Help me with a "TECHNO SET"

2»

Comments

• ayresayres 1,452 Posts
    would MP3s help? are you on either Serato or CDJs, or strictly vinyl?

• tonyphronetonyphrone 1,500 Posts
    What is German Techno? How come you are DJing music you don't know. Do you get money for that gig? Awesome!

Yeah, it's a paying gig at a museum opening for a famous German photographer. The curator asked if I played "German techno" - and without thinking I said yes? I've got some the "Detroit" records - but not much? I was hoping I could get away with that sound/style- but I'm now afraid they might expect some cheesy trance???

The Kompakt stuff is a good recommendation- any good comps I should look for? I'm only spinnin vinyl - otherwise I'd be begging for MP3's...

• Rich45sRich45s 327 Posts

playing classics at a techno part?? is not a good look, the music's about progression

its pretty obvious not to play these back to back.

:takethatshittoseratoscratchlive.net:

You'd think that wouldn't you, but Carl Cox made a career out of playing the Bells and Red 1 back to back, at every decent techno thing he did.

• This is the seminal work of German techno

• bthavbthav 1,538 Posts

You'd think that wouldn't you, but Carl Cox made a career out of playing the Bells and Red 1 back to back, at every decent techno thing he did.

carl cox =

• Rich45sRich45s 327 Posts
    I'd agree with that for the most part, especially if you know him for the more commercial DJ'ing he did, but he also bought some quality people over to the UK, Juan Atkins, Stacy Pullin, most of Detroit in fact for a lot of decent do's. He just saw the money later on and went for that.

Everytime he went into the studio though, a guaranteed turd would come out the other side though.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    Carl Cox has released some garbage but he is not garbage.

Kompakt is exactly what yr looking for. Those Kompakt Total comps are perfect. Get Total 3&4 first, then go back to 2 and 5 and 6, and 7 is about to be released.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    Trust me, no museum is planning on hearing trance. They want tasteful minimal german techno, more than likely.

In terms of comps/albums, you might also want

V/A - Digital Disco
    V/A - Digital Disco 2
    MRI - All That Glitters
    Luomo - The Present Lover

• asparagusasparagus Northampton, MA 333 Posts
    Trust me, no museum is planning on hearing trance. They want tasteful minimal german techno, more than likely.

In terms of comps/albums, you might also want

V/A - Digital Disco
    V/A - Digital Disco 2
    MRI - All That Glitters
    Luomo - The Present Lover

cosign on Luomo

I'd add Booka Shade, Isolee, Magda, and Putsch 79 for electro-disco-techno.

• tonyphronetonyphrone 1,500 Posts
    thank you guys

this is exactly what i'm looking for!

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    Yeah, definitely booka shade...
    Chelonis R. Jones, DJ T, pretty much anyone else on getphysical too.

MORE

closer musik - after love
    Herbert - Bodily Functions
    Famous When Dead Vols. 1 & 2
    Dub Taylor - Detect

songs:
    Lucien n Luciano - "Madre Mother Mere"
    Ricardo Villalobos - "Easy Lee"
    superpitcher - "tomorrow"
    matthew dear - "dog days"
    isolee - "beau mot plague"

• sonofsamsonofsam 680 Posts
    I thought this thread was already wildly entertaining with our German contingent arguing and joking about techno. But then I listened to this rave equivalent of the infamous Venom in-between banter 45:

Quote:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.time-warp.de/e913/e3469/gudelaunesvenvth_ger.mp3

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now I can firmly say that I am in Soulstrut classic thread heaven! Thank you Germany! GOOOOOALL!!

AAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!... oh shit!... this is the funniest fucking thing i have ever heard!... i seriously have tears running down my face from laughing so hard... i can't imagine the mindset behind A) whatever the fuck he is doing/talking about or B) attending an event where you thouhgt this might be going on

GUDE LAUNE!

• piedpiperpiedpiper 1,279 Posts
    This "Gude Laune" stuff is amazing. Now I am Looking forward for the LOVE PARADE next weekend...

However, the early Basic Channel stuff is classic, pure quality, highly recommended and available as reissue.

• LamontLamont 1,089 Posts

played out to death

• if you want to go a little oldschool you should try to play the Francious K remix of Yaz - Situation that beat is pretty

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts

played out to death
    Most of the shit i've listed isn't exactly cutting edge in the '06 but he's a dude who doesn't know any german techno, nothing wrong with the classics.