photo hobbyists i need yr advice on this flash

edith headedith head 5,106 Posts
edited July 2006 in Strut Central
it's only $30 so i don't know why i'm tripping, but do you think this flash would be good for backlighting action? i don't understand how it can automatically sense another flash and go off at the same time?http://shop.lomography.com/shop/main.php?cat=&pro=wamhere's the description
A handy little item to give an extra burst of light when you need it. Whenever this little guy senses another flash firing in its proximity, it fires its own hot white light as well. Its small size makes it easy to hold in your hand, give to a friend, stash in a corner, or screw on a tripod. Get a few of them for a veritable light explosion with each shot! Measures 2??? (5cm) in diameter. Best results when the controlling flash is within 10 feet (3m) of the Wide-Angle Slave Flash. Takes two ???AA??? batteries (not included), recycles in 6-8 seconds.

Comments

• strikerstriker 146 Posts
    It'll have an inbuilt slave unit.
    that means it'll sense the initial flash and trigger it's own within a 60th of a second so it should sort out your backlighting with no probs.

you can trigger multiple flashes at once with these (they usually plug into flash units but this seems to be all in one). looks cool for $30.

• edith headedith head 5,106 Posts
    neat

thanks. this thing is small though 2inches. do you think this morris slave flash would be better?

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controll...&sku=106894

i like the idea of being able to use these color filters with it

• strikerstriker 146 Posts
    It should be fine that size, compact camera flashes are smaller than that & Metz are only a little bigger.
    It looks great for quick lighting setups might get one meself.

have you ever had a go at filtering the flash oposit to ur lens, it makes whatever is exposed by the flash normal and everything else the colour of the lens filter (not the best description but i'll try & find an image, it looks great)

• edith headedith head 5,106 Posts
    have you ever had a go at filtering the flash oposit to ur lens, it makes whatever is exposed by the flash normal and everything else the colour of the lens filter (not the best description but i'll try & find an image, it looks great)

you mean having a color filter on the flash? i use this color wheel flash a lot that comes with 9 different colors

mike says it makes my camera seem like it's on acid

thanks for learning me on slave flashes. this is the first i've ever heard of them and they sound fun. especially when you add color filters to the mix and can use a suction cup mount to position the flash in all kinds of angles. nice

• PABLOPABLO 1,921 Posts
    My photography friend had the $500 Nikon version of these remote flashes & he was using them during Memorial day. It's pretty fantastic what you can do and how much your subject jumps out at you. The colored ones kinda make it look like you're in some VIP room in Miami all the time.
    For $30 I say go for the Morris w/ filters. I'm certainly gonna check it out for that price.