funk geek moments out in the real world

shitzrshitzr 648 Posts
edited June 2006 in Strut Central
today: the international film channel played a cover of salt's "hung up" for one of their commercials.three weeks ago: standing in line at a starbucks, i heard a familiar baseline. then i came to realize that it was dorando's "let my people go". coincidentaly, two blocks away from that starbucks is jinx's house.anyone else have those geeky moments?

Comments

• DeeRockDeeRock 1,836 Posts
    Fuck yes! All day. Me and Big Chan were just discussing this. He was at the grocery store and they were playing Herb Albert "rise" and the break come in and he started singing and bobbing his head all aloud "Biggie, biggie, biggie" and everyone just looked him crazy!

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    Preme, clean out your PMs!

• mordecaimordecai 2,204 Posts
    i told my best friend yesterday about how Drewn had lost an avatar bet and had to rock Shaq from Diesel... my friend said that was the nerdiest thing ever ...(while he proudly rocked a Halo t-shirt)

not funky, but definitely geeky

• I was eating lunch at chipotle (yeah yeah, mcdonalds owned. I was downtown and wanted a burrito) and over the cranking over the speakers was eddie bo's - hook and sling.

I was confused to say the least.

• They play good music there. I work 3 blocks from one and grab a few tacos from time to time.

• Young_PhonicsYoung_Phonics 8,039 Posts
    I was at some coffee shop on melrose and they where playing some break that Little Brother used (it's that one joint where they rap all the doug e. fresh, kool g rap, and slick rick rhymes...). That's real wild someone at corporate is putting Little Brother samples in rotation.

• i work at a grocery store, and the classic soul station gets a lot of play there, i frequently tell customers that i am ringing up about the song that is currently playing and i let them know that i think its a jam

theres a dude i work with who does the same thing, but he does it while the 80's rock/ or contemporary adult rock channels are one, he's a rod stuart(stewart) head fer real

• oxnardcoreoxnardcore 141 Posts
    speaking of corporate chains with good soundtracks, the Souplantation in West Hollywood/Beverly Hills has a surprisingly funky/soulful soundtrack playing in the background...

and i don't know if this counts, but there always seems to be a couple of break nerds at Funky Sole who go off when egon, cut, or miles plays an original sample of something. for example, last nite egon put on the song shadow sampled for the untitiled track on his first lp. almost immediately there were some audible "whaaaaat?!"'s and "oooooohhhh!!"'s coming from the dance floor. i mean, to be honest i kinda geeked out too, but i thought it was hilarious that other dorks in the spot just had to make their nerdosity known...

• Young_PhonicsYoung_Phonics 8,039 Posts
    nerdosity

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    watching a boot DVD of Nacho Libre with a buddy who isnt a funk head, and the scene where Jack nails dude with the beehive comes on and Ugly Custard playing..."Cool, Ugly Custard! I have that record!" my friend just looked at me, and said "what the hell are you talking about?"