Chicago

jjfad027jjfad027 1,594 Posts
edited June 2006 in Strut Central
I just found out I'll be going there for work from the 6th thru the 14th for work. I've never been so I'm excited.Plaese to recommend any record stores/spots? or food spots! (esp pizza)Any advice is apriciated. Thanks

Comments

• hammertimehammertime 2,389 Posts
    i will be there next week, but Hot Doug's will be closed! So sad. If you're there until the 14th you should be able to hit it up though. Instead we're going to Superdawg, Weiner Circle, and Fat Johnny's. Did I mention this was a one-day trip?

• nrichnrich 932 Posts

http://www.soulstrut.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=662928&page=0&fpart=1&vc=1

there may be some older threads, but the search function seems to only reach 3 months back

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    Superdawg

Great stuff.

• soulmarcosasoulmarcosa 4,296 Posts
    Sultan's Market for falafel. Just watch your $20 bills.

"That's your change. You gave me a ten."

• luckluck 4,077 Posts

Were you actually out $10? The dudes who work there can be worse than record store clerks, in the Snoot Dept.

• soulmarcosasoulmarcosa 4,296 Posts

Were you actually out $10? The dudes who work there can be worse than record store clerks, in the Snoot Dept.

Luckily, this didn't happen to me. Meaty told me about this phenomenon on my second day in Chicago, and I witnessed it firsthand on my third day as the guy in front of me got shortchanged.

"Um, I gave you a twenty."

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    That happened to me when I last went there (about two years ago). I can't remember if I got taken or not. Some of those guys are straight assholes. Two of them literally laughed at my girlfriend and talked Arabic shit in front of her face when she asked if they had pickled beets (not at all outlandish for the cuisine) for her pita. That never happened to her in Brooklyn. Maybe if she wasn't white, it wouldn't have happened.

• man, that's lame it happened to visitors alike chicagoans, but the food's @ sultan's is okey. just had a chicken falafel there today.

>>>someone mentioned PIZZA and i have gone thru 6 years of downer pieces in the shy.

i'm rather picky with what's good and if you're not from wisconsin or vermont---you prolly won't dig the notorious deep dish platter but who knows...i recently found something to counter these words:

PEQUOD's [/b]

http://centerstage.net/restaurants/pequods.html

"There are approximately 2,000 pizza joints in Chicago, but only about 10 of them are regularly lauded and staunchly defended as the best. Pequod's, named after the whaling ship from Moby Dick, is one of those 10.

The blue vinyl awning..."

check it out and while you're at it---hollerback at counterpoint for some good honest grub!

if that what it do for you,
    risa