Upgrade to MPC 1000 or a 2500?

Young_PhonicsYoung_Phonics 8,039 Posts
edited July 2006 in Strut Central
Thoughts ?I liee the 1000 because of it being so damn portable (I seriously get the feel to make beats at random times and they're usually not when i'm at home), but how are the effects and filters? what are the limitations? Does it really run on batteries? Sound Quality?the 2500I've the heard the effects and filters are great, excellent sound quality, nice screen w/ flash drive. Any draw backs? I'm sure the only difference is the size and $$$. Right now i'm using a regular-ass 2000

Comments

• get the 1000.

go to the akai forums and read up for yourself.

Basicly the 2500 has a tilt screen and costs a lot more.

THE 1000 IS THE TRUTH!
    filters are great etc.. etc.. etc. no complaints especially with the new O.S. is can whatever the other mpc's can. Except for the 4000.

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    4000! Any of them will do what you want, but im a 2000xl right now, and i gotta say the 4000 is definitely king of the heap. I wasnt much impressed with the 2500, feels like an overgrown 1000 to me. '

• having no tilt screen is a bitch, but it doesn't warrant the $1000.
    plus, there seems to be much more development on the 1000 since it came out first and already has a huge following.

• bboyparkzbboyparkz 549 Posts
    I have been thinking about moving from the 2000xl to the 1000 for some time now. it???s the size and portability of the 1000 that grabs me most. At work I can often have up to 6 hours downtime in an 8 hour shift, so I would love to be able to pull the MPC out of the backpack and make some beats rather than watch shitty TV for hours on end.

Now the 1000 has this OS upgrade I might just make the leap.

• UnherdUnherd 1,880 Posts
    At work I can often have up to 6 hours downtime in an 8 hour shift

What kind of work do you do?

Also I think I heard someone mention batteries, I might be wrong, but doesnt 1000 only run off the wall?

I thought trully portable MPC was still

At work I can often have up to 6 hours downtime in an 8 hour shift

What kind of work do you do?

Also I think I heard someone mention batteries, I might be wrong, but doesnt 1000 only run off the wall?

I thought trully portable MPC was still

I work in a train yard, and I only work when trains need moving, if they dont need moving I can just chill.

As for the MPC 1000 I dont believe it can run on batterys.

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    No battery for it, but you can always rock one of these

• canonicalcanonical 2,100 Posts
    I don't know anything about producing, but I was always under the assumption that the 1,000 lacks that feature "time stretching" or whatever? And that Akai took it out of the 1,000 on purpose so it didn't compete so much with the 2000?

• No battery for it, but you can always rock one of these

AHHhahahaaaa

• bobbydeebobbydee 849 Posts
    I don't know anything about producing, but I was always under the assumption that the 1,000 lacks that feature "time stretching" or whatever? And that Akai took it out of the 1,000 on purpose so it didn't compete so much with the 2000?

The timestretching is total ass either way, i don't know anyone who uses it seriously.

• canonicalcanonical 2,100 Posts
    Unfortunately that doesn't answer my question.

I don't really think I even understand "time stretching" anyway. Somehow altering the "length" of the sample without altering the "pitch"? Doesn't seem possible to me

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    I like my 2000 but would trade it in for a 1000... maybe.

• DigginDiggin 319 Posts
    There's an unofficial version of the OS for MPC1000 that has almost the functionality of the 2500, check mpc-forums.com.

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    Unfortunately that doesn't answer my question.

I don't really think I even understand "time stretching" anyway. Somehow altering the "length" of the sample without altering the "pitch"? Doesn't seem possible to me

yeah, its possible. Some people are real specific about how long each section or chop should be and timestrecth them all to the exact measure. Anymore though when im doing samples its usually just a big loop and quantize off everything. Its a bit harder, but the sound you get is way better,

Akai released an official OS that had time stretch and several other important/interesting additions, this really made me consider the 1000 for the first time.

But the real news is the new unofficial OS knocked up by some Japanese dude. He has (if I???m reading it correctly) put the many of the features of the 2500???s operating system into the 1000. Sounds like he bugs to iron out yet but this is an amazing achievement in the eyes of MPC 1000 owners.

• ZuffNomedZuffNomed 42 Posts
    I think I'd go with the 1000.
    It seems like it's gonna get a few more tweaks & tricks down the line.

I got a 3000LE but would still get a 1000 just to have.

Plus them new black models look saucy!

• sticky_dojahsticky_dojah New York City. 2,136 Posts
    I work in a train yard, and I only work when trains need moving, if they dont need moving I can just chill.

Commuter or Freight? Can I come over when you have your shift, bring some friends of mine and we could paint...maybe?

Commuter or Freight? Can I come over when you have your shift, bring some friends of mine and we could paint...maybe?

Commuter, freight is almost non existent over here now.

The yard I work at gets hit up all the time and seeing the pieces firsthand is one of the perks of the job as with the new anit-graf coatings on the train pieces never run down my part of the country anymore.

• Imperial_MaoImperial_Mao 1,119 Posts

Plus them new black models look saucy!

Sooo true, being tempted to buy one of these now thet have the 2.0 operating system and the tidy black paint job. Could I be tempted away from my sp1200??? Maybe...

• MjukisMjukis 1,675 Posts
    I have a 1000, which I'm liking and could recommend(the filters are real nice IMO, especially with the built-in compression). How do you upgrade the OS to 2.0 though?

I have a 1000, which I'm liking and could recommend(the filters are real nice IMO, especially with the built-in compression). How do you upgrade the OS to 2.0 though?

Oops my mistake, its version 1.02...:o

Info is here...

www.akaipro.com/supportos.html#MFC1000

• MjukisMjukis 1,675 Posts
    They're up to 1.07, didn't know that. Thanks!

They're up to 1.07, didn't know that. Thanks!

No problem...

There is also a japanese guy who has souped up the os system himself adding some new features i.e. grid editing, you can download the beta version from his site for free but a finished version will aparentley be available for roughly $30 !!!
    I dont have a link but you can check mpc forums...