Flute Funk

froovyfroovy 86 Posts
edited January 2016 in Music Talk
What's the best flute funk 45? Any recommends?

Comments

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    James Rivers "bad bad whiskey" has one of the most impressive flutes I've ever heard.
    There's also some a pretty intense flute on Johnny Holiday "nobody loves me but my mama (and she might be jivin' too)"

both tracks are more blues funk than straight funk but personal faves.

normaly I rather stay away from flute-heavy tracks because flutes can get kinda ear piercing on the dancefloor...

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    Obvious one would be Bobbi Humphrey - Harlem River Drive/Blacks and Blues

• DrJoelDrJoel 932 Posts
    Not Funk, but i have been stuck on the Traffic tune, "Freedom Rider". It's got flute, sax, organ...this is a huge song. The flute works so well on this tune, there is a solo section in which the flute doubles up very nicely. Not a perfect match for this topic, but worth a mention all the same. Does anyone happen to have this on mp3 that they could up?

• tuneuptuneup 586 Posts

yes....but I think I prefer the S.O.U.L. version.

• froovyfroovy 86 Posts

yes....but I think I prefer the S.O.U.L. version.

The SOUL version is great, the kenny burrell version is also good, thanks for all the recommends...

• froovyfroovy 86 Posts
    Kenny Burrell - Burning Spear.mp3

Can someone post up the James Rivers mp3 please?

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    I hope the nice folks at Rehashmedia won't hate me for an increase of bandwith...
    http://www.rehashmedia.com/audio/jamesrivers.ram
    This is Part1, Pt2 is much more intense...

• froovyfroovy 86 Posts
    I hope the nice folks at Rehashmedia won't hate me for an increase of bandwith...

Thanks, but when I click on the link I get an error, file does not exist?

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    Ken Munsen - superflute 7" is good.
    Um, it's more fusion but there's some great funky flute on Jason Lindh's LPs, his best track is "second line strut" IMO.

One of my fav funky slute numbers of all time is Pleasure Web's 'music man'.

Oh, and its more jazz funk but Jeremy Steig's 'Alias' (on 'Legwork') is straight kiler.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,896 Posts
    Love those first two tracks off the Pied Piper of Funkingham album.

Fluterific!

• lambertlambert 1,166 Posts
    I was just listening again to the dynatones "the fife piper" and that cannot go ignored. The sihlouettes, of course, is really that high flying flute shit.

I'm starting to really dig horn arrrangements that have piccolo accenting the melody right on top of everything else. It's just like that final cherry on top that really drives home a catchy melodic line. (i.e. gap mangione, arthur verocai, roger simard)

• Harold Alexander "Mama Soul"

• 6fran506fran50 266 Posts
    "popcorn with a feeling" from the james brown LP "it's a mother" and released in 45 under the name of steve soul is great too

• high_chigh_c 1,384 Posts

Thanks, but when I click on the link I get an error, file does not exist?

all files work for me... but I have received a few emails from people who can't get the real files to work. Could have something to do with the 1991 real encoder I use. Dunno. I'd suggest downgrading your version of realplayer.

and yeah, the flip of the JAmes Rivers is ill. Dude takes a break from his piping to blow a party favor and then immediately hops back on the flute.

and speaking of flutin. is there anything iller than Spitting Image JB's LAtin?
    http://www.funk45.com/Index.asp?funk=music&search=1258&cat=id

• HawkeyeHawkeye 896 Posts
    BEST FLUTE FUNK

Peace
    Hawkeye

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    Look folls, it's all about "The Funky Flute" by Dr. Dre featuring Jimmy Z! Ya'll remember this one?

Plaese to download and listen:

http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?action=download&ufid=32C6295A3ABD08AB

• froovyfroovy 86 Posts
    BEST FLUTE FUNK

Peace
    Hawkeye

Thanks for this track, never miheard it before now - it's blasting out of my speakers as we speak, thanks Hawkeye!!
    How about this as a contender for best flute funk - Johnny Harris - Stepping Stones

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    cosign on the james rivers...here is parts one and two, kinda difficult to do and it isnt a perfect match, i think there is actually a half of second of music missing between side one and side two.

http://www.shangri.com/Ebay/Sounds/rivers

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,896 Posts
    While, in no way are they "FUNK". These flutey tracks aways get me day moving!

St. Germain - So Flute

Fantastic Plastic Machine - Whistle Song

• DJFerrariDJFerrari 2,411 Posts

This shit is bananas... maybe more prog than funk, but damn is it hot!

Oh, I'm American and I like the Al Foster Band 45

• LordNOLordNO 202 Posts
    While yall are bringing up things outside the realm of funk, I was on a jazz flute kick for a minute recently and

Roland Kirk's "I talk with the spirits" LP

and

The Chris Hinze Combination "stoned flute" LP
    are both recommended. The Hinze is one of those ultra fulfilling fusion records that's quite free, and locks into a loose, funky groove towards the end.

• froovyfroovy 86 Posts
    Never really noticed the flute in this track before now - Fire - Flight To Cuba

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    I'm surprised no ones mentioned this yet

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    not a 45, some very nice funk flute tracks

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    Ken Munson - superflute 7" is good.

Hey,

Actually, his LP is OK as well (not great). It does have a break on there, so it's all gravy.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• oxnardcoreoxnardcore 141 Posts
    straight fiyah:

• RAW_HAMBURGERRAW_HAMBURGER 1,438 Posts
    Harold Alexander "Mama Soul"

and

i recently was informed that this is a bootleg, originally an italian record, has any one seen the og ?

• djrdjr 511 Posts
    Harold Alexander "Mama Soul"

and

i recently was informed that this is a bootleg, originally an italian record, has any one seen the og ?

I thought the boots were only done as white labels.
    I'm not what you mean by originally an italian record. The label looks like it is the usa press of an italian recording.