The White Rapper

HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
edited June 2006 in Strut Central
I've got as much love for the white MC as anyone. I mean, I totally ride for.............ummmmmmmmmmm, why am I drawing a blank? Dammit, I've already sabotaged my own post. Anyway, it's not that I don't think that a white MC could be decent on the mic. I'm wondering why there are so damned many white mc's out there...you know, regularly "holding it down" at an underground spot near you. And even more importantly, why do so many of them have to insist that their music is superior to that coming out of actual black neighborhoods with actual rap fans?Point being, am I wrong in thinking that white rockist, suburban rap is for the shit-birds? Actually, I know the answer to that. I've just reached a new level of annoyance by way of these bearded clowns and I knew that this would be a good place to pile it on. If you call yourself a rapper and you are scared to go to the hood, then please call yourself a joker instead. If you say you are saving the world from Laffy Taffy and the best alternative you have to offer is 1994 Lite, then shut the eff up already. If you are freestyling and God-help-me you mention that you are freestyling one more damned time, I'm gonna stuff an agitated porcupine in your pie hole. Why can't the use of daddy's credit card to bring a semi-big rap name to your podunk scene be enough? Do you really have to put your crew of rambunctious dirtweed denizons on the bill as well? Add on...

Comments

• meatyogremeatyogre 2,080 Posts
    worse than said annoyinng breed of white rappers are the rap jam bands. even worse are the rap jam bands with said annoying rambunctious white rappers!

• Imperial_MaoImperial_Mao 1,119 Posts
    I've got as much love for the white MC as anyone. I mean, I totally ride for.............ummmmmmmmmmm,

How about Serch ???

Or does he not count know he is in "retirement" ???

IMO the best "white" MC ever....

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts
    i thought this thread was going to be about that white rapper show that ego trip was doing for vh1.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Everlast > Serch............

I thought the white rapper thing was solved back in the Beastie Boys era?

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    I've got as much love for the white MC as anyone. I mean, I totally ride for.............ummmmmmmmmmm,

How about Serch ???

As for walking parodies, I like Paul Wall much more than I ever cared for MC Serch.

How about Serch ???

I gotta ride for local fav E.C. Illa . "Makin white boys wanna rap". Dude was ahead of his time in many ways, and very talented at beats and raps (still is).

As for walking parodies, I like Paul Wall much more than I ever cared for MC Serch.

????????????????????????

I'm wondering why there are so damned many white mc's out there...

Check American History.

C'mon guys, this thread isn't about offering select white mc's praise. It's about clowning them back to pinstripes and lollipops.

There is no accounting for taste is there...

• When does the follow-up thread, "The White HipHop Critic" gonna get posted?

meaty, y're not gonna rep for Qwel? i know, we were told not to, nevermind.....

Back to the again...

When does the follow-up thread, "The White HipHop Critic" gonna get posted?

Go ahead and criticize something that I've written then, Mr. Sidewayz.

Back to the again...

C'mon guys, this thread isn't about offering select white mc's praise. It's about clowning them back to pinstripes and lollipops.

see to me this type of thread is kinda retarded cuz no matter who types the post, you either just look "too cool for school" or kinda racist. I agree theres far more corny white dudes tryin to rap than black dudes nowadays for the most part out in the world. But what is the real purpose of a thread like this? I'm sure we could come up with just as many latino black or whatever "non-white" rappers who are just as corny and annoyingly rambunctious as said white dudes. I can think of few quality rappers in general these days anyways, white or "non-white". Either way, I still cant stand fucking jam bands or camoflauge cargo short wearing rappers jumping up and down saying "when I'm on the mic"

That said, I find this local dude to be one of the corniest white rappers I have ever had to witness in person.... even though he may be a nice guy or whatever.

http://thisguyrocks.com/photos.html

• djJazzOnedjJazzOne 302 Posts
    I remember a few years ago when the Quannum tour came through here. I went to go see it. I had seen Blackalicious just kill it with De La Soul at a private party a year before. I was kinda feeling Lifesavas. I thought they were alright as far as nerd hop. I dug that track where they were talking with there past and futures selves. It was one of the weirdest hip hop show experiences I have ever had.
    It didn't feel like a hip hop show. I looked at the crowd and wondered did I stumbled into a Dave Matthews show? Was Weezer going to play? I looked around and noticed there were like nine black people there. Most of them were on stage. The show was good but it never felt right.
    Who is that white cat from Minn that claims to be black because his father was black? I don't think it counts if it is your stepfather.
    Those who are into the "so-called underground" often act as if what they are into is vastly superior. Most of them were listening to emo a few months prior. Cats who don't understand why T.R.O.Y. is one of the best songs ever recorded.
    I could go on and on. What is all boils down to is it is Rock and Roll all over again.

• When does the follow-up thread, "The White HipHop Critic" gonna get posted?

Go ahead and criticize something that I've written then, Mr. Sidewayz.

Haha. I keed mang. Besides, how could I, it's all SPUN GOLD!!

I guess I could criticize some of the shit you wrote in the NBA Finals thread.....

What is all boils down to is it is Rock and Roll all over again.

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    That said, I find this local dude to be one of the corniest white rappers I have ever had to witness in person.... even though he may be a nice guy or whatever.

http://thisguyrocks.com/photos.html

Gotta love the clutch & swallow-typa mic style, though.

meaty, y're not gonna rep for Qwel? i know, we were told not to, nevermind.....

but of course. Qwel is definitly my favorite white dude that raps nowadays. I know the dude quite well, and know what his life has been and is like, and he is the realest "white" rapper I have ever come across. I left him out though as to not play favorites, or look like a carpetbaggeur

He's not everyones cup of tea due to the subject matter he chooses, but I gaurantee you he's never jumped up and down and screamed "come on! Get up!" or "when Im on the mic" or "HIIIIP HOOOP DOOONT STOOP!". I'm actually mixing our new album in between posts

But what is the real purpose of a thread like this?

OK, I'll explain further. In my town, there is a freeway that conveniently splits a white side of town from a black/latino side of town.

Black/Latino mc's who wish to perform on the white side of town face discrimination like a mufucka. Therefore they resort to pretty much sticking to their side of town for shows.

Meanwhile the white mc's who do get booked on theri own side of town glorify themselves in the absense of real rap mc's. Since they as a rule never travel to the black/Latino side of town, they seem to think that their only competition as mc's is themselves.

It's that contrived sense of superiority that's been rubbing me the wrong way as of late.

So I just felt like venting.

• meaty, y're not gonna rep for Qwel? i know, we were told not to, nevermind.....

but of course. Qwel is definitly my favorite white dude that raps nowadays. I know the dude quite well, and know what his life has been and is like, and he is the realest "white" rapper I have ever come across. I left him out though as to not play favorites, or look like a carpetbaggeur

He's not everyones cup of tea due to the subject matter he chooses, but I gaurantee you he's never jumped up and down and screamed "come on! Get up!" or "when Im on the mic" or "HIIIIP HOOOP DOOONT STOOP!". I'm actually mixing our new album in between posts

Right on. "The Harvest" is a good album. Xian rap raers?

• hogginthefogghogginthefogg 6,098 Posts
    Black/Latino mc's who wish to perform on the white side of town face discrimination like a mufucka. Therefore they resort to pretty much sticking to their side of town for shows.

Meanwhile the white mc's who do get booked on theri own side of town glorify themselves in the absense of real rap mc's. Since they as a rule never travel to the black/Latino side of town, they seem to think that their only competition as mc's is themselves.

Has MC Overlord become white since I left Austin?

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    so the criteria for this thread is to insult people based on their skintone?

can your next thread be about how ineffecient people are based on their skin color?

oh and don't let my questions derail this beauty of a thread.

Just tell me what races should be relegated to certain positions in life so I don't make the social faux pas of assuming that peoples abilities aren't based on color

I remember a few years ago when the Quannum tour came through here. I went to go see it. I had seen Blackalicious just kill it with De La Soul at a private party a year before. I was kinda feeling Lifesavas. I thought they were alright as far as nerd hop. I dug that track where they were talking with there past and futures selves. It was one of the weirdest hip hop show experiences I have ever had.
    It didn't feel like a hip hop show. I looked at the crowd and wondered did I stumbled into a Dave Matthews show? Was Weezer going to play? I looked around and noticed there were like nine black people there. Most of them were on stage. The show was good but it never felt right.
    Who is that white cat from Minn that claims to be black because his father was black? I don't think it counts if it is your stepfather.
    Those who are into the "so-called underground" often act as if what they are into is vastly superior. Most of them were listening to emo a few months prior. Cats who don't understand why T.R.O.Y. is one of the best songs ever recorded.
    I could go on and on. What is all boils down to is it is Rock and Roll all over again.

The only white member of Lifesavas is their dj.

And I was at that show as well. It felt just right to me.

I don't know, I don't necessarily trip over who shows up to watch a performance. But I do get somewhat bent out of shape having to watch someone making a complete mockery of what is being called a rap performance.

And also, I think too many have had it hammered into their heads that TROY is the greatest song ever at the expense of other obvious choices like...................................................Dusted and Dusgusted.

• But what is the real purpose of a thread like this?

OK, I'll explain further. In my town, there is a freeway that conveniently splits a white side of town from a black/latino side of town.

It's that contrived sense of superiority that's been rubbing me the wrong way as of late.

Is the gist of your post pretty much Austin-centric then?

I think you've made some pretty valid points.

How many white rappers think they are going to "save hiphop from itself"?

At the same time, I dig much of the P&C camp and some of the G4 cats. Not that I think those groups/crews necessarily fall into that category either.

• DJAckDJAck 255 Posts
    oh and don't forget about those awful white women!

I love how Guzzo always tries to find circumstantial reasons why nobody likes him.

No dude, it ain't your skin color, it ain't your religion or cultural heritage...it's just you.

But what is the real purpose of a thread like this?

allgood, trust me, its that way in almost every city in the US. Rarely do southside or westside rappers get love on the north side of Chicago, unless they've already hit it big in the media. This is odd, because theres probobly 60% more recorded output from these areas combined, than there is on the northside. Part of it is poor distribution, and the other part is alot of white people just wanna hear "HIIIIP HOOPPP, DOOONT STOPPP" and "EVERYBODY GET UP! JUMP JUMP JUMP!!"

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    I love how Guzzo always tries to find circumstantial reasons why nobody likes him.

No dude, it ain't your skin color, it ain't your religion or cultural heritage...it's just you.

dude trust me I really don't want to start anything with anyone as "deep" as you, and my comment was not about some Archaic vs. Guzzo.

But you make a post saying why do certain people think they have an ability to do something and you base their ability on something as trivial (AKA idiotic) as skintone well then you need to check yourself.