The Critics Love Them, But You Just Don't Get It

124»

Comments

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,896 Posts
    BTW, on the subject of being bigger than Jesus, what happened to MC 900FT Jesus? I am too lazy to google at this point in the day's proceedings. It's more fun to ask.

• DrJoelDrJoel 932 Posts
    I don't know Beck's product at all. I do know it has always been hyped bigger than Jesus or whatever. I would be v. determined to close my mind tighter than the foundation stones of The Great Pyramid when it came to listening to something like this.

Anyway, 9 years ago I was on Bondi Beach and heard this band soundchecking. There was no-one around really. I thought they were local? They sounded pretty tight though and the tune they were checking was catchy.

When I got back some dude is raving on about Beck playing the beach and how it's > Jesus etc... I told him I saw them checking earlier and it was some tune about pollution. He dug out this CD and played me the same tune. But the album sounded like nothing special. It was alright, I suppose. I mean, the dude has some talent, and I probably would have sat through the gig.

But I mean, you watch Beck sing a tune live and then, if you could, watch Aretha sing something nice, not one of her stereotypical shouty numbers, it would be z0rs for anyone with a pulse.

What I am saying is, you have to be in the mood to take in the likes of Beck, Radiohead with all the clever you-have-to-know-the-meaning-of-the-song stuff. Like "Modern Art", whatever that is.

Wheras Aretha or Miles could pop out the suffering of all humanity in one note.

Or something like that.

Huh?

Is this a comparison? i agree with your second to last line but you are clearly talking about different worlds here altogether.

YOU may have to be in the mood to take some of that stuff in. Beck is ok, i cant do a bunch of his stuff. Not all music that is good music is face melting or nothing would be face melting.

i really like the Beck album Mutations, i don't recall seeing it mentioned here. His first slow one. Some loner, etc but a few other kinds of tunes as well. i give the guy credit because he does have all kinds of pop credo and all that but it isnt just a team of people pushing buttons for him. Midnight Vultures is a fun album at times.

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts

cunts.

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,896 Posts
    What I am saying is that Beck tends to fall into the "The Critics Love Them, But You Just Don't Get" category for most folks here, who then go on to bash him.

But I say he's got some talent, unlike teh hatters.

But I say Aretha > Beck on the talent scale. Teh critics are only interested in the "Freshest" stuff of course. You are allowed to "Quote" the past but never "Sound dated".

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    i liked the beck song 'Deborah' thats some funny shit.
    and co-sign on MC 900ft Jesus, what happenned to that dude? ahhh bucketbongs... those were the days...

Goatboy! 2 arseholes? sweet! i would have demanded a look, cmon man, that is too cool.

man if i had 2 arseholes i would be invincible, i would rule this planet and all you one asshole having plebs would bow down to my doubleness.

cant believe you didnt look.

...not even a peek?

• DrJoelDrJoel 932 Posts
    What I am saying is that Beck tends to fall into the "The Critics Love Them, But You Just Don't Get" category for most folks here, who then go on to bash him.

But I say he's got some talent, unlike teh hatters.

But I say Aretha > Beck on the talent scale. Teh critics are only interested in the "Freshest" stuff of course. You are allowed to "Quote" the past but never "Sound dated".

i know where you're coming from, no doubt.

But Aretha vs. Beck? i just don't find the two comparable is all that i'm saying and by that i mean that i don't know what grounds you could possible draw comparison on.

• kitchenknightkitchenknight 4,922 Posts

cunts.

This band is lost on me, especially their output of the last ten years. And, living in Boston, every time they come around on another tour, everyone shits themselves like it is christ returning.

• DrJoelDrJoel 932 Posts

cunts.

This band is lost on me, especially their output of the last ten years. And, living in AMERICA, every time they come around on another tour, everyone shits themselves like it is christ returning.

Yeah i just don't understand the hype, the music, or Bono. i am an unapologetic Bono hatter.

• DrJoelDrJoel 932 Posts
    Yessir!

Rahsaan's name does not belong in this thread IMO. First of all because he was subject to a great deal of critisism back in days for for being a perpertrator of gimmicks, but if you look past the initial wow-effect of his technical skill, he was simply a great and emotional musician whose influence reached beyond the jazz idiom, especially when it comes to his flute playing.

Was it that Wax Po article on Herbie Mann that they were talking about Herbie not wanting to share the stage with him? Now i forget where i read that...it was pretty recently. Anyone?

Ahhhh anyway. Was there ever discussion about TJ Kirk? My boy has the CD and i heard it once, but never got around to giving it a full check out.

• UnherdUnherd 1,880 Posts

But I say Aretha > Beck on the talent scale.
    On what planet is this a controversial statement?

I like a lot of Becks stuff, but everyone knows he's famous because scientology controls the media...

• I dont get lady soveriegn. that shit is annoying.

talk about new music to me and I usually havent heard the music but Ive heard the name drop 20 times. a group I am feeling on a recomendation right now is chromeo. they have captured the essence.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    I wasnt checkin for Beck when he first appeared, but understood who would be attracted to his approach.
    Years later a co-worker had me sit down w/ moneys catalog and I can say I like Beck. Mutations is my shit.
    And I like rap.

U2 at this point is a franchise. Youll see every major mag praise these mofos. They should have stopped after Joshua Tree. Some cats Im sure will say their cut off point was before that. Dudes are in the upper echelon of money rock bands. I dont see 'em.

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    cosign on the Gnarls Barkley...when we got that into the shop we listened to it to see what all the hype was about. It is unlistenable garbage. as shingaling put it..."sounds like the cc winans produced by Outkast". Truly horrible music.

I am outta touch nowadys with what the critics love, but glancing over at our magazine racks for the last year, if I dont see the names Interpol, Will Oldham, or the Flaming Lips ever again I wont be disappointed(and I used to be a HUGE Flaming Lips fan, fuck, I even followed them around for a bit in the early 90s...but the last albums have been trite, for lack of a better word). Let me also add the Kings Of Leon to that list, they are supposed to be the "saving grace" of Southern Rock but a reincarnated Ronnie Van Zandt wouldnt piss on them if they were on fire I bet.