "Spat".

But yeah, some of it sounds 5 years outdated. I wish it were a little longer, too, given that he released 3 of the 12 songs a while ago and those 2 minute ones sound like interludes.

• LamontLamont 1,089 Posts
    RJD2 on Prozac.

Next please.

• mandrewmandrew 2,720 Posts
    anybody rolling to ttl to see him tomorrow? HOOLLA!

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    RJD2 on Prozac.

Next please.

So I'm assuming you've heard it?

• i'm just so tired of hearing looped breakbeats with scratched-in samples from demonstration records and various sound effects... that shit is so '96

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    i'm just so tired of hearing looped breakbeats with scratched-in samples from demonstration records and various sound effects... that shit is so '96

So I'm assuming you've heard it?

• cpeetzcpeetz 2,112 Posts
    i'm just so tired of hearing looped breakbeats with scratched-in samples from demonstration records and various sound effects... that shit is so '96
    I'll second that emotion, it's getting kinda played.
    I'm obviously behind the times, but did Cut quit J5 completely?
    I don't see him in any of their new photos, what's the deal?

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    I think the album is about 5-7 years late. I actually liked the produced tracks (with or without MCs) but the turntablist ones just sounded anachronistic to me. It's not like Cut needs to be making tracks for Nelly (either of them) but I just don't know who the audience is going to be for variations on "Lesson 6"

He should get Dave Matthews on that schitt.

• sticky_dojahsticky_dojah New York City. 2,136 Posts
    I'm obviously behind the times, but did Cut quit J5 completely?
    I don't see him in any of their new photos, what's the deal?

spoke with numark a while ago and he said that it was cut's decision to leave the group as he wanted to concentrate on his solo career. I guess Lucas was unhappy with the way that J5 wanted to market themselves (Mathews, get on there!). However, if he wants to come back to join J5, he is always welcome. Afterall, they are long time friends and each of them understands that you have to do what you have to do to be happy.

• Ian_DIan_D 120 Posts

It's what he does !?

I think it's a great album and the track with thes is , it's a good album rather listen to this than the new J5 anyway ( couple of good tracks but mostly a proto crunk / weak dilated peoples / weak Beatnuts fest ).

• LamontLamont 1,089 Posts
    *sigh*

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    *sigh*

someone must have hated music for the past ten years

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts

Now, at my local store, Cut Chemist would get a slap in the face from the owner for touching the vinyl like that.
    no hating though... just sayin'!

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    I like it.

Sounds like Cut has been diggin some lounge records.... good for you sir!

• i like what ive heard, i really enjoyed that edan/lif track, it had a nice danceble feeling going for it. if you compare it to that shadow shit... i don't need to say anything more

• oxnardcoreoxnardcore 141 Posts
    from tonite's listening party:

i like the album, enough to buy it tomorrow regardless of the fact that i got the mp3s already. but as a big fan/supporter (saw him at the lab tonite, goin to amoeba tomorrow, then moca on saturday), i'm hella biased...

• Ian_DIan_D 120 Posts
    i like what ive heard, i really enjoyed that edan/lif track, it had a nice danceble feeling going for it. if you compare it to that shadow shit... i don't need to say anything more

Storm is my top cut too, also feelin' What's the Attitude and 2266 Cambridge, good Album a grower.

• gloomgloom 2,765 Posts
    got the album last night, was feeling it. the disc will be on rotation today at work so we will see how it holds up.

• RaystarRaystar 1,106 Posts