WOW! (record store owner related)

shitzrshitzr 648 Posts
edited July 2006 in Strut Central
So i go into a record shop, bringing scraps from a collection i've bought to trade and i'm FLOORED by the owner when he asked/said:What's sweet soul?Who's this Cannonball Adderley?I've never seen this Hancock before [looking at VSOP].What's this Black Oak Arkansas? Is it rock or something?[looking at Spectrum] Billy Cobham? Damn, I know I've seen that name before...me: yeah, if you have any local bay area records, i'm bout it.him: okay. how do i know if they're from around the area?me: ummmmm, it'll say on the label.him: ooooohhhh. man, i guess that would make it an important thing to read the labels now.i left with his eddie drennon's "collage" and a test pressing of black sheeps "choice is yours" in exchange for a bob james one & two (later pressings), and shaft on pickwick.

Comments

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

i left with his eddie drennon's "collage" and a test pressing of black sheeps "choice is yours" in exchange for a bob james one & two (later pressings), and shaft on pickwick.

Doesn't seem like such a wild trade to me. You might have a
    slight edge, but any store in the US can get $10-$15 each for all 3 of those
    albums you traded in, and Eddie Drennon is like a $15-$25 LP at best.

I guess it comes down to the Black Sheep value, but I don't see test presses of
    common hip hop records fetching too much more than stock copies, and I see the OG
    of Wolf in Sheep's... on a weekly basis. Unless it has some value I'm unaware of.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    What he said

Eddie Drennon is harder to find than the records you traded in though

• I think I was in that store when you pulled that drennon(which was pretty beat). Did you have a "tell it like it is" 45 too? Thats the first time i ever been in there and it was cool. those two dudes running the shop might not be into raer bay heat but so what. It seemed like their story is like a lot of dudes that grew up in the bay breakdancing and into hip hop since the early eighties. And thats what they're still into. I can respect that. They aint sweating a vg collage when they have high powered rap test press, beat bop, peewee mel, super kids, etc sitting there. i can see bragging about pulling a klute ost from big al for $5(which is a good feeling let me tell you) but getting over on those two dudes for a black sheep twelve....cmon. Support good local sellers like those two and save the sonning for someone else.

If it happens that this was a different store/ drennon, etc, then by all means, son away.

• But you guys aren't fazed by the fact that someone owns a record store and doesn't know who Cannonball Adderly is?

• I think I was in that store when you pulled that drennon(which was pretty beat). Did you have a "tell it like it is" 45 too? Thats the first time i ever been in there and it was cool. those two dudes running the shop might not be into raer bay heat but so what. It seemed like their story is like a lot of dudes that grew up in the bay breakdancing and into hip hop since the early eighties. And thats what they're still into. I can respect that. They aint sweating a vg collage when they have high powered rap test press, beat bop, peewee mel, super kids, etc sitting there. i can see bragging about pulling a klute ost from big al for $5(which is a good feeling let me tell you) but getting over on those two dudes for a black sheep twelve....cmon. Support good local sellers like those two and save the sonning for someone else.

If it happens that this was a different store/ drennon, etc, then by all means, son away.

Oh wait, so this was the spot in N***s?

• wooshiewooshie 490 Posts
    But still1! not knowning who Billy Cobham is? C'mon!

It doesn't matter hip hop 12" person, If you're gonna run a record store you gotsa have a small amount of knowledge to save yourself from getting ripped off.

• me: yeah, if you have any local bay area records, i'm bout it.

*pulls out a crumpled printout of remar's want list...*

• me: yeah, if you have any local bay area records, i'm bout it.

I like your avatar Josh. Borgnine meets Princess Leia.

• But still1! not knowning who Billy Cobham is? C'mon!

It doesn't matter hip hop 12" person, If you're gonna run a record store you gotsa have a small amount of knowledge to save yourself from getting ripped off.

They didnt get ripped off...whether they know about "hot and nasty", etc doesnt matter...they obviously look everything up on the internet anyway so there aint no secrets. If you go in there and trade them your little feat lp for quintessence then it would be worth posting about.

• wooshiewooshie 490 Posts
    I wasn't saying they got ripped off in this instance, but no shit, I totally forgot about this internet thing, I'm always the dude who asks about something I could of just google searched.

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    Yeah...

I mean, you didn't get massively over on the store, but for those guys not to know Adderley and Cobham. I mean, I know old style ma-and-pa record proprietors over here that know Cannonball Adderley and Billy Cobham!

• shitzrshitzr 648 Posts
    1st: the drennon and blacksheep records hold waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay more personal value to me than those common ass records. monetarily i didn't get over that much, but yo...would you be down for that trade? so i guess i should change that "sonned" graemlin to

2nd: tick, which guy were you? one of the santa cruz guys or the dude who came at the homie like, "yeah, right now i'm into really deep acid type psych, you know, RARE[/b] stuff"?

i wasn't trying to rip them off. i also knew about the thing people call the internet on which homie could look up the record prices online anyway. those guys are good peeps, for real. i chopped it up with them until 6:30 or so, talking about records, exchanging dj stories, and hipping them to the game, and random life stuff.

my whole point was that dude has ZERO knowledge of records... naw fuck that, MUSIC other than old school and electro hip hop yet owns and runs a record store. dude, his section of expertise is only a fifth of the store. for god's sake he's been collecting for 20 years and didn't know you could tell what area the record is from just by reading the label.

i'm not trying to shit on his business. notice i haven't even dropped a name. i'm actually concerned about his success, because in this business you HAVE to know your shit to be able to afford an office lease AND to put food on the table for your family.

3rd: please tell me where i can sell non-gatefold bob james 1&2, and soulmann's shaft for $15 because i can definitely use the $300

and yo the drennon plays vg++

• shitzrshitzr 648 Posts

me: yeah, if you have any local bay area records, i'm bout it.

hahahahaha. i said bay area records in general, not bay rap exclusively! and yo, my man has remar's wantlist tacked on the wall where everyone can see it. no joke, that list took up an entire page. remar, you're locced out holmes!

• 2nd: tick, which guy were you? one of the santa cruz guys or the dude who came at the homie like, "yeah, right now i'm into really deep acid type psych, you know, RARE[/b] stuff"?
    i'm from santa cruz. Tall guy with a blue beanie.
    I only posted about this because that store was a pleasant suprise and the two guys running it seemed like good peeps. It seems like they would actually be pretty happy getting something like mardi gras, I just don't think they would brag about sonning you on a message board afterwards. It is pretty crazy to have been collecting that long and not know who cannonball and cobham are but whatever, Im not mad at em. Or you--glad you knocked off some personal wants. I was the guy in there you shouldve talked to about some trades for bay raers. Just dont try and come with red clay and mountain live. Peace.