The Critics Love Them, But You Just Don't Get It

Comments

• theory9theory9 1,128 Posts
    oh my god Joanna Newsom...only the second time in my life I've resold a record the same day I bought it.

Was "Please Hammer Don't Hurt 'Em" the other time?

• I have no idea.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    I always forget about that record... that is actually a good Beck record (cuz its completely unlike all the others, at least from what I've heard)

• hammertimehammertime 2,389 Posts
    oh my god Joanna Newsom...only the second time in my life I've resold a record the same day I bought it.

Was "Please Hammer Don't Hurt 'Em" the other time?

no i've actually never owned that album amazingly. the only other time was some Free Kitten piece of trash I got duped into checking out.

• LamontLamont 1,089 Posts
    deej, there's too much hate in y'r heart

• progbeatzprogbeatz 451 Posts
    Pavement

The Pixies

The Raincoats (please)

The Replacements

Television (That's right,I said it)

Violent Femmes (I've walked out of record stores while this shit was on.As soon as hear that whiny tongue in cheek bullshit I wanna start stomping puppies)

• crazypoprockcrazypoprock 1,037 Posts
    beck's best song is still "loser" which actually is kinda funky and has a breakbeat the whole song...i have a 12" promo of it...kinda fun to dj it out at the right party.

Yeah, but you don't like rap

yeah right. and obviously you don't like rock. or anything that isn't currently on hot 97.

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts

Devendra Banhart

OK , here's one I don't get. His 2-bit Marc Bolan vocal style is bothersome.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    I have no idea.

I thought Sea Change was decent for a modern Loner Folk LP.

But shit, I liked the acoustic disc of the last double Foo Fighters CD.

• I have no idea.

Sea Change is real nice. A little *too* depressing really, and I started to enjoy it much less after I heard Gainsbourg's "Melodie Nelson".

• theory9theory9 1,128 Posts

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    Lily Allen and Uffie.

• kitchenknightkitchenknight 4,922 Posts

are very good records. maybe even classic.

I would definitely call the last two classics; no dissent there. But, those albums do not mean everything those bands have ever touched turn to gold, and they get a free critical blowjob card for the rest of their careers.

I should retract my original comment re: Pavement and GBV. Because the same would apply to the groups I listed.

I can't really think anything relatively* new that demonstrated any kind of consistent progress.

*Slanted and Enchanted came out almost 15 years ago.

I think Pavement's run from S&E-->Brighten the Corners was great, and they were all different. "Wowee Zowee" back to back with "Crooked Rain".

GbV had the big three in the middle, and I would put those over any run of three from Wilco or Radiohead (yeah, I said it.)

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts

are very good records. maybe even classic.

While undeniably a good album I always much preferred The Bends. Less whiney, better songs IMO.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    Fugazi....zzzzzzzzzzz

seriously

Mine:

Sonic Youth
    The Fall
    Radiohead
    Coldplay
    Wilco

Fugazi....zzzzzzzzzzz

seriously

Mine:

Sonic Youth
    The Fall
    Radiohead
    Coldplay
    Wilco

What about the Kinks?

• goatboygoatboy 371 Posts
    Whatever. We all have opinions and assholes.

I'm sorry, but this totally reminded me of a story I haven't thought about in ages. When I was working at a Waldenbooks we got this new manager in who was a total lunatic and a compulsive liar. Among other untruths, she actually tried to convince us that she was born with two assholes. This would be laughable except for the fact that she actually seemed to believe it herself! No joke. She almost had me convinced...

Ok, back to your regularly scheduled program...

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    I agree with every name listed in this thread, especially the ones i have never heard. except for:

Fennesz

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts
    The Flaming Lips "Do you realize?" >>> perfect song my ass, I never understood what the critics were talking about. That song is horrible

she actually tried to convince us that she was born with two assholes.

This is a common symptom of a rare body dysmorphic disorder reported by gender disoriented females. It's slightly different from transsexualism. Did she claim that her clitoris is a very small penis? Nevermind. What really matters is... did you look?

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    The music behind beck has always been enjoyable to me, but I hate his singing and voice and lyrics. But the music... That was the dust brothers right? the Paul's Boutique guys? The music was pretty good.

98% of everything on the radio, regardless of genre, is complete garbage. The other 2% is that which I proclaim to be genius. If its not genius its garbage.

I can only name a few acts/groups/whatever out RIGHT NOW that are genius. And when I mention them here, nobody has ever heard of them.

Until my old rap heroes start making grown folk music I will stick with classical music and my rackord collection. Sounds bitter, but it feels just fine!

• I'm sorry, but this totally reminded me of a story I haven't thought about in ages. When I was working at a Waldenbooks we got this new manager in who was a total lunatic and a compulsive liar. Among other untruths, she actually tried to convince us that she was born with two assholes. This would be laughable except for the fact that she actually seemed to believe it herself! No joke. She almost had me convinced...

Could she fart in stereo?? That's the test....

i don't understand how to not like something i haven't heard. is time travel involved?

Pretty much any rock band from the past 10 years that got critical adulation stinks

But my nomination for one of the more egregiously worshipped folls:

Beck

This dude's music is trash.

And: if you like this dude, you do not like rap.

is dude's stuff even marginally related to rap anymore? last i heard, and this is a minute ago, he was on some weird electroclash shit or something. i'm not standing up for dude, i'm just sayin.

I have no idea. I have heard exactly two Beck songs in my life--both during the summer of 1996 when I had a construction job at which the other guys liked to listen to rock radio. They were both toneless whiteboy cod-rapping... the sort of sin against music that one can never ever atone for.

there were dudes on a construction site who don't like rap?

and plaese to elaborate on this "cod-rapping"

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts

M.I.A.

Glad I'm not the only one.

Speaking of the Flaming Lips and Cat Power, I recently saw some televised concert that the Flaming Lips did, and they brought out Cat Power to sing "War Pigs," a song that she apparently knew only in name. She garbled most of the lyrics and sang rather disturbingly flat. And right beside her was Wayne Coyne, decked out in the white suit as always, but before beginning the song, he had smeared fake blood on his forehead, so it was an, erm, interesting visual.

I'm sorry, but this totally reminded me of a story I haven't thought about in ages. When I was working at a Waldenbooks we got this new manager in who was a total lunatic and a compulsive liar. Among other untruths, she actually tried to convince us that she was born with two assholes. This would be laughable except for the fact that she actually seemed to believe it herself! No joke. She almost had me convinced...

She was a be bop farting master.
    She farted in any note plus its flatted fifth!

she actually tried to convince us that she was born with two assholes.

This is a common symptom of a rare body dysmorphic disorder reported by gender disoriented females. It's slightly different from transsexualism. Did she claim that her clitoris is a very small penis? Nevermind. What really matters is... did you look?

Is this for real?!
    It wouldn't surprise me as she was very fucked up in the head.

And no, I decided that looking would definitely be

• I'm sorry, but this totally reminded me of a story I haven't thought about in ages. When I was working at a Waldenbooks we got this new manager in who was a total lunatic and a compulsive liar. Among other untruths, she actually tried to convince us that she was born with two assholes. This would be laughable except for the fact that she actually seemed to believe it herself! No joke. She almost had me convinced...

She was a be bop farting master.
    She farted in any note plus its flatted fifth!

A reg'lar Rahsaan Roland Fart....

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    I wholeheartedly agree with the overrated shite that is Radiohead, Coldplay & The Pixies and add The Libertines.