Sam Cooke

hammertimehammertime 2,389 Posts
edited June 2006 in Strut Central
Shit was always like this in Memphis. The last time he had been in town, they had run out of gas, and he had sent Charlie to get some. While he was waiting for Charles to come back, a white policeman pulled up and told him to move the car. Sam explained the situation, but the policeman had no interest. "Well, push it, then," he said. Sam drew himself up to his full height. He was a singer, he told the policeman. His name was Sam Cooke, and he didn't push cars. If Frank Sinatra was there, he said, "you wouldn't ask him to push no car." Charles was back by now, trying to get his brother's attention, but Sam just shook him off. If it was all that important, he suggested to the policeman, "You push the fucking car. You may not know who I am," he said, "but your wife does. Go home and ask your wife about me." Dream Boogie is a great read.

Comments

• Best voice ever, imo.

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    Best voice ever, imo.

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    Best voice ever imo.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    Best voice ever imo.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Best voice ever imo.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Best voice ever imo.

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    'A change is gonna come' is possibly the most hypnotic soul song ever penned. It's one of those songs that ALWAYS makes the hairs on my neck stand on end. It's just... electrifying. I'll also never forget the way they used it near the end of the Malcolm X movie.

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    dude had a way with the ladies. best church music ever.

• Diamante_DDiamante_D 215 Posts
    Best voice ever imo.

Oh, and with a double helping of:

'A change is gonna come' is possibly the most hypnotic soul song ever penned. It's one of those songs that ALWAYS makes the hairs on my neck stand on end. It's just... electrifying. I'll also never forget the way they used it near the end of the Malcolm X movie.

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    "You push the fucking car. You may not know who I am," he said, "but your wife does. Go home and ask your wife about me."

just listening to Mr. Cooke this morning.

• waxjunkywaxjunky 1,850 Posts
    ACIGC is an epic epic -- but would you consider it his greatest song/your favorite Same Cooke song? Tough question...

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,390 Posts
    dude had a way with the ladies. best church music ever.

You mean dude had his way with the ladies. Cooke's reputation wasn't exactly that of a gentleman when it came to getting what he wanted from girls.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts

if you know what i mean...