Any Garage Rock Heads?

2»

Comments

• Kit & The Outlaws: Don't Tread on Me

Black Knight?

That's the one I have. I think it came out on Philips too...

I've seen three pressings of this one.....2 on Black Knight with one listing the band as The Outlaws and the other Kit & The Outlaws and then the nationally distributed Philips press....believe it or not here in Texas the Philips press is the hardest to find.

I believe the one I have is a light blue label (w/black logo) listed as Kit and the Outlaws. I've heard that the Philips pressing is rarer too.

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    Texas garage Raer, recently sold this one to the mighty Doc Ira

couple of italian garage raers

• nrichnrich 932 Posts

how is (was) this?
    There seemed to be a hell of a lot of good garage from Texas.

I've actually got some tapes from a band out of Amarillo that never got released that's pretty solid.
    Might have to get around to posting those up.

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts

how is (was) this?
    There seemed to be a hell of a lot of good garage from Texas.

I've actually got some tapes from a band out of Amarillo that never got released that's pretty solid.
    Might have to get around to posting those up.

it was super snotty stuff with jangly guitars, no fuzz or anything. Not really my cuppa tea. It was re-ished on the "Fort Worth Teen Scene" LPs. If you dont have those (3 volumes) I will try to get around to burning them for ya. There is some great stuff on those comps and all from Tarrant County!

• Recently picked up the Nomads "Thoughts of a Madman". Great tune...

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts

• soulmarcosasoulmarcosa 4,296 Posts
    Love the Leather Boy 45

Yeah - longtime white whale for me, though I have to admit I've never really looked hard for it. Finally copped a stock copy for $13 ppd. on eBay with no other bidders.

Kit & The Outlaws is mandatory D/FW garage fare, what label did you score??

Philips label. Thanks SexyBNyce for this one!

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    And that Monk's LP is fucking wild.

Gary Burger, Monks main main in 2003

• sabadabadasabadabada 5,966 Posts

Saw a great show in Mpls years ago that was Girl Trouble and the A-Bones in the middle of July....what a great night. I never dug their records, but live they were great (this is way too true of most garage bands, not a casual dis).

• sabadabadasabadabada 5,966 Posts

Saw a great show in Mpls years ago that was Girl Trouble and the A-Bones in the middle of July....what a great night. I never dug their records, but live they were great (this is way too true of most garage bands, not a casual dis).

If the A-Bones were playing than that is years ago. I saw them once in Bellingham at one of the first Garageshocks. I think that Billy either owns or distributes Norton records which has lots of garagerock, junkrock, schlock and 50's rockabilly.

Others I remember are:

Gashuffer
    M-80
    Fallouts
    Marble Orchard

Always loved the Fastbacks and was always sorry they never crossed over, they got close.

All those old Estrus and Poplama bands before Subpop ruined everything.

If the A-Bones were playing than that is years ago. I saw them once in Bellingham at one of the first Garageshocks. I think that Billy either owns or distributes Norton records which has lots of garagerock, junkrock, schlock and 50's rockabilly.

Others I remember are:

Gashuffer
    M-80
    Fallouts
    Marble Orchard

Always loved the Fastbacks and was always sorry they never crossed over, they got close.

All those old Estrus and Poplama bands before Subpop ruined everything.

Fallouts had some nice stuff...tried to like Gashuffer, but never got 'em much.

Billy and Miriam do indeed run Norton, got to know them pretty well back in the day. Those 2 have records for days and some great stories to boot. For you youngsters, Miriam Linna was the first drummer in the Cramps before they achieved their notoriety, then she went on to drum with Billy in the A-Bones, and the Zantees before that (and what other bands, I feel like I am missing one), as well as put out records by groups like Untamed Youth(a personal fave), The Henchmen, and The Dictators.

I have a funny story about Estrus. My old band was straight up that alley on most all fronts, so when I was visiting a girlfriend in Seattle about, oh, '92-'93 or so, I went to check out a gig the Mono Men(who ran Estrus) were doing. I think they were playing some new club with Everclear(I swear that's who it was). I was going to give them a demo and some 45s we had released, and had even arranged to meet them, but when I saw them play I thought they were so terrible (plus they had mustaches!)that I opted not to even go there. I still regret it, because a)even though they weren't great, they couldn't have sucked that bad, and b)only an insolent, impudent, idiotic, arrogant young fuck screws themselves and his band out of an opportunity like we probably would have had with Estrus. And I was just such a fuck at the time.

And Fastbacks were awesome live too, should have gone farther.

Young Fresh Fellows were a fave of mine in the 80s, fuckin' loved that shit, corny as they could be.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Last few years have been good to me in terms of picking up garage rock, mostly NW, but LA, midwest, Texas as well.
    I had a few of the most expensive NW 45s. Like most other genres the rarest is not the best.

To me, The Sonics were just light years ahead of the pack. Psycho was '64 I think. Everything about that record, the title, the flip, the energy, the execution, is way better than the Stones imitation and rudimentary blues instrumentals of most other garage rock bands.

Disclaimer, I am not a true fan/collector of garage rock.