Dallas Austin is fucked in the game.

DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
edited July 2006 in Strut Central
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/5144000.stmApparently he appealed for a pardon, but this was obviously refused. Considering there are mandatory death sentences for possession in the UAE, I think he's been pretty lucky just to catch four years. I can't believe how naive dude was, though - check this quote from an earlier AP report;"I'm pleading guilty but by mistake," Austin was quoted as saying during a short hearing in Dubai. "I had no knowledge and no intention of violating the laws of the U.A.E."Er, in which countries are the possession and transportation of cocaine legal, then, Dallas?

Comments

• ZuffNomedZuffNomed 42 Posts
    Dog, I was just reading about shit like this man, drugs in other countries is a crime! Shit is crazy, i always thought it was more lax elsehwere...

http://travel.state.gov/travel/living/drugs/drugs_1237.html

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/5144000.stm

Apparently he appealed for a pardon, but this was obviously refused. Considering there are mandatory death sentences for possession in the UAE, I think he's been pretty lucky just to catch four years. I can't believe how naive dude was, though - check this quote from an earlier AP report;

"I'm pleading guilty but by mistake," Austin was quoted as saying during a short hearing in Dubai. "I had no knowledge and no intention of violating the laws of the U.A.E."

Er, in which countries are the possession and transportation of cocaine legal, then, Dallas?

come on, he had a little bit of yayo. Whats the big deal? That shit is stupid. He was dumb to bring it, but cut the guy a bit of slack. He doesnt deserve 4 years.

He should get a pardon cause hes an American. Cause Americans run shit.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/5144000.stm

Apparently he appealed for a pardon, but this was obviously refused. Considering there are mandatory death sentences for possession in the UAE, I think he's been pretty lucky just to catch four years. I can't believe how naive dude was, though - check this quote from an earlier AP report;

"I'm pleading guilty but by mistake," Austin was quoted as saying during a short hearing in Dubai. "I had no knowledge and no intention of violating the laws of the U.A.E."

Er, in which countries are the possession and transportation of cocaine legal, then, Dallas?

come on, he had a little bit of yayo. Whats the big deal? That shit is stupid. He was dumb to bring it, but cut the guy a bit of slack. He doesnt deserve 4 years.

He should get a pardon cause hes an American. Cause Americans run shit.

I wasn't trying to judge the dude, so apologies if it came off as if I was. Nevertheless, it's not like the average joe on the street wouldn't be aware of the risks involved, and the average joe would probably be looking at harder time if found guilty. Like I said, it just seems naive more than anything else - I don't think anyone would seriously believe the guy was pushing weight.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts

• 1219197712191977 323 Posts
    dude got lucky. i wonder why he even brought it with himself, you know theres got to be some at the model party he's going to? probly just forgot it was in there.

• hammertimehammertime 2,389 Posts

amazing. let's hear it for...uh...justice?

no doubt this dude isn't some Brad Pitt-level celeb, but I refuse to believe this would've played out the same way if he were just some sad American sucker no one had ever heard of.

• Mel_GibsonMel_Gibson 664 Posts

no doubt this dude isn't some Brad Pitt-level celeb, but I refuse to believe this would've played out the same way if he were just some sad American sucker no one had ever heard of.
    Of course it wouldn't have--that's not how the world works; Dallas Austin and "some sad American sucker" aren't on equal footing. If celebrity and money can't keep you out of jail then what's it good for?

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

Of course it wouldn't have--that's not how the world works; Dallas Austin and "some sad American sucker" aren't on equal footing. If celebrity and money can't keep you out of jail then what's it good for?

Dallas Austin >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Any person posting on SoulStrut not named Reynaldo or faux_rillz

What part of this is difficult to understand?

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts

Dallas Austin >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Any person posting on SoulStrut not named Reynaldo or faux_rillz

You obviously are jumping the gun a little bit there, buddy.

And Reynaldo is absolutely correct. It would have been a mockery of justice if he had NOT been pardoned.

• paulnicepaulnice 924 Posts

• they would hang him or life in jail in happy singapore

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

You obviously are jumping the gun a little bit there, buddy.

And Reynaldo is absolutely correct. It would have been a mockery of justice if he had NOT been pardoned.

I agree--it's shocking to me that dudes are complaining that his celebrity saved him from rotting in a Dubaian prison, when the critque should really be of Dubai's draconian drug policy.

• Options
    4 years is a lot for 1.26 grams, but someone who travels has to know how stupid that is. Sure, maybe to trinidad (on second thought who would bring coke to Trinidad) or some other caribbean island, but the Middle east????

K.

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    I am glad dallas austin is free. I would be kinda pissed if i lived there though, especially if i had peoples in jail for similar bullshit. I wouldnt blame it on dallas though even then.

• OneSoulOneSoul 206 Posts
    probly just forgot it was in there.

This thread reminded me of my short time as a drug smuggler...

a few years back I was sent over to Germany for work for about 3 weeks, pretty sweet deal, 5 star digs and a Mercedes rental. Anyway my last weekend there I cruise up to Amsterdam and well, procede to have an "Amster-DAMN good time"

I make it back to my hotel in Germany and have a few days left before I head back home to the states. I still have a few cubes of hash left but figure my last night there I'll get my party on and what I don't smoke will get flushed before I hit the airport.

needless to say that last night party was crazy, I was out of my head and ended up at some weird party in a wharehouse somewhere in the cuts? I lost the girl I was with who took me there... anyway I make it back to my Hotel with barely enough time to sleep for an hour before my flight, I comence to throw all my shit in my luggage, including my clothes from the night before all rolled up in a ball.

get checked in, hit the bar, board the plain.... All's good right? well somewhere over Greenland I was going through my mental checklist, to make sure I had wrapped everything up when.... "Fuck!!!" the hash is still in my pants....

All I had in my mind was Del's lyrics:

I got busted for less than a gram of hash
    they wanna cram my ass
    in the slammer
    that punk po-po
    bringin' back hash from Amsterdam is a no-no
    I didn't know they would catch me
    punk mutt fetch me
    stretched me out at Customs
    gotta bust 'em
    I can't call it
    they found it in my wallet
    now Customs got me
    and I just can't stall it

All the scenario's just had me trippin' I knew I was getting locked up and then lose my job because it was a business trip. I couldn't relax for the rest of the flight, but yet didn't want to drink in case I had to answer questions.

well I get to SFO, sweat on the brow and all (note: I would not make a cool smuggler) see the dudes with the sniffin' dogs, right as my bag pops up they are switching dog teams. What effin timing...

right through without a hitch. My friend picked me up and saw that I was physically shook, he just thought it was the flight.

well I waited until about 20 minutes down the 101 before I told him the story. He was all stoked like "dude your the illest ! bringing that shit back, let's smoke that shit now!"

I got it out and gave it to him, told him I made a deal with "the dude upstairs" and I'm not touching it...now I've got good lungs and well, a bad liver...

end of story

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    I used to fly with lala all the time. It was nothing. Nothing out of the country though, and not post 9/11 though, I don't fuck with nothing. Plus I always get fucked with.