A TRIBUTE TO THE BREAKDOWN

pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
edited July 2006 in Strut Central
Okay, I admit...I'm the first one to get all testy when people praise a lost soul classic ONLY because it has an open five-second drum break. That really is like going to a five-star restaurant just to take a dump; whoever came up with that analogy was right on the money.HOWEVER...I AM a big fan of the breakdown. Not the Rufus Thomas dance craze, but a lot of crucial early 70's soul/funk songs have it - the part where most of the band lays back (or lays OUT) while one or two of the instruments keep on sweatin'. I was just listening to Laura Lee's "It's Not Who You Fall For (It's What You Stand For)" this morning...the track is gaining steam as it is, and just when you think it can't get any higher, the whole band drops their instruments, but the bass and the conga player keep going...Laura starts preaching, with the echo chamber way up high, while the backup singers keep chanting the title...they keep on like this for quite some time...and then the whole band jumps back into what they were doing. Now, I'm not gonna say that the breakdown MADE the record, but without it, something is missing.Other classics where the melody gets stripped down:- Kool & the Gang's "More Funky Stuff" (where Claydes Smith [R.I.P.] keeps strumming the same guitar chord for an ETERNITY and says so much with so little)- Eddie Kendricks'"Girl, You Need A Change Of Mind" (the Sgt. Pepper of breakdowns)- Dennis Coffey's "Scorpio"- the Smith Connection's "I'm Bugging Your Phone - Part 2"- James Brown's "Talking Loud & Saying Nothing - Part 2"Besides, if you've ever deejayed, there's nothing like a breakdown to lift the dance floor to another level. Ain't much I can say 'cept...if you know of any more, post your fave breakdowns (NOT BREAKBEATS!) here!

Comments

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    Hey Pickwick,

Nice topic, bro!!!! I love me some breakdowns!!!! I'd be happy to add on:

1. "I Just Wanna Make Love to You"-Smith.
    -The band is really cranking it up, then it breaks down to just the drums and the vocalist for 8 bars. During this part, the band provides lead in riffs at the end of each two-bar phase.

2. "Big City Bump"-Jack McDuff (that was funky, wasn't it Day?):
    -Everybody's playing, and then, THE BREAKDOWN. During this part, the drums (Grady Tate, y'all know!!!!) is playing a funky syncopated rhythm along with Jack on the organ-bass pedals (on the first four bars). After this, Melvin Sparks comes in with funky guitar riffs, then Pee Wee Ellis (on flute) and Jack (playing high-end organ notes) come in to add some sparse melody riffs on top of the funky backbeat. This is a great, 70's Cadet recording moment.

3. "Music is the Message"-Kool & the Gang.
    -We all know this one. Funky George and Claydes Smith on guitar. Funk classic material!!!!

4. "If I Was a Bird"-Howlin' Wolf.
    -Band is cranking, and then the BREAKDOWN!!!! Here, it's a funky backbeat, with Howlin's distortion guitar playing, and him "ooooohing" on top. I wish I could isolate the beat from this part, because it would make a dope break.

5. "Never Can Say Goodbye"-Isaac Hayes.
    -This breakdown comes after the loud 2-bar horn riffs. It has just the drummer playing, with sparse bass and piano quarter-notes, light conga, and light flute riffs. It's really slow and smooth. Dope!!!

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts
    Led Zepp - 'Whole Lotta Love'

classic rock breakdown

"you neeeeeeed it, loooooooooooove..."

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    Hey Stacks (Stax?),

What album is Howlin' Wolf's "If I Were A Bird" on? A Message To The Young? Or is it on some 45? Thanx!

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    The Bar-Kays - Holy Ghost

A Go-Go breakdown before Go-Go breakdowns became popular! I love it!

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts

• dayday 9,612 Posts

2. "Big City Bump"-Jack McDuff (that was funky, wasn't it Day?):

Yes indeed! That's one of those slept on McDuff's. Stacks got wax, folls. He was playing me some stuff. Listen to the man.

• James Gang "Lost Woman"

• Archie Bell & The Drells - I Can't Stop Dancing[/b]

Let me put this hamburger down
    I don't want no malt
    I wanna dance

![/b]

• dollar_bindollar_bin I heartily endorse this product and/or event 2,326 Posts
    One of my favorites:

Jerry O The Funky Charge[/b]

Unfortunately I snapped my copy clean in half (looking for a replacement if anyone has doubles) so I can't quote it directly but I love how he calls out each instrument followed by a hearty Charge![/b]

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    ooooh lately I've been SWEATING the breakdown in Bill Black's "Cotton Carnival" -
    the little rhythm section break with the bass lead is more addictive than candy-coated crack!

On a similar tip (but more of a take-that-shit-to-the-breaks.com-break) is the Hell's Belles drum-n-bass break that then kicks back in with the ringing guitar/horn combo ("Hot Wind?")

...and the breakdown on Betty Adams' "Make it Real" on Notes of Gold...sick!!

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    The Whatnauts - Why Can't People Be Colors Too?

Hi A*************h!!!

We miss you

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    Hi!

Thanks...I'm missing contact/conversations with my internet friends and otherwise, too.

The ebay fast sure is easy with no computer at home!

• The ebay fast sure is easy with no computer at home!

You - you - devil woman you!