THE VILLAGE

grandpa_shiggrandpa_shig 5,799 Posts
edited July 2006 in Strut Central
so the LA times finally ran an article on this "controversial"new program. THE VILLAGE part of me feels like, hey if this is a success then run that shit. another part can foresee this as an argument for segregation. thoughts?

Comments

• soulrezsoulrez 565 Posts
    tough call shigglez, my homies brother is in that program & loves it, not much else to love in reseda ...
    off toppic, but all i know re: segregation, the california prison system needs to be segregated on the real... & the aclu needs to pull their head out of their ass regarding it... that is all...

• so the LA times finally ran an article on this "controversial"new program. THE VILLAGE

part of me feels like, hey if this is a success then run that shit. another part can foresee this as an argument for segregation. thoughts?

Well, unfortunately America's inner city schools basically already are segregated. This Jonathan Kozol article in Harpers' last year layed it out pretty clearly: Still Separate, Still Unequal

"A teacher at P.S. 65 in the South Bronx once pointed out to me one of the two white children I had ever seen there. His presence in her class was something of a wonderment to the teacher and to the other pupils. I asked how many white kids she had taught in the South Bronx in her career. "I've been at this school for eighteen years," she said. "This is the first white student I have ever taught."

• grandpa_shiggrandpa_shig 5,799 Posts
    hey there brother! yeah, i mean you cant argue with the test scores especially since that's a students' livelihood, but i think itd be better if each school developed their own program. i mean, something that works in reseda wont work in pasadena. in a way, its the system's fault for placing so much emphasis on standardized programs. this is easily remedied. the real problem is folks that will use this to further some sort of agenda for segregation.

as far as the CA prison system, man, i wouldnt even know where to begin. that thing is in shambles and no one cares cuz no one sees it.

how's NYC?

how's NYC?

if you like shitty mexican food, over priced cigarettes, BUNK CACA WEED NY Diesel is more like a mini truck w/ no tires, ass weather, pink lacoste shirts, & oh so much more, it's great!
    see you july18th, jeff needs to pick my ass up, got walls to kill...

• grandpa_shiggrandpa_shig 5,799 Posts
    mmmmm...shitty mexican food.

i just went to the park labrea trader joes and as soon as i stepped in the door, the teddy bears came on!

• If you havent seen it I reccomend checking out the movie Boys of Baraka, Its about a group of students in the baltimore city public schools that get a chance to study abroad in Africa. Ive volunteered in some underpriveliged Baltimore schools and It is amazing what a little extra attention can do for the city youth.

mmmmm...shitty mexican food.

i just went to the park labrea trader joes and as soon as i stepped in the door, the teddy bears came on!

to funny i was just watchin court tv special on phil spector & homegirl was up in it talking about the making of the teddy bears & shit, when i drove her out to palm springs homie, she was singing that joint over & over, was way to fresh, 5am through the desert on a clear morning, ahh the memories...
    PEACE!