Recommend some Loner/Outsider Shit

NateBizzoNateBizzo 2,328 Posts
edited June 2006 in Strut Central
Whatever that really is. Please explain.BTW: I've been listening to a lot of psych over the last few months and still nothing compares to the D.R. Hooker.

Comments

• hammertimehammertime 2,389 Posts
    Nicodemus from MI.

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts

There's a time for living
    Time keeps on flying
    Think you're loving baby
    But all your doing is crying
    Can you feel
    Are those feelings real
    Look at your game, girl...

• coffinjoecoffinjoe 1,743 Posts
    Whatever that really is. Please explain.

BTW: I've been listening to a lot of psych over the last few months and still nothing compares to the D.R. Hooker.

real headz know the deal

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    dude, you are hella behind the times. It's all about double private loners now. shhhheeesh...

• DrJoelDrJoel 932 Posts

There's a time for living
    Time keeps on flying
    Think you're loving baby
    But all your doing is crying
    Can you feel
    Are those feelings real
    Look at your game, girl...

Charles Manson doesn't even know his last name anymore
    Charles Manson's real name was Charles Krautmeyer
    He's forgotten it
    Charles Manson had a buncha people
    Who believed his every word
    Who followed his directions
    To cut up buncha rich people
    Would they still have done it
    If they'd known his name was Krautmeyer
    I kinda doubt it

Charles Manson made a shitty album
    Not too long before he got a buncha people
    To believe his every word
    And follow his directions
    To cut up buncha rich people
    Would they still have done it if they'd heard his shitty album
    I kinda doubt it

Ooo-ooo-ooo-ooo-ooo-ooo-ooo-ooo-OOOOOOOO

Marilyn Manson took the last name of Charlie Manson
    He didn't take the name Marilyn Krautmeyer
    If he was called Marilyn Krautmeyer
    I bet no adults with large straws up their asses
    Would try to cancel any of his concerts
    The way they do with Marilyn Manson
    I think he should be called Marilyn Krautmeyer
    He'd probably get to play a few more concerts
    And maybe he wouldn't sell quite as many of his shitty albums
    But at least the truth would be out that

Ooo-ooo-ooo-ooo-ooo-ooo-ooo-ooo-OOOOOOOO

Charles Manson really was a lucky guy
    People didn't hear his shitty album
    People didn't know his name was Krautmeyer
    His followers never saw him pick his nose
    Which I understand he liked to do a lot

There's another verse but it wasnt on the lyrics page i was out and now i am rolling out for the long weekend. Peace.

-Dan Bern (who also has a song called Tiger Woods thats about how big his balls are)

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    Whatever that really is. Please explain.

BTW: I've been listening to a lot of psych over the last few months and still nothing compares to the D.R. Hooker.

snoozers will lose.

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    [/img]

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    Here is my fave of the genre along with a review I wrote for it last year.

The Pacific Northwest is a dark, dank place, with a suicide rate higher than Keith Richards on a four day binge. Even their most articulate native son, Kurt Cobain, drowned in the sea of despair and offed himself. And what's the cause of this environmental depression??? It may be the constant grey skies and rain, it may be the extremely high runaway and homeless rate or it just may very well be the music of Bob Desper. Bob recorded his "New Sounds" LP in one take at the local Rose City Sound studios. Just him, his acoustic guitar and an amazing insight to the dark side of the human psyche. So dark in fact, that only a blind man can see it. Bob is that man, and on this LP he taps into a place that very few people have visited. His voice is quiet with an edge sharper than a Ginzu knife. His lyrics reflect a lonely man who recognizes the shortcomings of human kind. This LP gives me goosebumps each and every time I play it. Side one starts off with "Darkness Is Like A Shadow". A spooky, echoey tune where Bob introduces a topic that becomes a re-occurring theme throughout the entire LP, the fact that people with eyesight are blind to the things that are truly important in life. "It's Too Late" and "Lonely Man" follow and continue the introspective soul search, all accompanied by Bob's extraordinary guitar playing. The fourth and last cut on side one is "To A Friend Of Mine". This is where I usually start thinking about going into the bathroom and slitting my wrist with a razor blade just to prove to Bob that I could begin to understand what true suffering is. This 15+ minute journey is, in my opinion, the most flawless chunk of downer/loner folk music ever recorded. Side two is good, but pales in comparison to it's flip side. Songs are "Let It Shine For You", "Don't You Cry For Me", "Liberty" and "Time Is Almost Over".

I keep on hoping I bump into that Bob Desper here in the NW as its at the top of my want list. Craig aka recordmonger sold one about 6 months ago.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    I keep on hoping I bump into that Bob Desper here in the NW as its at the top of my want list. Craig aka recordmonger sold one about 6 months ago.

Craig is the one who turned me on to the LP

• progbeatzprogbeatz 451 Posts
    Here is my fave of the genre along with a review I wrote for it last year.

The Pacific Northwest is a dark, dank place, with a suicide rate higher than Keith Richards on a four day binge. Even their most articulate native son, Kurt Cobain, drowned in the sea of despair and offed himself. And what's the cause of this environmental depression??? It may be the constant grey skies and rain, it may be the extremely high runaway and homeless rate or it just may very well be the music of Bob Desper. Bob recorded his "New Sounds" LP in one take at the local Rose City Sound studios. Just him, his acoustic guitar and an amazing insight to the dark side of the human psyche. So dark in fact, that only a blind man can see it. Bob is that man, and on this LP he taps into a place that very few people have visited. His voice is quiet with an edge sharper than a Ginzu knife. His lyrics reflect a lonely man who recognizes the shortcomings of human kind. This LP gives me goosebumps each and every time I play it. Side one starts off with "Darkness Is Like A Shadow". A spooky, echoey tune where Bob introduces a topic that becomes a re-occurring theme throughout the entire LP, the fact that people with eyesight are blind to the things that are truly important in life. "It's Too Late" and "Lonely Man" follow and continue the introspective soul search, all accompanied by Bob's extraordinary guitar playing. The fourth and last cut on side one is "To A Friend Of Mine". This is where I usually start thinking about going into the bathroom and slitting my wrist with a razor blade just to prove to Bob that I could begin to understand what true suffering is. This 15+ minute journey is, in my opinion, the most flawless chunk of downer/loner folk music ever recorded. Side two is good, but pales in comparison to it's flip side. Songs are "Let It Shine For You", "Don't You Cry For Me", "Liberty" and "Time Is Almost Over".

Damn...I really want to hear this.

"This is Almost Over","It's Too Late" ??? Sounds like fun.

here's another record outta Oregon that I've been digging lately. more hippie folk than loner folk with a few nice instrumental tracks...

http://www.popsike.com/php/detaildata.php?itemnr=4794767813

• personperson 3 Posts
    whats the deal with gary atkinson - wanderin soul?, im very intrested in knowing any info on this.

• Whatever that really is. Please explain.

If you like D.R. Hooker try Ant Trip Ceremony. As far as loner business Gary Higgins is my shit as is Perry Leopold. Other psych I've been listening to: Mario Schifano,the David, Le Orme, Phafner, Plastic Cloud, Indian Summer, Bokaj Retsiem, Finchley Boys, Francisco, Mu, Christopher, Josefus, George Brigman, A New Dawn. I don't know if you've heard these or what, but they're all worth seeking out in my opinion. A New Dawn is probably my favorite of that bunch, but Plea From the Soul by Phafner is probably the most mindblowing track. Reissue only unless you have six grand to spend on a 25 minute record.