Jay-Z commercial for HP Intel Notebooks

CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
edited June 2006 in Strut Central
Off the chain.

Comments

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    i posted this last week, but it is kinda gangsta.

• BlackmarksBlackmarks 155 Posts

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    The thing about Jay-Z that I appreciate is that, deep down inside, the dude just seems like a mega-dork and I mean that in the most complimentary way possible.

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    The thing about Jay-Z that I appreciate is that, deep down inside, the dude just seems like a mega-dork and I mean that in the most complimentary way possible.

wow

I hope a Pharrell one is next.

• theory9theory9 1,128 Posts

wow

I really hope not.

What's funny about this ad is that it borrows the basics of many of Apple's campaigns but then "PCs it up". If you don't know what I mean, peep: http://youtube.com/watch?v=0pXL5_RvGrs&search=ipod

• snosno 332 Posts
    wow

Heaven forbid.

• BlackmarksBlackmarks 155 Posts
    What's funny about this ad is that it borrows the basics of many of Apple's campaigns but then "PCs it up". If you don't know what I mean, peep: http://youtube.com/watch?v=0pXL5_RvGrs&search=ipod

that's really funny.

• Phill_MostPhill_Most 4,594 Posts

I don't get this. I would like to understand, though.

Does everyone think that is really Jay-Z doing that commercial (not the voice-over, but the guy in the suit moving his hands around)? Jay needs to tone it down with the suits.

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,902 Posts
    Jay needs to tone it down with the suits.

Yeah, he needs to revert to identikit sportswear like [insert every other rapper evarrrrr here]

Flav had his clocks and glasses. But Jay has opted out of that game by going with a suit. I say

• wooshiewooshie 490 Posts
    I'd recognise those hands anywhere.

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts

Haha, that's pretty funny. And spot-on.

• KaushikKaushik 320 Posts
    Here's the link to the HP site with the Jay-Z and Shaun White ads.

You know those Hawiian Sophie videos and what not, back when Jay-Z looked like a teacher's pet or whatever? As far and successful as he's come, there are times when Jay still has a bit of that dorkiness still in him. I don't care how many units he's moved or vials he slanged - Jay-Z is kind of dorky and we forget this because he's created a charismatic, allluring persona that seems to exude nothing but swagger and confidence but it can be a thin facade. I'm not suggesting Jay tries too hard - though I think that's a debatable point - but in this ad, it's like the geeky Jay is reaserting itself even when he's trying to talk about his big balla plans and what not. And for me, I appreciate that he can still seem like a little kid and out of his element. It's not easy being hard all the time.

• hogginthefogghogginthefogg 6,098 Posts
    Jay needs to tone it down with the suits.

Come on, Phill. You weren't into that full windsor knot?

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts

Haha, that's pretty funny. And spot-on.

That is funny. It's also funny how serious some Apple people are about "their" shit.

That is funny. It's also funny how serious some Apple people are about "their" shit.

I'm not one of them though. I mean, I can laugh for a minute at this and Apple's usual Microsoft-taunting ad campaigns, but at the end of the day I don't really care. I just prefer OS X over Windows as an operating system and I think Apple makes solid products that have served me well for many years. You got to pick the tools you see most fit for your purpose (and bank account). The hardcore feud thing is for the geeks.

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts

You know those Hawiian Sophie videos and what not, back when Jay-Z looked like a teacher's pet or whatever? As far and successful as he's come, there are times when Jay still has a bit of that dorkiness still in him. I don't care how many units he's moved or vials he slanged - Jay-Z is kind of dorky and we forget this because he's created a charismatic, allluring persona that seems to exude nothing but swagger and confidence but it can be a thin facade. I'm not suggesting Jay tries too hard - though I think that's a debatable point - but in this ad, it's like the geeky Jay is reaserting itself even when he's trying to talk about his big balla plans and what not. And for me, I appreciate that he can still seem like a little kid and out of his element. It's not easy being hard all the time.
    Thank you for making me laugh, Mr. Wang.

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts

I'm not one of them though. I mean, I can laugh for a minute at this and Apple's usual Microsoft-taunting ad campaigns, but at the end of the day I don't really care. I just prefer OS X over Windows as an operating system and I think Apple makes solid products that have served me well for many years. You got to pick the tools you see most fit for your purpose (and bank account). The hardcore feud thing is for the geeks.

I've always had to use PC because of work related compatibility issues. I prefer Apples though.

They should go ahead and make the next iPods like this. So these idiots can really make out with it.

• dgriotdgriot 388 Posts

How dare you be sensible and rational about such matters. Hand over your spare USB cable, son.

How dare you be sensible and rational about such matters. Hand over your spare USB firewire cable, son.

• G_BalliandoG_Balliando 3,916 Posts

he does look mad dorky on the back of that jaz single.... i was never able to completely forget that image either. jay has always been somewhat of a dork to me. what's cool is that he's a dork who never gave a fuck about being a dork. which makes him cool. oh, and the fact that he's one of the better rappers to really rise to the top in the last 10 years or so... and hey, would you rather see him in a suit? or roca wear? really....

How dare you be sensible and rational about such matters. Hand over your spare USB cable, son.

You know what, I used to be a Mac missionary, but the main reason why I'm not anymore is: I don't have to. People are converting by themselves. My friends who used to be staunch windows supporters are now like: "Hey, should I get the macbook or the macbook pro?". I'm a computer science student and just in the past year I've seen the number of mactops in the university lunchroom more than double.

My girlfriend who has been running with a Dell laptop for years is becoming increasingly frustrated with it after I moved in last september and she was able to observe my daily M.O. "Wow, can you do that so quick and easy? I want a mac too!". That's all she talks about these days. And I have done absolutely nothing to force my opinion on her.

Can I keep my cable?

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    The first time I saw the Shaun White ad, I just felt bad for the guy.

I mean you win Olympic Gold and your new sponsor doesn't think you're pretty enough to slang their product, so they find a way around it...sheesh.

• verb606verb606 2,518 Posts

he does look mad dorky on the back of that jaz single.... i was never able to completely forget that image either. jay has always been somewhat of a dork to me. what's cool is that he's a dork who never gave a fuck about being a dork. which makes him cool. oh, and the fact that he's one of the better rappers to really rise to the top in the last 10 years or so... and hey, would you rather see him in a suit? or roca wear? really....

i always love hearing him talk, because he's got this sort of squeaky dork voice that you'd expect from the mail clerk at your office. Plus his real demeanor is kinda humble and stuff. if you only saw him like that you'd never imagine he's the rock star/illest MC in the game that he is.

I love Jay (no ayo). gotta say that he's

• djstefdjstef 534 Posts
    Does everyone think that is really Jay-Z doing that commercial (not the voice-over, but the guy in the suit moving his hands around)?
    No, too skinny.

You've seen this picture, right? I heard he was very nervous at the Microsoft thing after meeting Bill.

• dgriotdgriot 388 Posts

You know what, I used to be a Mac missionary, but the main reason why I'm not anymore is: I don't have to. People are converting by themselves. My friends who used to be staunch windows supporters are now like: "Hey, should I get the macbook or the macbook pro?". I'm a computer science student and just in the past year I've seen the number of mactops in the university lunchroom more than double.

My girlfriend who has been running with a Dell laptop for years is becoming increasingly frustrated with it after I moved in last september and she was able to observe my daily M.O. "Wow, can you do that so quick and easy? I want a mac too!". That's all she talks about these days. And I have done absolutely nothing to force my opinion on her.

Can I keep my cable?

ha - when I was in comp. eng., it was a neck-and-neck race between some linux version and 2000, but from what I hear from friends still in school, Mac has gained some ground. Like you, my peeve is people who just blindly advocate one system for all purposes. If the person already shown a distaste for a certain OS? Great. Otherwise, when people ask me, I generally tell 'em to map out a budget and what their chief uses are going to be, research some on what they'd use it most for and what software options are available for each OS, try out each one's interface and software for a few days if possible (borrow from a friend or whatever), and go from there.

Upon further consideration, you may keep the cable....for now.

• KaushikKaushik 320 Posts

We need a caption for this picture.

BILL: Hey Shawn, nice suit. Is it Shawn by the way? Or do you prefer to be called Jay-Z? Or Jigga? Hova maybe? I'm confused.

JIGGA: You can call me Shawn. See how my hanky matches the Microsoft logo colors? Hey, I've got this XP problem, it crashes whenever I'm transferring photos from my digital camera, can you help me out after the show?

• jamesjames chicago 1,863 Posts

I think you're probably right. No one gets to be as good as Jay (or Ghost or 'Face or Bun or Nas or whoever) by existing one hundred percent within authenticity (AKA ???the realness???). All of the good ones have that little bit of distance--that little bit of the student, the outside observer--in them. The realest dudes will never be the best, and none of the best dudes are the realest. This is fact.

Which is why it pains me so that Jay is kind of a pussy. He???s obviously brilliant???a real watcher, thinker, deliberator, all that???and obviously in possession of his own thoughts and of a decently eccentric view. And yet, he's always hedging his bets, hiding behind ???what the people want??? (???Y???all won???t let me be the kind of MC I want to be!???), and even his "weird" moves (e.g. that Linkin Park atrocity), as unexpected as they may be in the abstract sense, never fail to make perfect commercial sense. He???s got vast talent, but I really can???t see him ever reaching beyond its borders, at least not in any truly ???what-the-fuck?!??? way. I keep waiting for that deep self-confidence???the kind that only comes with absolute power and snowstorm-in-August money???to kick in, and for him to come with some serious I. Do. Not. Give. A. Fuck.-type stuff. My yardstick for this kind of thing is (don???t laugh) Puffy???s ???Fix??? remix. 1994 or 95, the height of Bad Boy???s cobra clutch, Blackstreet, ODB, Slash from Guns N??? Roses, and motherfucking Fishbone; commercial single, with a video, promotion, and the whole nine. Shit was Krayzelburg, and I still can't believe it really happened. Now, whether or not Jay actually does something like that is irrelevant???what matters is that I can???t even conceive of him doing something like that. Watching that Timbaland shit in Fade To Black breaks my heart, because two seconds after it becomes apparent (to both Jay and to the viewer) that the ???Dirt Off Your Shoulders??? beat is some gargantuan, Heart of Sogguth mind-control shit of the absolute highest caliber--a beat capable of ending all worlds--it also becomes apparent that the version he ended up using is slightly watered-down, and minus a few layers of UFO-wreckage synth. And about two seconds after that, it becomes apparent that, well, of course he didn???t use the fully-leaded version???Jay just wouldn???t. Although he???s one of the few MCs with the skill and charisma and raw power to saddle that beat in its uncut form, he just wouldn???t. And he won???t. He???ll never really go off the map. I think he's probably the best MC, but he'll never be my favorite, because he just does not have that burn. Or, if he's got it, he'll never really full-bore come with it.

I would love love love to be proven wrong about all of this, but I don???t expect I will.