Help me with a "TECHNO SET"

tonyphronetonyphrone 1,500 Posts
edited July 2006 in Strut Central
that won't come off like : or stuff like cybotron, carl craig, theo parish et all. This is not really my M.O. but i've got a gig to play "german techno" and i'm

Comments

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    What is German Techno? How come you are DJing music you don't know. Do you get money for that gig? Awesome!

Play some Scooter and your crowd will be fine.

• LamontLamont 1,089 Posts
    How come you are DJing music you don't know

• strikerstriker 146 Posts
    UR
    UR
    UR
    UR

Everybody needs some UR in their lives

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    Play some Scooter and your crowd will be fine.

"MOVE???YOUR???ASS!"[/b]

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts

"MOVE???YOUR???ASS!"[/b]

hnz...hnz...hnz...hnz...hnz...hnz...hnz...hnz..."MOVE???YOUR???ASS!"[/b]hnz...hnz...hnz...hnz...hnz...hnz...hnz...

• Play some Scooter and your crowd will be fine.

"HOW MUCH IS THE FISH?!"[/b]

Oh, and you should play:

..its a classic.

• sticky_dojahsticky_dojah New York City. 2,136 Posts
    fo real, scooter is on some next level shit, unfuckwidable dudes and cool to hang out with...they know they in they own league of gentlemen...

also play the new deichkind "remmidemmi" and if the crow likes it minimal, slay them with roman fl??gel "Geht's noch"...ahh, me loves the techno, now gimme that Alter EGO "Rocker"....

fo real, scooter is on some next level shit, unfuckwidable dudes and cool to hang out with...they know they in they own league of gentlemen...

They are probably cool people, but their music reminds me of everything that was bad about the 90s.

They are probably cool people, but their music reminds me of everything that was bad about the 90s.

yeah, i remember when "hyper, hyper" dropped, that was the next level downwards, true that...but even worse is the fact that there is now stuff out, that makes scooter look good

But back on topic:

TonyP, if this music is not your usual MO, it does seem a bit ambitious to assemble an insta-techno crate for one gig. Playing this kind of music (the quality stuff like the artists you mentioned, not Scooter) for an entire night and moving the crowd with it takes just as much feel and skill as any other genre. The whole idea of tapping into it for a one-night quickie is a bit suspect IMO. And if they want "german techno", I don't think Theo Parrish et al. will go over too well. Sounds like they just want some cheesy trance or whatever.

• BigSpliffBigSpliff 3,266 Posts
    Play this or you are beyond soft.

• sounds like the ppl goin there & the djs playin the music dont know anything bout it lol. "german techno" isnt even some kind of subgenre if so ud have uk techno, japan techno....(well actually there is sometin ppl define as uk techno for example but all that is bullshit to me...as with every thing its about bein real...either commercial poppish (scooter and all the trance crap) or doin real MATURE club sound (Jeff Mills and all of Detroit Techno-Electro, Djs-Producers like GAYLE SAN,ADAM BEYER,SURGEON,Christian Varela,Laurent Ho,Richie Hawtin....)tons of good, innnovative ppl i played back in the days...i hardly remember any names of all the stuff i bought back then and i dont listen to much electronic-clubby shit nowadays but in a GOOD SORTED techno-house-electronica mailorder u should find what ure lookin for...

slotz aka wundahkind

• Play some Scooter and your crowd will be fine.

"HOW MUCH IS THE FISH?!"[/b]

Oh, and you should play:

..its a classic.

this "1,2,Polizei" track was the worst most cruel thing the germans did to this land and neighbouring countries since the 40s, imho as a german

• piedpiperpiedpiper 1,279 Posts
    if they don??t want cheesy stuff, they want schranz.

All you need for a 15h set are two chris liebing records and some hectic equalizer action. Additionally you should randomly move the faders from time to time. take the music out every now and then to create tension. That will be a classic German Techno set.

• if they don??t want cheesy stuff, they want schranz.

All you need for a 15h set are two chris liebing records and some hectic equalizer action. Additionally you should randomly move the faders from time to time. take the music out every now and then to create tension. That will be a classic German Techno set.

lol...already forgot about all of that shit hehe, liebing hates himself for ever callin anything "schranz" and it basically killed good techno clubs outside of the big towns in germany, every club is full of 15 year olds now...92'style raver lookin with neon tubes in their mouths spending their life bein an obsessive dj rush fan and heavy drug addict...thats why i stopped caring about all of this every club got invaded by kids at least here in out parts, luckily i got out of this shit, as i see it, i decided to solely playin the music i listen to the longest way before techno...jazz, latin and the rap of cuz...

*edit*
    ...yea and 99% of the so called "schranz" records are a prime example of how techno can be made monotonous and too hard, just like the so called hardcore techno, thats totally unlistenable to me ever was and ever will be, i prefer 2 days of nonstop grindcore assault to that hehe

if they don??t want cheesy stuff, they want schranz.

schranz is the modern equivalent of German marching music. No wonder folks like it ova here...

it basically killed good techno clubs outside of the big towns in germany

I'd say it was more the deteriorating quality of MDMA that turned alot of partygoers to speed and alcohol again which in turn affected the music and parties...anyone ever been to an afterhour party in a middlesized German city? Shit is not a good look...

• if they don??t want cheesy stuff, they want schranz.

schranz is the modern equivalent of German marching music. No wonder folks like it ova here...

it basically killed good techno clubs outside of the big towns in germany

I'd say it was more the deteriorating quality of MDMA that turned alot of partygoers to speed and alcohol again which in turn affected the music and parties...anyone ever been to an afterhour party in a middlesized German city? Shit is not a good look...

night of the living chemo deads

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    So you guys don't really know anything about german techno, then. At least help the dude get on the right path (tho agreed you probably shouldn't be djing this) but some quick cops would be:

You want singles from kompakt, ricardo villalobos, getphysical (if yr looking more towards electro house) and most of this stuff is tasteful and sometimes incredible and not cheesy-rave.

German techno is a pretty vital scene. http://www.pitchforkmedia.com/article/feature/10321/Column_Column_The_Month_in_Techno

I can't find the big article sherburne wrote on german dance but its worth digging for.

So you guys don't really know anything about german techno, then.

yawn...

how do you know what I know? You know that I know that you know now that you showed that you know, but you never know if I wouldn't have known beforehand what you know...

fo real, kompakt is runnin things in Germany, that's true. Alot of other good stuff like Alter Ego and Roman Fl??gel I DID mention above, the Villalobosthing I am not too sure about...sometimes all this minimal stuff is just too much booom...booooom...booooom...oh, wait, here comes the clap - clap - (crowd cheers like they just won the lottery)...then again, it's an international sound and what the American crowd is refering to as German Techno I am not quite sure about ...

but in case you understand German and like our Grandmaster of Techno, Sven V??th, then please check the following link to check out his mc skills (I really wonder what he was on at that night)...this has been making noise in Germany as of late and shows that the "Good" techno (Sven) is not too far away from the "bad" techno (Scooter) anymore...bad meaning good? decide for yourself......"GUDE LAUNE"!!!

http://www.time-warp.de/e913/e3469/gudelaunesvenvth_ger.mp3

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts

yawn...

how do you know what I know? You know that I know that you know now that you showed that you know, but you never know if I wouldn't have known beforehand what you know...

Because nobody helped him?

• bthavbthav 1,538 Posts
    mature dance musik (incidentally all from detro't):

octave one - black water
    telex - moskow disko (the original or the carl craig mix)
    inner city - good life
    a number of names - sharevari
    model 500 - no ufo's
    aztec mystic - jaguar

• soulmarcosasoulmarcosa 4,296 Posts
    I thought this thread was already wildly entertaining with our German contingent arguing and joking about techno. But then I listened to this rave equivalent of the infamous Venom in-between banter 45:

Now I can firmly say that I am in Soulstrut classic thread heaven! Thank you Germany! GOOOOOALL!!

• gravelheadwrapgravelheadwrap corn 948 Posts
    Holy Ghost's

Kompakt, Tresor, Axis labels

yawn...

Because nobody helped him?

as I said, I did mention Alter Ego and Roman Fl??gel, two of -imho- the best producers Germany has to offer when it comes to techno. "Rocker" and "Geht's noch" are classic technotracks in my book.

at M*r*o: I am glad that you enjoy our supersven, this has made our days over here in Germany in the last weeks...it's been used now on the radio and I even use some of his shout outs inbetween my sets (people cannot believe what they are hearing, it is superfunny)...

dude is the man:

"IT's ABOUT LOVE, IT's ABOUT PEACE, IT's ABOUT CRAAAZZYYNESSS...IT'S ABOUT GUDE LAUNE (Good vibrations)"

• soulmarcosasoulmarcosa 4,296 Posts
    I am glad that you enjoy our supersven, this has made our days over here in Germany in the last weeks...it's been used now on the radio and I even use some of his shout outs inbetween my sets (people cannot believe what they are hearing, it is superfunny)...

What's he saying? "Guten louden?? YEEEEEEAHHHHH!!!"

Now listen to this!

edit: ok I see it now - "Gude Laun"! That's what I'm going to yell over the mic at my gigs now.

What's he saying? "Guten louden?? YEEEEEEAHHHHH!!!"

"Gute (or slangspelled "Gude") laune" means "good vibrations" or "good vibe"...

lool...def. some similarities....and yeah, we need to step the mc game up when I hear all this...

• LamontLamont 1,089 Posts

octave one - black water
    inner city - good life
    model 500 - no ufo's
    aztec mystic - jaguar

playing classics at a techno part?? is not a good look, the music's about progression

octave one - black water
    inner city - good life
    model 500 - no ufo's
    aztec mystic - jaguar

playing classics at a techno part?? is not a good look, the music's about progression

Does that also go for HipHop? you mean I can't play my Souls of Mischief and Pete Rock tonight? (Logging off)

• bthavbthav 1,538 Posts

its pretty obvious not to play these back to back.

:takethatshittoseratoscratchlive.net: